July 2012 Weddings

When to register?

With 7 months out, and invitations going out April probably, when is the latest I should register?

There are no bridal showers happening.

I wasn't going to do any registry - I feel guilty enough for the money poeple have to drop to get here, but it's suggested that I do at least a small register for those that cannot abide to a no gift rule.  Wouldn't they give a monetary donation?  Or do you think some just have to bring a physical gift?  Even if you have to fly? 

It seems awfully presumptuous to register.  I mean people preach on here up and down that you cannot assume anyone is getting you anything (and therefore no word of it should be mentioned, of course), but then they make these lists of stuff they want!  Seems oxymoronic to me.  You're assuming someone wants to get you something with the act of registering!  No???

Also, at the reception, putting out a gift table is kind of presumptuous as well, isn't it?  My venue coordinator is asking me if I want one or not. 

Re: When to register?

• edited December 2011
    I would have a small gift table where you'll have your card box and maybe an e-pic or 2 of you and FI and some candles.  You do not have to register, however, if there are a some things you would like, then register for them.  If you do not receive any of them, then most stores give you a discount on items that weren't purchased on your registry so you can purchase them on a discounted price.  Also, DO NOT put the registry info with the invites...However, if you have a wedding website, DO put the info on there.  People will here by word of mouth.  A lot of people do not register because they everything they want/need.

Edit: also, you can register at any time.  FI & I have completed our JCP & Target registries...and we're going with BBB because we haven't found any bedding we liked and there are a few things we want at BBB that no one else has.  We have the most items at Target and then the other two are smaller.
  • I would say register if you want for some upgrade items and such.  FI and I didn't think we'd need a lot but after just registering for upgrades we had more than enough!  I also liked the discounts we get after the wedding at Macy's.  We are making a card box and will probably have a small table that it's on for additional gifts (if any).  I would suggest doing something just so if someone comes with a card or gift then there is somewhere to put it and you aren't scrambling!

Anniversary
  • Huh, I would think if it's poor etiquette to put registry info on an invite, it's also poor etiquette to put it on a wedding website.  It still assumes that you're getting gifts.  It's probably best to wait if they ask directly or let it go word of mouth.

Hmm, FMIL said her sister is going to want to get us something, but she's not even invited to the wedding!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:fe1b34a1-a594-4a7c-98af-aaad9cc193e9Post:59b6be06-4773-42a1-94b9-787b4c572074">Re: When to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Huh, I would think if it's poor etiquette to put registry info on an invite,<strong> it's also poor etiquette to put it on a wedding website.</strong>  It still assumes that you're getting gifts.  It's probably best to wait if they ask directly or let it go word of mouth. Hmm, <strong>FMIL said her sister is going to want to get us something, but she's not even invited to the wedding!</strong>
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]

No, the girls on the R&G board suggest you put it there.  Definitely do not put it on invites...that makes a person look more gift grabby!  But to each their own...

Also, you may receive gifts from people who aren't invited to the wedding.  Some people find out you're getting married and want to send gifts.
  • I agree. People may want to send you a wedding gift and it is so much easier when they have a list to chose from .
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards