Wisconsin

Makeup staying power - any suggestions?

I know there are a lot of vendor suggestions on here, but my concern has to do more with the staying power.  I had my trial and the makeup looked beautiful, but 3 hours later you could hardly tell it was there.  If this was the day of the wedding, it would be off before the start of the ceremony.  Any suggestions on how to make it stay longer.  Did anyone work with a vendor that their makeup lasted most, if not all of the day??

Thanks so much!!!

Re: Makeup staying power - any suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    Just wanted to let you know, I use Bare Escentuals Makeup.  Now they told me that it'd last most of the day but I've been using it for 6 months and though it does work well, I usually find myself re-applying my make-up between work/day and going out at night.  Now this may depend on how I apply it and my skin type.  This is a great make-up but I wouldn't necessarily use it for my wedding.  Just a heads up ;)
  • msteph82msteph82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our makeup artist used this stuff from Urban Decay that kept my make up on ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT.  Seriously - it was amazing.  I was sweating like crazy and yet my makeup stayed right on.  She said it's like $30 but lasts FOREVER.

~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    imageimageimage
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • edited December 2011
    Who was the make-up artist???
  • edited December 2011
    Can you find out more information about the Urban Decay make-up?  What was it specifically?

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    It is a facial primer that goes on the face before the foundation. There's also the eye primer which I recommend so that your eye shadow stays on as well. Lastly, make sure you use waterproof mascara in case you cry.
    I'm not a make up artist. I wished I knew about the first two products sooner than later (only been a year since I've heard of this). My make-up artist was from Clinique and she was awesome. I don't even remember if she used the primer on me. However, my make-up stayed on me all night.

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I've spent several years in the beauty industry, and am what you call a beauty junkie. Remember to genlty exfoliate, cleanse, and properly hydrate your skin before applying your make-up.

My top 4 tips and tricks for staying power:

• Eye-shadow base:  this creamy product should be applied from lash line to brow.  Choose a neutral flesh tone in matte or light shimmer.   This may alter the color of your eye-shadow.  I'm going to use touchbase by Clinique.  It is water resistant and costs about $15.  Nars makes a great one as well, but it is about $30.  Trish McEvoy for about $27.  

• Foundation Primer: an undercoat for your foundation to help it stay on longer.  Certain formulas minimize your pores to make you look flawless.  Some give the skin a pearl-essence look.  I would avoid ones with sunscreen for your big day. Sunscreen has reflective qualities that you don't want.  I'm going to use one by Laura Mercier, but Smashbox has amazing primers as well.

• Powder: set your foundation with a powder using a brush.  Press the powder onto the skin.  Just about any loose or compact powder will do the trick.  Bring the compact with you for touchup. 

• Mascara Primer: a white undercoat for your mascara.  It conditions your lashes and helps to build volume.  I love Cils Booster by Lancome - about $21.  Clinique lash primer and Dior Maximizer are a few others. 

• NicnJen01NicnJen01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do a few different things, definately the primer like the aforementioned suggestion, I use a primer daily by Benefit called "That Gal" and my eyeshadow primer is "Stay Don't Stray" also by Benefit.  

The Urban Decay stuff that was mentioned before is called "All Nghter" you put it on after your make up is applied and it should last the whole day tears and all.

Another solution would be air brushing.  You can get this done at Sephora, this will stay on all day.  My Aunt works there and has used it for proms and has offered to air brush mine for my wedding.  She said you spray, let it dry, and you can hug, cry, etc and you'll be good all day.
  • gerogejuliegerogejulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone - this really helps!  She did not use a primer, so I will call and suggest one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards