New Jersey

Hotels?

How much is too much? We just booked our wedding at a beautiful venue. They reccomended a hotel that they always work with and the best they can do with block pricing is $159. Now our wedding is a ways away for a lot of people and of course we do not want ANY drinking and driving and we do want everyone to have a great time. I personally feel that $159 is a lot, considering they most people will be spending a lot on gas and airfare to get here, oh and a gift. Any advice on other weddings about the going rate?

Re: Hotels?

• I booked my venue without even thinking about nearby hotels and what they would cost.  And then I found out the cost and cried, lol.  The two hotels by my venue are $195 and $279.  I have accepted that this is the cost and if people cannot afford that, I understand.  That being said, I don't think $159 is too much.
  • I think $159 is perfectly reasonable.  I've spent more for people's weddings, and many involved 2-night stays because either me or DH was in the bridal party.
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_hotels-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a502c679-1168-4a2b-9147-3f809b995639Post:36b3ddf6-e2b3-49c9-ae31-14f64532d88a">Hotels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How much is too much? We just booked our wedding at a beautiful venue. They reccomended a hotel that they always work with and the best they can do with block pricing is $159. Now our wedding is a ways away for a lot of people and of course we do not want ANY drinking and driving and we do want everyone to have a great time. I personally feel that $159 is a lot, considering they most people will be spending a lot on gas and airfare to get here, oh and a gift. Any advice on other weddings about the going rate?
    Posted by jenmcbride13[/QUOTE]

<div>I think ours was around $130. Friends stayed there because we had an after party, but most traveling family stayed at less expensive hotels located on the highway. If it's too high, people will just stay elsewhere.</div>
  • I think $159 is fine. It's actually less than what I've spent on a room at the last few weddings I went to. You said it's the hotel your venue recommended, could you look around and see if there are other hotels nearby that are cheaper and/or offer perks?

The hotel we're using is $95 and if 20+ rooms are booked, we get a complimentary shuttle and a free room or $100 off the suite. 

• $159 per night is still cheaper than the legal fees, fines & $3,000 surcharge for a DWI in this state not to mention how the [bleep] do you get to work if you can't drive. 
  • My hotel block is for $105/night. However, when I was initially going to book another venue and I checked hotels in that area they were $140-160/night. I figured worse case scenario is people could room together (ex: FI's aunts and family).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Eh, honestly? $159 a night seems a bit high to me. Have you just googled hotels in the area? Venues often list one as working with them, but there may be multiple ones around that could still provide shuttles to wherever you are. I know for us, I think 6 were listed but we found 3 more on our own. Out of all of those I think the highest was around the $170 a night range. And we ended up with something that's $112 a night, including the shuttle and breakfast.

Where is your wedding?
  • You can negotiate!!

I had the same issue with my hotel - they wanted around  the same price (159) and I thought it was a bit much. So,  I looked into other hotels in the area and got their prices.  I used this to tell the hotel we wanted to use that they needed to be more in-line with the competition.  We wanted to stay there, however if they couldn't bring down the costs we would use someone else.  They dropped their prices by 20 bucks.  Wasn't as cheap as I wanted, but definately better than 159!
  • I just was working on this actually and decided I would book a block at the expensive nearby hotel, and also at a more affordable hotel a little futher out, that will also inlucde a shuttle to and from. Although  for me - the more expensive hotel is $180, and the lower end is $120 so I don't think the price you were given is too extreme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards