Maryland-Baltimore

Walking down the aisle...alone?

I'm 6 months out from the wedding day, and I've made the decision to remove my father from anything wedding-related, be it giving me away or the traditional father-daughter dance (long story, short version: he promised me $$ to cover everything but the reception, which is my fiance and I's cost. He's been ducking my calls and giving me excuses for 4 months and yesterday, he says, "are your deposits refundable...what if you don't get married...you should plan for the worse and expect the best"). One of my grandfathers is temporarily wheel-chair bound, and the other was just diagnosed with stomach cancer. God willing, both will be able to attend the wedding, in which case, I would feel comfortable asking one or both of them to walk me down the aisle. If they aren't, would it be ridiculous to walk down the aisle alone?? Or maybe with my mom?

Re: Walking down the aisle...alone?

• hljaneshljanes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People do all sorts of things.  You could walk alone, with your mom... if you want a male figure but your grandfathers can't, do you have a brother or uncle or cousin you're very close to?

But, yeah, nothing wrong with walking down the aisle alone.
  • strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is nothing wrong with walking down the isle by yourself.  Do whatever you feel comfortable with.  A guy doesn't have to walk you down the isle either, if you want your mom to do it, then go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it would look ridiculous if you were to walk down the aisle by yourself.  But your dad is probably expecting to walk you down, so that is a conversation you'll need to have at some point with him, and be prepared for his reaction to that, as well as what it might do to your longterm relationship.
  • edited December 2011
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with walking down by yourself - that's a pretty personal decision. I would walk down the aisle with my mom, if that were the case for me. (I'm actually walking down the aisle with my older brother, since my father is deceased)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I lost my Dad a year and a half ago to cancer, so my Mom is walking me down the aisle.  Whatever you decided to do will be "right" because there is no wrong way to do this.  This is your special day and make it perfect for you.

I'm sorry you're going through this with your Dad...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tonyettetonyette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't fret! I've also made the difficult decision to walk down the aisle alone! I would ask my mom, but I'm not interested in the questions that would be raised by that since my dad will be in attendance. My fiance wants to dance with him mom, though, so I have decided--though I don't really want to--to keep the father-daughter dance. I'm going to have to figure out an appropriate song, though. The traditional ones that people would suggest, more than likely, won't be fitting!
  • edited December 2011
    My father and I are not on the best terms, so I too am walking down the aisle alone. I've never been much on the idea of being "given away" as property anyway. My fiance's mother has been out of the picture for years, so we are also not doing a mother-son/father-daughter dance. I'm sure at some point he will dance with my mom, and I his father, but we aren't going to draw attention to it.

Be strong, and be yourself. Do what makes you comfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally wish my dad were here (and healthy enuf) to give me away...he passed away 10 years ago, and was very ill.....in the end you do what you're comfortable with....but i'd talk to him first before making such a decision, ask why he's balking....to cut him off over what seems to be money or disapproval deserves some heart to heart first.  i would have loved my dad to walk me down the aisle, because we loved each other, not because he was 'giving me away', or was a 'piece of property'....as it stands i'll walk down alone (i'm in my 40's, so to have anyone else walk me down would be silly, since i go to my new husband and life freely as a mature woman)..i will however, have his picture pinned to my dress, so he WOULD be walking with me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards