Christian Weddings

Celebrating Christmas - Poll

Hey ladies!

1. What sort of things are you doing this year to celebrate Christ's birth?  

2. Are you changing or adding activities to celebrate with your FI?

3. What's your favorite holiday snack?

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Celebrating Christmas - Poll

• edited December 2011
    Questions 1 and 2:

On Christmas Eve I am going to my church's Christmas Eve Candlelight service, then going to FI's house for his family's party.

On Christmas day, FI is coming over to my house early in the morning to open presents and have lunch with us.  Then FI and I are continuing a 3-year tradition:  going to the theater on Christmas day to watch a movie!  It sounds strange, but we absolutely love it and plan to do it forever.

But overall, I am trying to stay close to home the whole time, because I'm on call at work.  I work in the Information Systems department of a hospital, so if the computers act up, I have to interrupt my Christmas celebrations and hop on the computer and/or phone to fix it.

Question 3:

Snickerdoodles :D
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Christmas Eve service with my family.  Dad reads the Christmas Story from Luke every year after all the kids get in their PJs (aunts & uncles live an hour away, so the kids bring pjs to our house and get baths before they leave in case they fall asleep on the way home).
    **in my sig pic, my little brother is next to dad holding the phone because 2 of our cousins spend Cmas with their mom, so we call and put them on speaker so they can "join" us.

Not sure what next year will bring. Depends on what happens in Kansas...in 2 weeks...ohmygoodness...anywho- We're planning on spending Cmas Eve & Day with my family, and then going to MD for a few days to do Cmas with his family, and then switch the next year.

Just about anything with chocolate.
  • edited December 2011
    GREAT answers!!!  Glad I didn't have to start it off.  I'll add to it.

Christmas Pageant at church, Keith and Kristyn Getty presentation at Church, Mike Speck presentation at church (singing with choir)

We are going to his family's home (Clemson SC) to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and returning day-after Christmas to celebrate with my family... at least the heavy foods are 2 days apart!! 

I think it's called "puppy chow."  It's chex mix with chocolate and peanut butter inside and covered with powdered sugar.  YUM!! 
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, I don't do anything religious over the holidays, as my family is secular.  It makes it very hard when I go back and visit them.  They have family events scheduled during church.

Nothing new with the FI... he's coming with me to my hometown.

Favorite Christmas snack... real Italian panatone!  Or various types of Christmas cookies.
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_preparing-celebrate-christs-birth-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1a08a86e-2307-405f-b278-fdc14e180df0Post:a8f9e8fc-4aab-4024-af19-b3a18350cfbe">Re: Celebrating Christmas - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Keith and Kristyn Getty presentation at Church
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

ummmm...jealous.  They've been in Chapel a few times at school.  Love them!
    Also, puppy chow is so good and incredibly addictive...I've had to tell my brothers to hide the tub from me a few times. :)
  • edited December 2011
    1. Going to church with my fiance Christmas Eve, then over to my parents' for a get together. I am sleeping at my parents', like I do every year on Christmas Eve (this will be the last year for it since we will be married and starting our own traditions next year). Christmas Day I am attempting to take the dog with me to all the relatives', fi's relatives', etc. We'll see how it goes, haha. 

2. Nope! Just seeing my family in the day and his at night. 

3. Everything! I love all the cookies! My grandma always made buckeyes (peanut butter balls with a chocolate coating, mmm) and since she has passed away, my mom and I make them each year. They are very good! 
  • edited December 2011
    1. Every Christmas Eve my dad's side of the family has a big Christmas party (he has 7 sisters and 6 brothers, so its pretty big lol). Then we go to Christmas Eve Candlelight Servie at 7pm, and stop by FI grandparents afterwards. Christmas Day is breakfast at my house, lunch at FI family's and dinner back at my house, then dessert back at FI family's house. I know that sounds crazy, but we have been doing it for 6 years now :)

2. Nope! As I said, we have been doing the same thing for 6 years.

3. Sugar cookies! FI and I both LOVE them :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_preparing-celebrate-christs-birth-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1a08a86e-2307-405f-b278-fdc14e180df0Post:76553561-7fa7-41d3-a80d-da39bd488724">Re: Celebrating Christmas - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celebrating Christmas - Poll : ummmm...jealous.  They've been in Chapel a few times at school.  Love them! Also, puppy chow is so good and incredibly addictive...I've had to tell my brothers to hide the tub from me a few times. :)
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Aww, we were really fortunate.  Our church had them coming for their presentation of "An Irish Christmas" and it was really, REALLY fantastic.  Since the congregation already sings quite a few of their songs, it was pretty cool to have them sing some new ones as well as the ones we all knew (In Christ Alone).</div><div>
    </div><div>Here is a little Keith and Kristyn Getty for those who don't know them --</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beiHcJiAZt4" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beiHcJiAZt4</a></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    1. Reading Luke chapter 2 then presents and then dinner
    2. headed to FI's family this Christmas
    3.  sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies!!! I love Christmas cookies!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    11-12-11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicVisit The Knot! Visit Purple.weddings.com

Two Become One

November 12, 2011

288 invited
    163 accepted!
    9 can't make it
    116 haven't responded yet....
    RSVP Date October 12, 2011

• edited December 2011
    I've been off here for a while as I've only been able to read posts on the nookcolor FI got me for Christmas and whenever I got on my parents computer to post, I would catch up on so many past posts on my month board I would forget to hop over here!!! :)

We just got back from Christmas Eve service at church. My whole family went this year, including my two brothers who do not go to church (and my older who actually says he no longer believes in God) and my grandmother. FI and I have been going to church leading up to Christmas at our church in Florida (and we are spending our last single Christmas with our respective families since money is tight to travel between the two). I've been reading the Christmas story in all the gospels on my own as well as looking up the Messianic prophesies in the OT.

All we did for this year was celebrate Christmas with each other a few days early since we were going to be at separate places for the actual Christmas day. We'll be figuring out how to spend Christmas as a married couple and seeing both families for next year...not sure how that will go yet.

...do I have to pick just one? Christmas cookies! All of them! Although my favorite is peanut blossoms (peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss on top) Lol :) Although the cranberry bliss bar we have at Starbucks is pretty awesome as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards