Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Bypassing the three day wait

When getting a marriage license in Dallas you have to wait three days from the day you go apply for it before it is valid to use.

I can't do this!

Has anyone gone to the judge to see if they can bypass the wait period? When I called the man at the county clerks office (not so helpful)  he said I could walk over to the courthouse and talk to a judge and see if they will lift the waiting period, but it will be up to them -

has anyone gone through this? any advice?

Re: Bypassing the three day wait

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Uhm... well what is the reason that you would not be able to get it at least 3 days in advance?  

If it is a good reason, I would think you wouldn't have any trouble with the judge..
  • Options
    lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From the county clerk:

The marriage ceremony may not take place during a 72-hour period immediately following the issuance of the marriage license unless:  (a) an applicant is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and is on active duty, or (b) an applicant obtains a waiver from District Court, or (c) applicants possess a valid Twogether in Texas Certificate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know a few people who went, and the clerk said, And we've waived the three-day period for you, so you can get married any time in the next 30 days... But they didn't do this for me.  The people who they did this for didn't ask or anything, they just volunteered the waiver.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well. I read that online too, so I called. The guy said I can ask a judge and they will do it if they think it is a good enough reason.
    (my finace is out of the country for work unitl 3 days before the wedding)

It is good to hear that they hve the ability to waive it. I was worried.
    We couldn't get it before he left since he is gone longer than 30 days before the ceremony- what a headache :)

thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought I was going to have the same problem because my husband works in North Dakota, but luckily he came home in enough time to get it before the wedding.  I think if you just explain the situation to the judge they will waive it.  The good news is there are so many district judges so if you get a mean one just try another judge.  Let me know if you don't have any luck and I will ask the judge I work for if she has any connections.  She is a state judge, not a district judge, or else I would ask her to do it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards