Snarky Brides
Options

Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....

Any tips you have on crate training, potty training, just great tips in general would be greatly appreciated.
We will be getting a pup come May, just in time to get it out an socialize with other dogs and people.

It's been years  since I've had a pup, Cleo was 6 when I met H and she was pretty much the perfect dog.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....

• Options
    Lemon is two and a half now but since she's a golden retriever FI got a crate large enough for a full-grown dog. Generally puppies shouldn't be in huge crates right away so FI bought an extra piece that divided it in half and makes them more comfortable. He also left the door open at night until she got used to it and always put one of her blankets in there so it would smell like her. 

I wasn't a part of FI's life when he got Lemon so I don't know how helpful this is. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    consistency, consistency, consistency. Especially at first.  We learned that if we came home too late from work or too early, Puck's 'schedule' was off. We also tried to leave and run errands or go to lunch or something both Saturday and Sunday so he'd still have the whole 'alone' time on the weekend.

now that they're older it's a lot easier to be flexible.  They still get extra destructive and crabby on a Monday after a week off or something, but not like before.  And socialize a lot, from the very beginning. I think that's had the biggest impact on Puck.  Levi is still a little skittish around new dogs, and I think it's because he never had any interaction until we got him at 8 months. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:288d1a6a-b89a-4166-b836-3a5ac5b41b46">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lemon is two and a half now but since she's a golden retriever FI got a crate large enough for a full-grown dog. Generally puppies shouldn't be in huge crates right away so FI bought an extra piece that divided it in half and makes them more comfortable. He also left the door open at night until she got used to it and always put one of her blankets in there so it would smell like her.  I wasn't a part of FI's life when he got Lemon so I don't know how helpful this is. 
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

No, I appreciate it Achi. I have read smaller crates for pups so they dont eleminate where they sleep.
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    Congrats!!  xH and I crate trained our old Tess right from the start.  Got us through the puppy/chewy stage.  She was a lab so that stage lasted longer.  We put in two old t-shirts of ours along with her blankets.  We also at first kept the crate in our room and then later moved it into another room.  We learned that the moment she noticed our eyes were open she wanted out of the crate.  Once we put the crate in another room, we were able to sleep in :)

ETA:  also when we were home, we still left the crate open for her.  Many times she'd just wander in there and lay down when she wanted some down time, esp if my son had friends over and they were being noisy.
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012

Positive reinforcement training for house breaking is key I think. Use the pee pads for in the house and teach the dog to only go on those. If they pee elsewhere on the floor mop up a little pee onto the pad then then put the puppy on the pad and give them a positive verbal command to let them know that's where you want them to go. To house break them completely taking them out frequently is very important. Get some small treats (I really like the Blue Buffalo bites or Zuke's minis for training) and when they go outside treat them and made a huge deal about it. Lots of dogs will be completely house broken in no time at all.

Be sure not to bring the puppy around other dogs until it gets all its vaccines, especially bortatella or whatever it's called. I highly recommend taking a puppy training class at a local PetSmart, they're really good for owner and puppy alike and will help you with leash training and walking too, plus it's good socialization for the dog.

And get a puppy kong and rope toys and a bunch of others to keep that chewing puppy busy. If it's in the puppy's reach and they chew it up, it's not the puppy's fault that you didn't put it away. I always get pissed when people get mad when their puppy chews up shoes or whatever BS when it's so easy to put these things away from where the dog can't get them like in a closet.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:58578a5f-3871-4e73-adb7-514da06b266b">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]consistency, consistency, consistency. Especially at first.  We learned that if we came home too late from work or too early, Puck's 'schedule' was off. We also tried to leave and run errands or go to lunch or something both Saturday and Sunday so he'd still have the whole 'alone' time on the weekend. now that they're older it's a lot easier to be flexible.  They still get extra destructive and crabby on a Monday after a week off or something, but not like before.  And socialize a lot, from the very beginning.<strong> I think that's had the biggest impact on Puck.  Levi is still a little skittish around new dogs, and I think it's because he never had any interaction until we got him at 8 months</strong>. 
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

This makes sense Steph. We read that (especially in protective breeds) that there is a period of puppyhood where they can get skittish, so you have to make everything "ok" show them not to be scared of everything, because once they are scared of that one thing, they usually are the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:3abf8804-d03e-422c-9189-74715f5163a7">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Positive reinforcement training for house breaking is key I think. Use the pee pads for in the house and teach the dog to only go on those. If they pee elsewhere on the floor mop up a little pee onto the pad then then put the puppy on the pad and give them a positive verbal command to let them know that's where you want them to go. To house break them completely taking them out frequently is very important. Get some small treats (I really like the Blue Buffalo bites or Zuke's minis for training) and when they go outside treat them and made a huge deal about it. Lots of dogs will be completely house broken in no time at all. Be sure not to bring the puppy around other dogs until it gets all its vaccines, especially bortatella or whatever it's called. I highly recommend taking a puppy training class at a local PetSmart, they're really good for owner and puppy alike and will help you with leash training and walking too, plus it's good socialization for the dog. And get a puppy kong and rope toys and a bunch of others to keep that chewing puppy busy. If it's in the puppy's reach and they chew it up, it's not the puppy's fault that you didn't put it away. I always get pissed when people get mad when their puppy chews up shoes or whatever BS when it's so easy to put these things away from where the dog can't get them like in a closet.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]

Thanks K, this is really helpful. We have been doing a lot of reading and we definately will be taking her to Petsmart classes.
  • Options
    With crate training, don't try and force it on them right away.  You need to work into it gradually.  

Also, like PP said you can buy a crate that will be big enough for the pup when it is full grown, and you can put a divider in and move that as the pup gets bigger.  It should be big enough for the pup to sit up, and lie down, but not too big that they can pee or poop in one section and lay in another.  Dogs instinctly will not poop/pee in the same area they eat or sleep.  Oh, and feeding them in the crate helps them get used to it too.

With potty training, consistency is the key.  Praise when they do go outside, but don't punish when they go in the house.  When that happens, just clean up the mess. And, if possible keep the dog tethered to you when you are at home  so you can take them outside right away when you start noticing signs that they need to go (circling, whimpering, etc).  

Go to a puppy class.  It's good for socialization and a trainer will be able to answer any questions you might have.  These kind of things are invaluable for new owners.  

knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    For sure, KD. Honestly, I think Puck is better off than Levi, too, because we had him when we were in an apartment.  So he got used to lots of random noises and tons of different people and cars and smells and stuff.  We've been trying to bring Levi to the dog park at least once/week (it's hard when it's so cold out!) and he's getting better. :)
  • Options
    Have special toys/treats that they only get in the crate. This will make it more fun and convince them that the crate is an awesome place.

We always say to introduce them to 100 new things in 100 days after they are vaccinated. People of all types (skin tone, hats, beards, hair styles, etc.), cars, bikes, kids, etc.
  • Options
    Consistency is vital! I always did the same routine before we went out: tell her "potty time!", put her leash on, lead her to the door, and go to the same spot in the yard.  After she did her business, she got 1/2 of a tiny treat and lots of praise before going back inside.  

This didn't work for me since I can't hear it, but my parents had good luck with their dogs with using a bell on the door handle.  Every time their dog went out, they would ring the bell.  Eventually she learned to go ring it herself when she needed to go out.

I used to be a fan of free feeding, but I've found that Lucy is much more "regular" if I feed her twice a day - in the morning right after her walk, and at night when I'm eating dinner too.  The daily walks in the morning have really helped keep her regular, too. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:53663db4-53ac-485c-92e5-23867b563145">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have special toys/treats that they only get in the crate. This will make it more fun and convince them that the crate is an awesome place. We always say to introduce them to 100 new things in 100 days after they are vaccinated. People of all types (skin tone, hats, beards, hair styles, etc.), cars, bikes, kids, etc.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Awesome KW. I did notice even as an older dog, Cleo did not like people in ballcaps. She got used to me wearing them, but was still leary with others.
    Steph-Part of the reason we wanted to get a dog in the Spring so we can get it outside while she's in that  crucial time period
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:53663db4-53ac-485c-92e5-23867b563145">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have special toys/treats that they only get in the crate. This will make it more fun and convince them that the crate is an awesome place. <strong>We always say to introduce them to 100 new things in 100 days after they are vaccinated.</strong> People of all types (skin tone, hats, beards, hair styles, etc.), cars, bikes, kids, etc.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

<div>This reminds me, it should be obvious but don't take the puppy put in public (other than to the vet/out to potty) before vaccinations are finished.  One of my friends had a boxer puppy and she ignored the vet's warning about this. Puppy ended up with a very serious case of kennel cough that could have been avoided. </div>
  • Options

I'm not sure what type of dog you're looking to get, but have you considered getting a young dog instead of a puppy (the assumtion being that an older dog would hopefully be potty trained)? 

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ok-ladies-with-puppiesdogs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3e0a8e2b-ce0e-4fde-8cfe-297b5a9c7e0dPost:6f65a093-6f66-4bde-bd49-c734ad4323ee">Re: Ok, ladies with puppies/dogs....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure what type of dog you're looking to get, but have you considered getting a young dog instead of a puppy (the assumtion being that an older dog would hopefully be potty trained)? 
    Posted by tidetravel[/QUOTE]

We are getting another Doberman Tide. We prefer a puppy so we know the background. Cleo was a dobie, so we are comfortable with the breed. We're not really worried about the potty training aspect. More the crate training, neither of us have done this, and we will have our pet sitter helping out as well.
  • Options
    I agree with Steph.

Our number one thing was to socialize Geno and I'm so glad we did. He loves all dogs and people and I never worry about him being mean or aggressive. We took him to a doggie cay care once or twice a week and they helped him learn to listen, sit, and play. We also took him to the dog park a lot and he loved it. 

If you're thinking about adopting from a shelter or rescue, see if the dog had been fostered. Both Ike and Geno were and we were able to get a lot of information on both dogs before we even brought them home.

I'm excited for you!!!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When we first got Jack he hated his kennel so we wrapped an old clock (one that actually makes that tick tock noise) in an old blanket and put it in his kennel with him. We had read that it is supposed to remind them of their mom's heartbeat. It did seem to calm him down.

I second the socializing. We didn't really socialize Jack at all because he was so tiny (chihuahua) when we got him that we weren't sure where to take him and we regret it. He has some behaviour and fear based aggression issues now. 

I also agree with consistency. Jack knows our schedule and routine and he does a lot better if we stick to it. I notice a difference in him if things are off for a few days. 
  • Options
    lauralaurlauralaur member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I ended up teaching Ellie "crate" the same way I taught her "sit." I lured her into the crate with a treat, when she went in I said "crate" and once the door was closed she got treats. We don't use her crate anymore, but if we said "crate" she went right in. We also restricted her to one room when we first got her. She was only 10 weeks old and massively destructive while she was teething (chewed up the wall and tore up the carpet). This restricted the damage we knew we would have to one room. She started out in the sunroom, which is where the back door is. Once she "mastered" the sunroom, we expanded her area to the kitchen and then so on throughout the house. I would say by 7 or 8 months she had the whole house. That also helped to keep her out of the bathrooms because she's never been allowed in there and she's only allowed into certain parts of the house if we say its OK. Although one thing that sort of came of the restriction is that the sunroom is essentially Ellie's room. She's got a mat and a couch in there (the couch was supposed to be for us but there's so much puppy fur on it we never sit on it) and quite frankly that's where she likes to sit and hang out.

Also, if the puppy pees in the house, just clean it up. Scolding the dog does nothing as they can't associate the scolding with what caused it. That's why you frequently see dogs that pee behind the couch etc. They don't understand that going in the house is what causes the scolding, just that the mess causes the scolding and so they try to hide the mess. Ask PetSmart or another store for a good product to clean up any messes, dogs tend to go in the same places because they can smell it so stains aside, you don't want to leave any odors behind.

ETA: Also, while Ellie was teething she had a beach towel or two that were just hers to chew to shreds. The only thing we had to be careful of was that she actually ripped a couple of bite-sized pieces off.
  • Options
    Thanks Laura! Great advice!
  • Options
    Patience! lol

There's great advice in here. No need to reiterate any of it.

One thing we do is a morning routine - H gets up, walks the dog immediately, feeds the dog, showers while the dog eats, and then walks the dog again once he's dressed. If someone can do that, it's really good because the dog has a set schedule that way that works around your schedule as well.

Scolding really doesn't do anything with the peeing. There's a lot of vigilance involved, so just check for the signs that your dog is ready to go, like sniffing for a spot, etc.

Snuggling is most excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards