Wedding Etiquette Forum

Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you

Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you

• That flag episode was one of the funniest yet.  I died. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know, that's why I chose that picture. I <3 that show hardcore.
  • MP and Holly, maybe this can help you make up your minds:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:343ce5e7-e698-437a-9f05-c5806c99cfa1">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : Random, where do you get gluten free flour? How much is it? I saw like 2 lbs at Stop&Shop but it was $6.  I get a 10lb bag of regular flour for less.
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

I have a brand called Bob's Red Mill.  I tried the almond and the rice and something else.  I didn't particularly like any of them, but I had a bunch of open bags so I mixed them all together and it seems to be working a lot better, like regular wheat flour.  I got these in our grocery store, but I've seen them online at glutenfree.com and even our Walmart has them.

If you like peanut butter cookies:

2 C Peanut Butter
    2 eggs
    2 C sugar.  mix all together and do the fork thing, bake 350 until they look done.  YUM!
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • No, not the puppy pictures!!  YOU ARE EVIL!! 
  • I will win you over with puppy power.  Muahahaha.
  • Habs, do you have celiac or a wheat intolerance? I'm just being nosy.
  • Well, if it helps my case at all - I'm not the biggest TV watcher to begin with.  Don't have TiVo or DVR either so if I miss it, I miss it.  More obsessed with reading books on my Kindle.  So I guess that does kind of make me a nerd then.  Hah.  I'll admit that the few episodes of BBT I saw, were very funny. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:e4983771-68d9-4c9e-bf5c-59e68b0ebefa">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : I have a brand called Bob's Red Mill.  I tried the almond and the rice and something else.  I didn't particularly like any of them, but I had a bunch of open bags so I mixed them all together and it seems to be working a lot better, like regular wheat flour.  I got these in our grocery store, but I've seen them online at glutenfree.com and even our Walmart has them. If you like peanut butter cookies: 2 C Peanut Butter 2 eggs 2 C sugar.  mix all together and do the fork thing, bake 350 until they look done.  YUM!
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

<div>Sweet, thanks.  I was talking with friends who are avoid gluten and they said to check out Ocean State Job lot, I think the mentioned that brand.  But that could be a regional thing. </div>
  • It looks like this has already gone off topic, so I apologize for being late to the thread, since I know some of you have an issue with me doing that, but anyway...

I have one main gripe with the E board that I really wanted to explain. Everybody gives etiquette advice here on what a bride should/shouldn't do/say, etc, yet many times the way that you give a bride this advice is done in a rude/nasty way, or is at least interpreted that way. There is a polite way to say things, no matter how stupid or silly you think their question is. These girls are posting questions here because they honestly need advice on the topic (usually), so I see no reason why the advice has to be given in such a rude way, especially when the advice is usually about not being rude. (such as including snarky or sarcastic comments).

I know many of you will say that you can say whatever you want - it is the bride misinterpreting the "tone" of your posts, etc, but I really don't think that is the case most times. I've seen it happen SO many times, that is simply cannot only be due to that. A good majority of the time, the advice on this board is given in a rude manner, and that is why there are so many girls on the TK who are afraid to ask a question here. They interpret the tone of the advice as being "attacked".  Yes, many times the OP gets upset because their bad idea isn't validated, but that isn't always the case either.

I really wish that everybody here giving advice on etiquette, would really think about the way you are typing something and how it will come across to others. Many of you are regulars, so you "know" each other and are used to the way that you each say things. But the girls asking questions here are not used to that and as a result, many times your advice comes off as rude. This is coming from someone on the outside looking in at this. I hope this makes sense...
  • So, i gotta be honest, KWill.  I went back and looked to see what your first post was.

HA.  that was a shiitshow.  Glad  you have decided that the harsh truth is for the best and we aren't all evil biitches.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:fe4c5046-ba0c-4e42-b9b9-19c7308a54ba">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]MP and Holly, maybe this can help you make up your minds:
    Posted by kwilliams111012[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh for all the puppies and rainbows in the world, that picture is adorable!</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:0e8084e6-0eb2-43a7-9f29-57356c7d4fb7">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, i gotta be honest, KWill.  I went back and looked to see what your first post was. HA.  that was a shiitshow.  Glad  you have decided that the harsh truth is for the best and we aren't all evil biitches.
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

Lol, I knew someone would.  That's why I just went ahead and confessed I messed up before being called out on it.  Haha. 
  • Okay, Cindy.  Here's the deal.  90% of the time people receive polite, helpful advice.

About 5% happens when polite, helpful advice is given and the OP goes off the rails.  Then folks get pissy.

The remaining 5% happens when the OP is just so ridiculous from the beginning that it incites rage.

Read the tons and tons of threads with around 10 posts where the pattern is

Op Asks Rational Question

Poster politely gives advice

Another poster politely gives some more advice

then several more posters agree with the above advice

OP comes back and says thanks for the help!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:f46f1a07-20f4-4e8c-a9df-1f23b4c68a0c">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks like this has already gone off topic, so I apologize for being late to the thread, since I know some of you have an issue with me doing that, but anyway... I have one main gripe with the E board that I really wanted to explain. Everybody gives etiquette advice here on what a bride should/shouldn't do/say, etc, yet many times the way that you give a bride this advice is done in a rude/nasty way, or is at least interpreted that way. There is a polite way to say things, no matter how stupid or silly you think their question is. These girls are posting questions here because they honestly need advice on the topic (usually), so I see no reason why the advice has to be given in such a rude way, especially when the advice is usually about not being rude. (such as including snarky or sarcastic comments). I know many of you will say that you can say whatever you want - it is the bride misinterpreting the "tone" of your posts, etc, but I really don't think that is the case most times. I've seen it happen SO many times, that is simply cannot only be due to that. A good majority of the time, the advice on this board is given in a rude manner, and that is why there are so many girls on the TK who are afraid to ask a question here. They interpret the tone of the advice as being "attacked".  Yes, many times the OP gets upset because their bad idea isn't validated, but that isn't always the case either. I really wish that everybody here giving advice on etiquette, would really think about the way you are typing something and how it will come across to others. Many of you are regulars, so you "know" each other and are used to the way that you each say things. But the girls asking questions here are not used to that and as a result, many times your advice comes off as rude. This is coming from someone on the outside looking in at this. I hope this makes sense...
    Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]

This is soooooooo ironic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:f46f1a07-20f4-4e8c-a9df-1f23b4c68a0c">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks like this has already gone off topic, so I apologize for being late to the thread, since I know some of you have an issue with me doing that, but anyway... I have one main gripe with the E board that I really wanted to explain. Everybody gives etiquette advice here on what a bride should/shouldn't do/say, etc, yet many times the way that you give a bride this advice is done in a rude/nasty way, or is at least interpreted that way. There is a polite way to say things, no matter how stupid or silly you think their question is. These girls are posting questions here because they honestly need advice on the topic (usually), so I see no reason why the advice has to be given in such a rude way, especially when the advice is usually about not being rude. (such as including snarky or sarcastic comments). I know many of you will say that you can say whatever you want - it is the bride misinterpreting the "tone" of your posts, etc, but I really don't think that is the case most times. I've seen it happen SO many times, that is simply cannot only be due to that. A good majority of the time, the advice on this board is given in a rude manner, and that is why there are so many girls on the TK who are afraid to ask a question here. They interpret the tone of the advice as being "attacked".  Yes, many times the OP gets upset because their bad idea isn't validated, but that isn't always the case either. I really wish that everybody here giving advice on etiquette, would really think about the way you are typing something and how it will come across to others. Many of you are regulars, so you "know" each other and are used to the way that you each say things. But the girls asking questions here are not used to that and as a result, many times your advice comes off as rude. This is coming from someone on the outside looking in at this. I hope this makes sense...

What you're saying makes sense, and I thought the same thing when I posted for the first time and thought OMG these girls are freakin bitches!  But then, I looked back over what everyone had written and realized I was only taking offense because it was my idea that I thought was great and it hurt to be "turned down" so quickly.  But honestly, every bride to be needs that.  All your friends and family tell you it's a good idea and then after the wedding is over they share their real feelings and tell you how stupid something was.  Here, you get honest, real (albeit sometimes a bit rude) advice.  If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:f46f1a07-20f4-4e8c-a9df-1f23b4c68a0c">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks like this has already gone off topic, so I apologize for being late to the thread, since I know some of you have an issue with me doing that, but anyway... I have one main gripe with the E board that I really wanted to explain. Everybody gives etiquette advice here on what a bride should/shouldn't do/say, etc, yet many times the way that you give a bride this advice is done in a rude/nasty way, or is at least interpreted that way. There is a polite way to say things, no matter how stupid or silly you think their question is. These girls are posting questions here because they honestly need advice on the topic (usually), so I see no reason why the advice has to be given in such a rude way, especially when the advice is usually about not being rude. (such as including snarky or sarcastic comments). I know many of you will say that you can say whatever you want - it is the bride misinterpreting the "tone" of your posts, etc, but I really don't think that is the case most times. I've seen it happen SO many times, that is simply cannot only be due to that. A good majority of the time, the advice on this board is given in a rude manner, and that is why there are so many girls on the TK who are afraid to ask a question here. They interpret the tone of the advice as being "attacked".  Yes, many times the OP gets upset because their bad idea isn't validated, but that isn't always the case either. I really wish that everybody here giving advice on etiquette, would really think about the way you are typing something and how it will come across to others. Many of you are regulars, so you "know" each other and are used to the way that you each say things. <strong>But the girls asking questions here are not used to that and as a result, many times your advice comes off as rude. This is coming from someone on the outside looking in at this. I hope this makes sense...</strong>

And this is why lurking is recommended (along with reading the numerous stickies which are never read). When you see how things are ahead of time, your little feelings are less likely to be hurt when your "unique" idea is not validated.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Those puppies are adorable! <3 You should give Big Bang another try. My mom hated it at the beginning for the same reasons you don't enjoy it but she has come around and never misses is!

Cindy, you're not exactly good with your words with your wedding advice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:a660e5fc-6cf9-400a-a6eb-72bc1a3ffef4">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : Hahaha.  Confession?  They annoy me too, but I'm in one of <strong>those moods</strong> (over-tired and <strong>PMSing anyone</strong>?) and I needed the vent.  So I'm annoying myself because others are annoying me.  Awesome. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

Statements like this are so annoying. What a cop out. Not every woman loses her common sense or is cranky in the days leading up to her period. Sheesh.

• And honestly, the girls on this board aren't that mean anymore. It's fairly Micky Mouse Club lately. All of the "bitches" have moved on to TN/TB or don't post anymore. Truth.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:b88d65bc-8e90-4a39-90e0-22643497677c">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : Statements like this are so annoying. What a cop out. Not every woman loses her common sense or is cranky in the days leading up to her period. Sheesh.  
    Posted by expiredbride[/QUOTE]

She didn't say anyone else did, hooray for reading comprehension.
  • I'm with expired bride on this one, even though she's probably a troll. I think it's kind of a lame and over-used excuse.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:8302e587-a05c-4c63-a3a3-c77e0c932b12">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : This is soooooooo ironic
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

<div>Took the words right out of my mouth. :)</div>
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:06e749bc-be49-4a51-9e76-0dd3a9b5438f">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, Cindy.  Here's the deal.  90% of the time people receive polite, helpful advice. About 5% happens when polite, helpful advice is given and the OP goes off the rails.  Then folks get pissy. The remaining 5% happens when the OP is just so ridiculous from the beginning that it incites rage. Read the tons and tons of threads with around 10 posts where the pattern is Op Asks Rational Question Poster politely gives advice Another poster politely gives some more advice then several more posters agree with the above advice OP comes back and says thanks for the help!
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

I have to say I completely disagree with this. I just started going through the posts on the first page and I was going to post some links here, but then I had 10 so I erased them. There are a bunch of posts on the first page where the very first response is a rude comment, followed by other rude comments/advice following that. Those responses were not caused by the OP coming back to complain, since they were immediate rude responses. They were caused because the person/people responding either didn't like the question, thought it was dumb, felt like being rude, or whatever other reasons. This is exactly what I am talking about.

I know that the rude comments come when the bride gets upset about the idea not being validated. That is not what I'm referring to here - they are two different things.

Just because the regulars here enjoy being blunt and don't care how other people i interpret that, doesn't mean that the rest of the girls on TK should have to lurk here before posting a question. That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

And again, if people are going to be giving advice on etiquette, then the excuse that "we are blunt" should not be used.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:b88d65bc-8e90-4a39-90e0-22643497677c">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : Statements like this are so annoying. What a cop out. Not every woman loses her common sense or is cranky in the days leading up to her period. Sheesh.  
    Posted by expiredbride[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily a cop out.  I tend to be more easily irritated when I'm PMSing and it shows when I post.   It happens.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_listen-up-newbie-brides-this-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f60ca394-2eb6-44b5-9038-18979976f324Post:b68874d3-2efe-4ef4-a0e5-c71e4d39a062">Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Listen Up Newbie Brides - This one is for you : I have to say I completely disagree with this. I just started going through the posts on the first page and I was going to post some links here, but then I had 10 so I erased them. There are a bunch of posts on the first page where the very first response is a rude comment, followed by other rude comments/advice following that. Those responses were not caused by the OP coming back to complain, since they were immediate rude responses. They were caused because the person/people responding either didn't like the question, thought it was dumb, felt like being rude, or whatever other reasons. This is exactly what I am talking about. I know that the rude comments come when the bride gets upset about the idea not being validated. That is not what I'm referring to here - it is two different things. Just because the regulars here enjoy being blunt and don't care how other people i interpret that, <strong>doesn't mean that the rest of the girls on TK should have to lurk here before posting a question. That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.</strong> And again, if people are going to be giving advice on etiquette, then the excuse that "we are blunt" should not be used.

Just wondering if you JUMP directly into conversations with a HUGE group of people you've never met before without listening to what the vibe is among the group of people.  It's the same on the internet as it is in the real world. 
  • I just want to add- Valentine's Day is in 11 days.  So be on the lookout for more newbs in 12 days.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Cindy, explain to me how telling someone who can't afford "fancy" appetizers at a wedding how many butlers you had running around with your plethora of appetizers isn't rude. That was you, right?
  • This is the most immature post I have ever seen! Did you guys just make this post to talk about the girls you think are doing things wrong???
  • Okay, then Cindy, if you don't like it around here, don't play.

And keep your terrible, rude advice out of the threads as well.

You're a total hypocrite.  You're the one telling an OP who can't afford to do apps that if you hadn't been able to do 23 apps than you would have just eloped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards