Illinois-Chicago
Options

Cantigny or Fulton's for Reception

I'm struggling between a "garden" themed wedding reception at Cantigny Golf in Wheaton IL or an "urban chic" wedding reception at Fulton's on the River in River North neighborhood of Chicago.

Prices are pretty comporable although Cantigny will offer a 6 hour reception and 4.5 hours bar, versus 5 hour reception and 4 hour open bar at Fulton's. 

Which has a better "wow" factor? Take the poll!

Re: Cantigny or Fulton's for Reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Fulton's because that's more the theme that I'm going with because that's what FI and I wanted.  However, I think you and FI should decide what you want/like more and base it on that.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I personally have been to one too many gold club weddings. And if you get lucky with the weather, the patio at fulton's has such an amazing view... great for pictures.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Where is your ceremony?  Where are guests staying and what is the price difference btwn hotels in burbs/downtown?

I'd consider all of this...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have a lot of out of town guests, I'd go with Cantigny.  Hotels are waaayy cheaper out by Wheaton vs. downtown Chicago.  If they are local, then really, it's a matter of whether you want the country garden feel, or downtown feel.  Fultons would work better for after-party, or for around downtown pics, the river skyline view.  Cantigny is absolutely gorgeous.  You just need to decide on the mood you'd rather have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might want to double check the prices between Cantigny and the place in the city.

FI had his heart set on a wedding in the city but when you added in all the extra taxes (soda tax), the costs of valets, having to use more expensive required vendors, Cantigny (and everything out in the burbs) was much cheaper.

Also, Hz has some good questions- where is the ceremony? That is a huge factor.

EDIT- Which building are you thinking of for Cantigny? We are doing Le Jardin (after my friend had a wonderful experience with the Red Oak Room) and are really regretting it. We are on our third coordinator who is not very responsive to emails/phone calls and our wedding is in 5 days! Our balance due was due 5 days ago and she stil hasn't given us what the amount is with our final head count (even though FI has called twice a day asking about it). She also asks for things that I have already sent her (I gave her a very specific list of total numbers and then broken down by the meals) and when FI called today, she was like "Oh, can I have a final head count please? Just a total number, not broken down by food choice?" WTF- I did that and even if I didn't, doesn't your computer have a calculator that you can add this stuff up yourself.

I am hoping that things are going to get better but as of right now, I would tell you to run as fast as you can away from Cantigny.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    quittingtimequittingtime member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the comments/advice/votes!

Our ceremony is in La Grange so it's about 30+ minutes each direction! 

We'll definiately do the city engagement session if we pick Cantigny, or the Cantigny engagement session if we pick Fulton's :)
  • Options
    quittingtimequittingtime member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were going to do the red oak room. Karen is fairly responsive but my last email inquiring about availability had no response. Overall it seems Cabtigny ha mixed reviews. I hope your day is still wonderful even though the coordinator is adding extra stress! Cantigny is gorgeous!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Fulton's?  I was set on it as our venue because it had the city feel I was looking for.  When we went to visit, I thought the layout was a bit awkward and the river smell was less than desirable.  We loved Spiaggia and Grand Piazza much better.
    Biorama
    September 2012 August Siggy Challenge ~ Wedding Preview
    185 image 116 image 69 image 0 image RSVP Date: August 10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why Cantigny Golf  course over Cantigny  musuem park (or what  ever it  is) ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding will be at Fulton's on the River and so far they've been awesome to work with.  All of my emails have been answered promptly and everyone has been friendly.  I also looked at Cantigny.  Fulton's is more expensive than Cantigny given the 11% city tax, but I loved the river view.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards