Students

Graduating early?

I haven't posted much on this board, but I figured y'all would have the best insight on this.

I'm currently working to get my bachelor's degree in psychology, and I'm hoping to get my masters in marriage and family counseling.  I recently realized that if I keep my current course load, I'll graduate a year and a half early. If I take the bare minimum of courses, I will still graduate a semester early.  I don't feel overwhelmed with this courseload and I feel like if I did any less, I would probably feel like I  wasn't doing anything.  I don't feel like I'll really be missing much, because I'm not much of a partier anyway, and I live close enough to school that I will still be able to see the people I want to see.  But people tell me graduating early is a bad idea.

What do you think about graduating that early?
Anniversary

Re: Graduating early?

• I think it's a great idea. Think about how much money you would save! You could start your master's early and get a job faster. Sounds like a win-win to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yea - sounds good to me!!!  its not like you'll be missing out on much.
    Photobucket
  • I'm curious to know why people would say graduating early is a bad idea?  If you can finish quickly, ESPECIALLY if you are planning on continue on to get a master's, I think it's a great idea!  I'm taking a full courseload this summer so that I can graduate early as well.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I graduated early and did not regret it a bit! and saved money! go for it!
  • Some people say its a bad idea because of all the things they say i will miss.  From my experience, I don't see myself missing much.
    Anniversary
  • I actually finished undergrad in 3 years before going on to medical school, and I wish I had taken 4 years instead.  I loved undergrad and I felt like I was missing out on my senior year (especially since all of my friends and my FI were still there).  That's just my 2 cents though - you should do what's best for you!  Like everyone's already said, you can definitely save tons of money by finishing early.
  • I'm in the same boat.  I've decided to go for it.  I'm graduating a year and a half early.  I feel the same way, college to me isn't about the partying.  I love it, but I also plan on getting my master's and what I love is the classes.  I'll miss my friends, but I'm pretty certain I won't regret graduating early.. especially since I'm waiting to get married till I graduate.  I'm also kind of proud of it!  Congratulations to you because many people struggle to graduate in four years (let's be honest it's not easy any more) and you clearly have your academics under control.
  • I graduated high school a year early and I'm trying to fly through college ASAP, too. I was double-majoring but realized my second major was unnecessary, so now I'm getting my bachelor's in psychology and just realized because I'm taking summer classes I'll be done next spring! I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...just getting done sooner, moving on to the next degree, and getting that much closer to a the decent job I actually want!
  • I'm not  a partier either, and I'm starting my Masters this fall. (Getting my bachelor's a year early.) I think my grad school experience is going to be the same as my undergrad, honestly. I can tell  you I feel stressed out planning a wedding, just by itself. So I cut my courseload so I can maintain my grades, but I started taking summer classes to make up for the courses I cut during the regular school year. Obviously, I don't know what your courseload is, but if you're not taking summer classes right now, I highly suggest shuffling your regular semester courses around so you can do summer school.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards