Catholic Weddings

Cycle issue with doc - frustrated (vent)

After using NFP for the past 8 months, I'm finally "normal" and went to my Naturopath for a check up. (I was seeing him for other reasons and this was my 3 month check)
I've been having really bad night sweats right before/during my period so I thought I would ask him if there's anything we can do. Waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I had a shower and then laid down in the sheets is really uncomfortable.

I told him my cycles are from 30 - 35 days normally.
He told me those are too long and they should be 28 days. UGH! I'm not a doctor, but I'm a woman and I've read a lot of books on the female system and no, not every person has a 28 day cycle.

It frustrates me when people in the medical field make us feel like we're abnormal.

Anyways, according to him, the night sweats are because of my liver not working properly.

Re: Cycle issue with doc - frustrated (vent)

• lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ha. after saying 30-35 days is "too long," I wouldn't believe anything he says!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say 30-35 days makes you "too lucky" :-P mine's always under 28 days!
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Puh-lease.  The last cycle I charted, I didn't even ovulate until day 24.  I guess I'm really screwed up then, and I'll have no chance of ever getting pregnant... Oh wait.

Did he run a blood test to check to see if your liver was not functioning properly?  If he did not run a blood test, go to a different doctor.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    A naturopath familiar with NFP but who doesn't know that's a totally normal range for a cycle?! Yeah, it'd be good to find someone else.
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_cycle-issue-doc-frustrated-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:9019623d-16c2-4493-8df3-63a64d29cab7Post:253bd688-fc0f-4918-9a73-9a1d6661f783">Re: Cycle issue with doc - frustrated (vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Puh-lease.  The last cycle I charted, I didn't even ovulate until day 24. <strong> I guess I'm really screwed up then, and I'll have no chance of ever getting pregnant... Oh wait.</strong> Did he run a blood test to check to see if your liver was not functioning properly?  If he did not run a blood test, go to a different doctor.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

hahahahha that made me giggle.

Yeah I hate it when docs pretend to spout of facts they don't know.  I once read somewhere (I can't remember where) about a doc who said the nuva ring was 100% accurate against preventing pregnancy.  I almost choked on my lunch.
    I'm sorry you had such difficulties.  Are there any other good docs in the area you could go to?
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... that would be frustrating... you would think they would realize by now that we're not all 28 days. Mine are almost always 32 days, occasionally 31--would that make me abnormal? lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to try to be very nice about saying this, and I know many mainstream medical professionals brush off NFP, but please don't group us in with Naturopaths. He may not have given you a prescription for bloodwork because he is not licensed to do so. He would have no way of "working up" your perceived cycle issues or so-called liver disease. A "normal" cycle lasts 21-35 days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm skeptical of this person, but that might be my medical bias.

I personally wouldn't talk to this person about reproductive issues if he doesn't know what pretty much anyone who can google or wikipdeia knows about the length of a woman's cycle.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011

Ditto PPs!  No way in heck I've ever had a 28 day cycle in my life.  I almost had cardiac arrest (ok, not really) because my last one was 30 days and it has never been that short... EVER.    It's ranged everywhere from 33-75 days since I started charting last year.  The only regularity to my cycle is the post-peak phase... but that's my fault for not taking my metformin as regularly as I should :)

I can't say that I've ever experienced PMS night-sweats... but I would sometimes have significant issues with sleeping when my period starts!

• edited December 2011
    I'm all for naturopaths in some situations, but I'd really go with a doc FAMILIAR WITH NFP for a situation like this.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    PP are right - I'd probably switch. I have cycles ranging from 27-34 days, with 29-30 days being the most common and I do not have any health issues. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on information from someone that is that misinformed about something so common.
  • edited December 2011
    He was great for when I was sick with a cold for about 3 months straight. He got me better without using medication like my GP was wanting me to continue taking. He isn't familiar with NFP. I didn't go to him for that reason.

Sadly there are NO nfp docs in my city. Seriously. None. And doctors here aren't accepting new patients. If there is one, you can't get into them anyways.

I have a GP, and she knows nothing about NFP, but I don't talk to her about my reproductive health for that reason. I figure when I try to get pregnant down the road I'll talk to her then.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011

Ok... browsed some internet forums and found this...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gynecology---Womens-Health/Night-sweats-during-menstrual-cycle/show/511655

It seems like they may be both hormonally and nutritionally related... so maybe check with an endocrinologist who can check hormone levels for you and such!  My endo helped diagnose both thyroid issues and PCOS for me... do you think one of those might be more accessible to you than an elusive NFP doctor?

• edited December 2011
    I would need to get a referral from my GP.
    I've taken too much time off work to get to the doc about my wrist in the past 2 months so it will be a while before I can get in.
    I'm going to try a diet adjustment and the supplement my Naturopath gave me. See if that helps.
    With my cycles being 33+ days I want to wait and see if the supplement helps first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards