Snarky Brides

Case of bullying or case of no common sense?

I don't post much, but since I love reading the debates you all get into on this board and this story made me angry, I thought I'd see what your opinions are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-bullying-fox_n_1129731.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HP%2FEntertainment+%28Entertainment+on+The+Huffington+Post%29

CN: Author has written a book based on classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon where he thinks Rudoplh is being bullied by Santa Claus.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?

• at the end doesnt rudolph over come all the teasing and prove them wrong?! seriously this guy is thinking too much about a classic holiday show. 
  • Huh, I guess he missed the end where everyone loves Rudolph and the misfit toys and the Abominable Snowman and everyone is accepted for who and what they are.
  • omfg. The dude who wrote this book should be tarred and fucking feathered. I'm so sick of overly analytical pop psychology crap like this.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:7ab7b3b7-c836-41ce-b543-63954b0ef9a0">Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't post much, but since I love reading the debates you all get into on this board and this story made me angry, I thought I'd see what your opinions are. <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-bullying-fox_n_1129731.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HP%2FEntertainment+%28Entertainment+on+The+Huffington+Post%29" rel='nofollow'>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-bullying-fox_n_1129731.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HP%2FEntertainment+%28Entertainment+on+The+Huffington+Post%29</a> CN: Author has written a book based on classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon where he thinks Rudoplh is being bullied by Santa Claus.
    Posted by melminna[/QUOTE]

Oh good LORD!  It does not PROMOTE bullying, it deters it!

Rudolph is bullied/made fun of for his nose.  Then the reindeer realize that his nose is gonna save their asses.  It deters bullying because it gives the message not to bully people because a) it hurst their feelings and b) you might actually need them someday.  It promotes CELBRATING differences, not HIDING them.
  • Where's the book on poor Hermey?  I mean come on, if you've got to create a victim out of a classic story character, it damn better well be Hermey.  Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any profession, you know. 
  • I was bullied as a child. I love this movie. Never once did it occur to me that my favorite Christmas movie was fueling all those kids who didn't like me.

I FEEL TRICKED!

Some people need to find a hobby.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everyone was bullied at some point in their childhood. I don't know if bullying REALLY has gotten worse, or if kids have just gotten whinier, encouraged by their own whiney parents. That's probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever.
  • I'm kind of surprised Fox has this story..  It seems like way more of an over-eager liberal thing to claim. ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:628557d3-4e5f-4c9b-9163-992571ac6d91">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everyone was bullied at some point in their childhood. I don't know if bullying REALLY has gotten worse, or if kids have just gotten whinier, encouraged by their own whiney parents. That's probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]
    I agree with your opinion, unpopular as it may be.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:628557d3-4e5f-4c9b-9163-992571ac6d91">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everyone was bullied at some point in their childhood. I don't know if bullying REALLY has gotten worse, or if kids have just gotten whinier, encouraged by their own whiney parents. That's probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever.

I think it's both.  Back when I was in hs, there weren't cell phones and facebook to further the harassment.  Kids have more access to information and each other these days.  I think that's part of the problem... but then again, it all goes back to proper parenting.
    not at all unpopular in my book.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with all of you.  When I heard this on the radio this morning about my favorite Christmas show (and I did watch it on tv recently), I was stunned that there was actually someone out there that could take a harmless old children's movie and make it into something it's not.  LIke you all said, to me, it teaches tolerance and that you never know when you might need that person.  It makes me scared for my nieces, nephew and future step-children and what future they face with psycho-babble like this out there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:83a688b2-3c07-459d-82f2-56ae82e28030">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I think it's both.  Back when I was in hs, there weren't cell phones and facebook to further the harassment.  Kids have more access to information and each other these days.  I think that's part of the problem... but then again, it all goes back to proper parenting.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I think, in the past, there was bullying but it was in different forms. When I was in high school school I was pushed and called butterball by another kid. I think now kids are bullied in different ways but still bullied.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:83a688b2-3c07-459d-82f2-56ae82e28030">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I think it's both.  Back when I was in hs, <strong>there weren't cell phones and facebook to further the harassment.</strong>  Kids have more access to information and each other these days.  I think that's part of the problem... but then again, it all goes back to proper parenting.
    I can't imagine how much harder my childhood would've been had facebook been around. On the other hand, though, I kind of feel like it's a situation similar to what we tell people here: if you don't want other people's opinions, don't put your life on the Internet. Facebook security settings make it pretty easy to control who can and can't comment on your FB page.
  • Also, I think it's lame that kids are so censored from things that never used to be censored. I watched Rudolph, I watched cartoons where an animal kept trying to blow up another animal, and I think I turned out just fine.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:628557d3-4e5f-4c9b-9163-992571ac6d91">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:

Not unpopular at all.  My FI and I talk about this alot.  We get so frustrated hearing about kids whining about the smallest of issues.  When he and I were in HS, if you had a problem with someone, if you were a boy, you fought it out; if you were a girl, you either fought it out, yelled it out or ignored it and ignored each other.  I know we didn't whine to our parents about stuff.  It makes me wonder what happened to todays parents when they were kids and why all their kids do seem whine and complain more.  Were they really, truly bullied or just wimps? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LC, I agree with you to a point.  I think kids (and their parents) are more likely to scream bloody murder at the first bra snap (which good lord was the favorite recess activity of boys when I was in 6th grade) but I wonder if teasing/bullying/harassment has actually become more cruel.    Also, when I was in school, any teasing or bullying pretty much ended at last period or the bus ride home - now kids can also be reached at all hours on FB, cell phones...

• I really think that there are just people who want something to analyze.
    Then after they are done analyzing it to the bitter end, they want to spread the false panic/anger etc.

I had an art teacher in 7th grade who was like this. I was never good at anything to do with art, and she would tell me to release myself and just paint. So I did. Red and blue stripes. She took a look at my painting, coughed and called my parents because she interpreted it as a sign of oppression. WTF? I'm 12. You told me to "just paint." so... I just painted.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:1942dc69-ea8e-4b18-a1af-1614e1346392">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]LC, I agree with you to a point.  I think kids (and their parents) are more likely to scream bloody murder at the first bra snap (which good lord was the favorite recess activity of boys when I was in 6th grade) but I wonder if teasing/bullying/harassment has actually become <strong>more cruel.</strong>    Also, when I was in school, any teasing or bullying pretty much ended at last period or the bus ride home - now kids can also be reached at all hours on FB, cell phones...
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]
    I doubt it. Kids can be hellaciously mean to one another, and that's always been true. And if you're getting bullied on the Internet, stay off the Internet. Sure it's not fair that you don't get to use something because someone else ruins it for you, but that's the tradeoff sometimes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:41b88d28-6583-475e-af17-c38ff3fbd379">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I doubt it. Kids can be hellaciously mean to one another, and that's always been true. And if you're getting bullied on the Internet, stay off the Internet. Sure it's not fair that you don't get to use something because someone else ruins it for you, but that's the tradeoff sometimes.

I had a student once and her step sister made a blog about how much she sucked. My student wasn't on the internet but step sister was and created it. So I do think, in a way, it can be worse. At least when I was bullied, it wasn't for the whole school to see.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know. I wouldn't say kids are more cruel these days, I think it's just that they've found other methods of cruelty.
    Violence and bullying are being taken more seriously when they occur on school grounds. (At least they are in my experience.) You can't just walk up to someone and call them a slut or punch them in the mouth without reprimand.
    The internet provides them with a sense of anonymity to continue their cruelty, and it is harder to track down and discipline accordingly.
  • Well sure Koda, but that doesn't stop them from posting on their own page about you or texting other kids about you.  You can make it to where you don't have to see it, but it doesn't make it stop.  At least with the bra snaps, it typically ended right then when I threatened to out him about playing with Barbies or tell the teacher. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:41b88d28-6583-475e-af17-c38ff3fbd379">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I doubt it. Kids can be hellaciously mean to one another, and that's always been true. A<strong>nd if you're getting bullied on the Internet, stay off the Internet. </strong>Sure it's not fair that you don't get to use something because someone else ruins it for you, but that's the tradeoff sometimes.

Instead of the bold, I think it shoudl be "if your kid is being bullied on the internet, keep them off the internet." or "if your kid is being an asshole on the internet, restrict him from the internet."

Parents would rather blame the school for something than actually, you know, parent their children.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:41b88d28-6583-475e-af17-c38ff3fbd379">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I doubt it. Kids can be hellaciously mean to one another, and that's always been true. And if you're getting bullied on the Internet, stay off the Internet. Sure it's not fair that you don't get to use something because someone else ruins it for you, but that's the tradeoff sometimes.

Ok, so I stay off the internet but the rest of my classmates are still on there reading sh!t about me, which of course will get back to me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:a9ebdbc2-6292-4ff1-9668-07e9c0d601b6">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : Instead of the bold, I think it shoudl be "if your kid is being bullied on the internet, keep them off the internet." or "if your kid is being an asshole on the internet, restrict him from the internet." Parents would rather blame the school for something than actually, you know, parent their children.
    I completely agree with this.  We had a story in the news the other day (it was removed shortly after) about a 14 year old girl who may or may not have been bullied over FB and her cell phone.  She committed suicide (supposedly because of the bullying but also maybe because her BF was cheating on her.  The supposed bullies may or may not have been arrested.  Because they yanked it from the media the details are all over the place.)

I just kept thinking where the hell are the parents here?  Why didn't they restrict her from using the internet?  Why didn't they take her cell phone away?  It's their job to protect her and they failed.

Sure even if they had restricted her internet access, assuming the bullies actually existed, it all still would have been out there, but she wouldn't have been able to look at it all the time and let it eat away at her.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_case-of-bullying-case-of-common-sense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:401fbccd-c766-49b9-89f1-c6f1bcbd260bPost:b22c132a-5ac7-41a8-a319-7e54dda2aa19">Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case of bullying or case of no common sense? : I get this. I just don't see it as much different than olden days bullying. People spread plenty of rumors and talked plenty of shiit when I was in school. They didn't need cell phones or the internet to succeed at picking on someone. I think kids need to grow a tougher skin. Whenever I tattled on kids at school my mom would ignore me and my dad would just ask me what I planned to do about it.<strong>  I think parents need to teach their kids how to deal with asshole comments. It doesn't end in high school that's for sure</strong>.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

That's for damn sure.
  • Totally agree, B.

When I was in jr. high, my mom always had my password to my email account.  She has the passwords to my siblings (14 and 16) facebook accounts too.  She can check text messages.  I'm not sure she actually ever does that, but they know she can and would if needed. 
  • Same deal in my house, Steph.  Our computer was in the family room.  There was nothing happening on that computer my parents weren't fully aware of.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • I completely agree Koda, I'm just saying there are more opportunities, and farther reaching, for trash talk now than there were when I was a kid. 

If I came home whining about how a girl called me a slut for wearing black eyeliner, my dad would have said "And?".  However, if word got back to my parents that I was picking on another kid they would have grounded me for a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards