Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Salt Ceremony

Have any of you done this in place of the traditional unity candle?  I love it's biblical roots.  We're both Christians, and want that to be apparent throughout our big day.  I'm not sure how to clue in my guests as to what we're doing though.  I was thinking a little blurb on it in the ceremony program.  I also am not sure how to have the pastor explain it either.  If you have or are going to do this and could help me out on the wording for this, I'd love you forever!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Salt Ceremony

• I'm sorry- I have never heard of this.

and for the record, unity candles are not "traditional", they have only been around for a few years since the wedding industry needed to add something in to make more money. 
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna go Google ::exits thread::

::comes back in::

I think this is just another made up wedding tradition.  Combining salt signifies your bond with God and your spouse?  Well, I think the wedding ceremony takes care of all that - and more.

The website below sells salt covenant kits for $59.95 and up.  No way, Jose.  IMO, it's not necessary to have any type of unity ceremony. 

http://www.marriagesaltcovenant.com/

• We didn't have any unity anything and the priest still signed our license. In fact, he was thrilled we didn't do a unity anything since they really have no tradition in the church.
    imageimageimage
  • We are also doing a salt ceremony, and there are biblical references to salt covenants (though not involving marriage).  We also like the meaning behind it.  The website PP posted has an FAQ on it.  We won't be using the products sold on that site, however.  We're going to find some bottles at World Market or something, and we are buying plain old salt from the grocery store.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_salt-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8af74af-0131-47f6-a8e3-78ee0b637f13Post:3d72e8dd-897b-4c31-ab7e-b14da028ca85">Re: Salt Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]and for the record, unity candles are not "traditional", they have only been around for a few years since the wedding industry needed to add something in to make more money. Actually, they've been around for more than 50 years, sorry hon.  They aren't RELIGIOUS in origin (though the Methodist church has been incorporating them for quite some time due to the denomination's tie to flame as a symbol of God), but they are a lot older than "a few years old", and though they were made more popular in the 80s by TV, they were around before that.  Sorry, that's just one of my random pet peeves when people dismiss them as meaningless drivel.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Well then I stand corrected.  I had just seen numerous threads saying they weren't traditional, just new, so I guess I thought the same. 
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Well, thanks for criticizing my post guys.  Sorry, seeing as how most brides use a unity candle, I think of them as a "traditional" part of the ceremony.  It's nice to be surrounded by such kind fellow brides...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_salt-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8af74af-0131-47f6-a8e3-78ee0b637f13Post:72ee62b9-6600-41bd-b107-f6cbf30256c3">Re: Salt Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the salt ceremony is a great idea. I make them for wedding gifts and peoples Cermonies. The best part is it's something you can see and actually use after the wedding is over.  Even if you don't like this particular one, "why you need salt in your marriage" is a great start to explaining why you are doing the salt covenant as part of your ceremony. . <a href="http://www.etsy.com/listing/42407282/the-salt-covenant-a-wedding-gift-eco" rel="nofollow">http://www.etsy.com/listing/42407282/the-salt-covenant-a-wedding-gift-eco</a>
    Posted by Yaga111[/QUOTE]

I love this "salt" idea, saw the website, it's great as well.  Thanks for the ideas!
    Things aren't always what they seem...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    ?There is no better exercise for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.?
  • Our pastor is the one who recommended the salt ceremony due to its biblical roots. We decided to use it for our unity ceremony and purchased 3 cylinders and rock salt from the grocery store. All of our guest thought it was unique and interesting way to incorporate a unity ceremony for an outdoor wedding
  • @Natany3917 please make sure you're looking at the dates on the posts. This one is almost 4 years old. You're certainly free to start a new thread if you'd like to discuss unity ideas. @knotporscha zombie thread
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards