Moms and Maids

Mom won't attend wedding if her sis is there - help!

My mother and her sister got in a fight a few years ago and haven't spoken to each other since.  However, since I still keep in touch with my aunt and her daughter, I was invited to my cousin's wedding last year and my mother was not (she does not keep in touch with my cousin but has nothing against her personally).  My mother was also not invited to my other cousin's high school graduation party.  So my mom feels sad that she is missing her sister's kids' events and says that she would naturally expect me not to invite my aunt to my wedding this year.  I have told her that I still talk to and hang out with my cousin and aunt though, so I want to invite them. 

Now my mom says even though she respects my decision, she will not come to my wedding because she fears dirty looks and snide comments and does not want it to create a situation at my wedding.  I have total faith that my aunt will not do anything of the sort out of respect for me.  I know my mom would be uncomfortable with her sister there, but I really do not want to back down and tell my aunt she is no longer invited (even though she has already suggested that she won't come if that is what it takes to get my mom to come).  I just don't understand how my mom can't see that this is "my day" and if I want all of my relatives to be there, they should be there -- they don't have to talk to each other, just ignore each other for a few hours.  Am I wrong? 

Can anyone talk any sense into my mother?  I just know she will regret this forever if she doesn't come, but I will feel awful if I make my aunt not come.  Nothing I have said so far has changed her mind, she is very stubborn.  I've run out of ways to try to convince her to come.  :(

Re: Mom won't attend wedding if her sis is there - help!

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were in your situation, I'd arrange to have my Mother and Aunt over to my place at the same time for a casual lunch and get it all out in the open with both of them there so a "she said/she said" situation can never come up.

I'm a real grudge holder, and have no issue with holding one forever, but you're right - I absolutely agree that your Mother would regret skipping your wedding over this forever.  You also should not have to exclude an Aunt and cousin that you care about because of a feud that doesn't even involve you.

With any luck, both women will see the bigger picture and reconcile.  If nothing else, perhaps they will both see how much this is weighing on you and can set aside their issues for one day.

I hope it works out for all of you.  Good luck.
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    Just keep repeating that your wedding is not a forum for past drama.  You are not a part of their argument and they should not use your day as a way to "get back" at someone.  If they love YOU, they will allow you to have ALL of the people that YOU love there to celebrate your happiness.  Then tell them that they are all invited and you will not discuss it any more...they get to decide how much your happiness means to them.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    I would have to choose my mom over my aunt. But can't you talk to your mom and tell her to grow up and get over it. Sounds like my mom holding grudges and never forgiving. It has to be killing her inside like I know it is my mom. The day is about you and your husband, not them and their family drama. I know it is hard to choose, esp if they both can't put it behind them for one day.
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell mom that your wedding is not about her and sister's drama.  And if she misses your wedding, that her sis wins.  You might even be forced to have your aunt stand in a honorary MOB.
  • dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    suggest to your mom that you can seat your aunt and cousin faaaaar away from her.

that should convince your mom.  if not, your loyalty should be to your own mother.
  • LisaLPharmDLisaLPharmD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think she's calling your bluff.  I can't imagine a mother would miss her child's wedding over something like that. I would explain to her that it's important for both of them to be there, and you feel confident that your aunt will not start any trouble.  Seat them as far away from eachother as possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

230image 205image 22image 3image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards