Jewish Weddings
Options

Ketubah signing

Hi all

My fiance and i are both jewish, however we are getting married by a non jewish officiant. I like certain traditions and want to incorporate. We evidently aren't very religious, but am considering getting a ketubah. Has anyone been in this situation and had a non jewish officiant sign the ketubah instead of a rabbi?

thanks for your help.

Re: Ketubah signing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our cantor did not sign the ketubah.  It was just us and two witnesses (Conservative ketubah).  Our cantor required that our witnesses be two (ideally practising) Jews not related to us, and he suggested that they both be men, but did not require it, and we had one man and one woman.  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, a ketubah is signed only by two witnesses--not by the bride or groom, and not by the officiant.
  • Options
    texasmfstexasmfs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi WWSG,
    Although, in the past the Ketubah was signed by the bride, groom, two witnesses and the rabbi (because it is a legal religious document); the tradition is experiencing tremendous cross over appeal!  You can buy a Ketubah online, even if neither the bride or groom are Jewish.  I absolutely, think you and your fiance should find a ketubah that "speaks" to you!  There are several artists who will personalize the document so you can have signature lines for whomever you feel comfortable!  Also, there isn't usually anything in a Ketubah to which a non-Jewish officient wouldn't feel comfortable agreeing.  Mine, talks about standing by one other, laughing together and struggling through life's challenges together.  I read it at least once a week as a reminder of how special my marriage is to me!  There's more info on Ketubot on my website
    Good luck,
    Michele
    Editor, The Modern Jewish Wedding.com
  • Options
    wwsgwwsg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for such great information.....We found a perfect Ketubah, and are removing the officiant line...so it works out great....Good luck to all!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards