New Jersey
Options

Song for First Dance - Too Short??

Hi Everyone,

Me and my fiance are not going to use "our song" for our first dance because we really don't think it's going to "fit" for the wedding. (Differences - Ginuwine)

We decided that we really love Matt Wertz - I will not take my love away. The words are phenomenol. The only catch is that it's pretty short even with the instrumentals. Only 2:27. We would not have the wedding party join us on the dance floor since we'd really like to have this dance for ourselves. Do you think it's too short? Below is the song. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hnyV8srdQU

Re: Song for First Dance - Too Short??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that it's better to have a shorter song and not have everyone join in. Our song is longer, so we will have everyone join in.....but at my friend's wedding a few months ago the band kept repeating the chorus an insane amount of times and we had to keep dancing to it (first the couple danced to it, then we (the bridal party) had to join in, then they asked all the guests to join in....). It became really uncomfortable to keep dancing with a guy I just met the night before while my FI was sitting there for this 10 minute song. I'd much rather watch the couple have a few minutes to themselves and then get the party started. If you like the song I think you should use it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can't listen to the song at work, sorry.

But as a guest, I like it MUCH better when the first dance song is short or is cut down a bit. I don't want to have to sit/stand there and stare at the couple for five minutes.

Our song was about six minutes long. We asked the DJ to cut out the instrumental part (about the first minute), then we danced alone for about a minute, then he asked all couples to join in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just listened to the song-it is really nice!

I think it is fine to have a shorter song and just dance by yourselves. 

Our song is long but we are cutting it down but we will be dancing by ourselves as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is fine to have a shorter song!  We are actually having the DJ shorten all the dances.  My parents were actually at a wedding this weekend and my mom said she didn't like how long first and parent dances were.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our song was about 2:00 and it was definitely long enough, trust me.  Shorter is better -- watching you sway back and forth gets boring for your guests, and although it is a nice moment to share, we found we were ready to get off the dance floor by the time the song ended!
  • Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd keep the shorter song and just not have anyone join in!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MY FI and I chose a fairly short song and will not be inviting anyone else up to dance with us. I think guests will appreciate this more so we don't take too much time away from all the fun and dancing for everyone else.
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely use the shorter song.... 3 minutes doesn't seem like that long until you are actually dancing.. and as PPs said, just don't have the bridal party join in.
    I personally don't like them joining in anyway, being a bridesmaid many times, I hated having to dance with a stranger for half a song. I'd much rather just ask everybody to join in, and they can dance with whoever they want.
  • Options
    Em72653Em72653 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have questioned this myself, personally because I have this thing with listening to a full song on a normal basis, and I knew I couldn't dance for 3+ minutes having everyone watch us and I didn't want our wedding party to join since they would have just meant only a few hours earlier, like a PP. So I am editing our song to keep it about 2:30 minutes, Father-daughter/Mother-son about the same length, maybe a bit shorter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think a shorter song and I'm not a fan of others joining in regardless of the length of the song. 

That said, if I'm remembering correctly, we're working with the same photographer.  I know he mentioned how he likes to create a few different looks for the first dance and a two minute song may not be enough to do everything.  Just an FYI.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards