Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Lighting?

So I think I want to hire a lighting designer for my wedding, but I know basically nothing about what to ask for when I talk to one.  I know I don't want pin spots or anything like that, but I'm not sure what I DO want.  Washes of color on the walls?

So if you hired someone to do lighting at your wedding, what did you get?  Or what will you do, if your wedding hasn't happened yet?  Help please :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
Vacation

Re: Lighting?

• edited December 2011
    I just had a GOBO done, which looked great, but burnt out :(

I know Andy from ADS Lighting does uplighting, etc. I can't remember the other company that does, maybe Vincent? These are the only two companies I know of that are doing lighting.

Who is your DJ? They often have the best resources on uplighting and the like.
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Andy from ADS... I'm getting a custom monogram on the door and dance floor and pin lighting on the centerpieces... so far he's been great... the only thing I can't understand is that he said all he needs is my name in his book for now - no contract etc. and it's a bit hard for me to grasp that concept. I wanted to pay a deposit or get a signed contract to be sure I have his services booked but he said he doesnt need it. It makes me a bit leary but he said I'm in his book... I contacted him through the 'contact' form on his website and he got back to me via email very promptly! HTH
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Andy Booth is my DJ.  My coordinator at my venue recommended Andy from ADS too, and I've worked with him before at events in Pittsburgh as well.

I dunno, I'm just not sure what to ask for or how to describe what I want without knowing the terminology/the options available!

Vacation
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say maybe get some pics of what you like and either email to the vendors or print out for meetings with the vendors - I have done this in just about every meeting I had with a vendor so far.

Also, maybe take a look at pictures from other weddings in your space/venue (on photographer blogs etc) and see what you like and don't like in the way of lighting as it relates to your venue. I know for myself, I collected TONS of images from all over the place and showed the various vendors. If they can get an idea of what you do like, or even the 'feel' you are going for, they can pretty much go from there...
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just an FIY, I contacted andy from ADS, we spoke on the phone, exchanged some emails and I never heard from him again, I called left messages and emails numerous times but he never answered my calls or replied to my emails.  I never signed a contract, or gave him money, either.  And my name was put on his calendar so he said to me during our first initial consultation over the phone.
    image Ivory
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CLW - Did you end up using him or just never heard from him again after he said you 'were on his calendar'? That is what I was worried about :(
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

G, I never heard from him again! After our first phone call, he immediately sent me an email with an attachment of lettering styles for our gobo, I sent him an email back within a day or two of what we wanted - never got a confirmation email, called to see if he received my email, left him numerous telephone messages and sent him another email again to follow up and NOTHING back from him!!  It was really odd.  So I just gave up! 

image Ivory
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CLW - hmmm. interesting... I have had a very similar experience so far! He sent me the info (pdf) via email and I emailed him back THAT day w/ what we wanted and he has yet to get back to me... now, this was about a month or so ago. I just emailed him today to touch base - I guess I'll explore my other options b/c it seems he may be an unreliable vendor! Thanks so much for the info!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I also had no contract with Andy. He did, however, come through for me, but was ridiculously hard to get a hold of during the week prior.

Perhaps create your own contract for him, G, and have him sign it.
  • edited December 2011
    ADS Lighting, Vincent Lighting and BSP (Benack Sound Productions) are the companies in Pittsburgh that do lighting.

I've worked with BSP on large events and they are fantastic. Not sure if they do weddings.  I've had quotes from both ADS and Vincent.
    Best bet is to get a quote from one or two and see who you feel more comfortable with.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • hartman.lisajhartman.lisaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am working with ADS, but it was something my Mom put together. I personally gave up on him after the total lack of communication on his part, but then again I am one of those people that if I contact you in a timely manner I expect you to do the same.  Crazy, I know. 

It took him 3 months to get a quote to my Mom and another month or so before he actually set everything in stone.  I'm still leary, I hope everything turns out ok for my wedding. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes, sounds like I might avoid ADS after all!  Thanks for the help, ladies.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    LF-- I also forgot that we have used Hollowood Music & Sound to rent lighting, as well as JV Chujko (they did a great job for a good price)!
    These were both just for uplighting and not for gobos or LEDs.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great, thank you!  I don't think I want a gobo or LEDs, so for just uplighting, that's perfect.

Vacation
  • SPSLSPSL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey all, just wanted to share this...

I *thought* everything was good to go with Andy from ADS Lighting, but he never showed!  My fault I guess for not having a actual contract.  We just talked via e-mails and over the phone.  Anyway, I guess he showed up the day of my wedding at my venue - the Circuit Center and told them he couldn't work with their set-up.  YET!  My contact at the Circuit Center said that he works with them all of the time.  HE IS SHADY - WATCH OUT LADIES!
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. I thought it was just me. We have been so upset with our lack of contact! I was just about to email again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sly1181sly1181 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IM GETTING MARRIED JULY 4TH AND GUESS WHAT I DO?! IM A FRFEELANCE LIGHTING TECHNICIAN.  WHILE I DONT HAVE MY OWN COMPANY I WORK WITH ALOT OF THE LIGHTING COMPANYS AROUND HERE.  I WORK WITH THREE RIVERS ENTERTAINMENT AND PRODUCTION, VINCENT LIGHTING, AND CLEARSTORY CREATIVE.  IVE NEVER HAD TO RENT LIGHTING BEFORE SO I CANT TELL YOU COST BUT IF YOU HAVE IDEAS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM, I CAN HELP!
    TIFFANY
  • yoc2295yoc2295 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this convo is old but I just needed to express my utter DISGUST with his services at my wedding!! This man showed up 3 hours late to my wedding, brought the wrong colored light gels, and was extremely rude to my family and even threatened to leave and make a scene in front of everyone! He also tried charging us $200 more than agreed upon! He doesn't work with "contracts" which is his way of being able to charge you whatever he wants or just plain not show up! It was an embarrassment that I had guests coming in when he was still setting up lighting! RUN! RUN! RUN!!!!!!! 
  • tiggy330tiggy330 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do NOT use Andy from ADS! He Totally messed up the lighting for my wedding and it was terribly upsetting. He messed up elements that I told him I was concerned about beforehand and that he assured me several times that would be fine. He promised to be there to make sure everything was alright, but he wasn't. Use him at your own risk- my experience with him was horrible, horrible, horrible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards