Catholic Weddings

Becoming Catholic

HI everyone! I am about to start the process of becoming Catholic. I start this coming Monday! I am a little bit nervous, and excited! I don't know what to expect. My FI is Catholic, so that is one of the reasons.  I have seen some discussions on here regarding this subject so was just interested in seeing what you all had to say about your personaly experiance in these classes. what to expect? how was it? I was baptized in a Methodist church but never was "raised" in church. I started going on my own to a non denomination church a few years ago and have just faded out.  My FI's family and most of my family are Catholic and I feel like this is the way to go. I personally believe that believing is enough, but it will be great being able to learn more than I currently know.

any advice? what to expect?
Thanks! Smile
xoxo, Jennifer

Re: Becoming Catholic

• edited December 2011
    Jen, congratualtions and good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your decision to become Catholic.

I went through RCIA just over a year ago. (I was baptised Catholic but never got the rest of the sacraments). It was a wonderful experience for me, it truly changed my life. I would say you need to have an open heart and mind, which I am sure you already do. I could go on and on about my experience, it was such a wonderful one. It is just a great feeling being able to take communion for the first time with your FI. I am so glad I went through with it and we were able to receive yet another sacrament by getting married in the Church.
  • mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Congratulations!  I was just confirmed at Easter Vigil.  I would say to keep an open mind, ask a lot of questions, and reflect, reflect, reflect!  I think that reflecting really helped me through this process and made it that much more valuable!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • dpierskidpierski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey!! congrats!!

I just went through my classes and became Catholic this past April. I thought the classes were very interesting at times. It is a long process (mine was once a week from Sept to April) , but I learned so much and understand the religion SO much better. After I went through RCIA and got baptized, I feel so much closer to God, my FI, and I have more faith in things. I grew up in the Chruch of Christ and I never really felt the way I do now. Do what these other ladies are telling you and keep that heart and mind open!! :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    thank you!! I am very excited to start my classes, but nervous at the same time.
    at these classes, is it alot of them just like teaching you, or is it more ineractive? I dont know if that question made sense. haha.
    The lady a spoke with said they have had 2 classes already but that I could join in an it'd be fine. and it goes from this monday until april, so about 9 months about! But im sure it will be worth it, I think its a great opportunity to learn more about our faith
    xoxo, Jennifer
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only other thing that I would say is, when it comes time for you to pick a sponsor (like a godparent) avoid choosing your FI. It may seem like the romantic thing to do to have him as your sponsor, but the more strong Catholics you build close relationships with, the better - and having a sponsor is a great way to do that. Also, you may have questions about the faith or some aspect of it or how it will affect your life that would be better answered by someone who is not so invested in your life.

I've sponsored three people through RCIA and the most recent was a good friend of mine who I'd set up with another really close friend of mine. (Now they are engaged) But the priest at our church has a rule against not having SO's as sponsors for the reasons I mentioned above and he's always said how glad he is that I was his sponsor and not her. There are just some things (like doubts that may creep up about living the Catholic lifestyle) that would only cause a fight and it's great to have someone else as a sounding board before you bring you concerns (calmly and rationally) to your SO. 

Good luck and welcome to the Church! We are blessed to have you!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Good points meltoine. When I went through RCIA, I choose my FI's Grandma. Partly bc we knew FI was going to get relocated for his job and wouldn't be able to attend classes with me.

If you have a hard time getting a sponsor, ask your RCIA director or deacon, there are usually people that are willing and want to sponsor someone every year. Like meltoine said, it is a great way to meet more people who live the faith everyday.

Congrats and good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats. I start my RCIA classes In Sept! Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations! I converted in college (I was baptised in a protestant church as an infant), and it was an amazing experience. My sponsor was a good friend and we have such an incredible bond now. I agree, though, to seek out a sponsor who is not your fi. Getting to know more people will help you tremendously in your faith formation.

I also served as an RCIA sponsor (that's actually how I met fi, who was also a sponsor that year) and it was just as worthwhile the second time as the first. I hope to be able to answer the call again someday.

I get so excited for everyone who is going through the process. It is such a joy to see the Holy Spirit at work in that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations!! I was confirmed Catholic through RCIA this past Easter.
    I wish you luck!
    Advice would be to just open your heart. Trust in your sponsor and the support you receive. 

• edited December 2011
    thank you everyone! I am really excited to start this process
    xoxo, Jennifer
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards