Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?

Hello all,

So my fiance and I chose our photographer before we decided on a DJ. It turns out that the company that is completing our photography and videography also contracts with other individuals/conpany's to provide DJ's, transportation, hair, make up etc. Since we could not find another DJ that was willing to offer the same services for the same or about the same fee, we decided to go with the DJ that does contract work with our photographer.

My concerns: When I asked the photographer to provide us with contact information for the DJ so that we may consult with him for our wedding on 2/12/2011 I was told by the photographer that I will not be meeting with the DJ until the day of the wedding. When I asked for an explanation for this, the photographer stated that he is the primary contact person and that I should provide him with my list of music and an outline for the wedding and he will forward the info. to his DJ. He also stated that he handles business in this way so that there is no confusion or "he said, she said" conflicts.

Is this normal and do other company's have policies like this? If not, then does anyone have any recommendations as to how we should handle this matter?

Some of my family members seem to think that I am over reacting because they say that the photographer would not refer me to someone that would not provide quality services since he will also be providing a service for us.

Thanks in advance for any insight:)

Re: Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?

• Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_not-meeting-dj-until-day-of-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:c7cd1b97-8008-40c3-8513-71b9acc94648Post:b83e2634-cf06-4d7c-b66e-842355de83a0">Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello all, So my fiance and I chose our photographer before we decided on a DJ. It turns out that the company that is completing our photography and videography also contracts with other individuals/conpany's to provide DJ's, transportation, hair, make up etc. Since we could not find another DJ that was willing to offer the same services for the same or about the same fee, we decided to go with the DJ that does contract work with our photographer. My concerns: When I asked the photographer to provide us with contact information for the DJ so that we may consult with him for our wedding on 2/12/2011 I was told by the photographer that I will not be meeting with the DJ until the day of the wedding. When I asked for an explanation for this, the photographer stated that he is the primary contact person and that I should provide him with my list of music and an outline for the wedding and he will forward the info. to his DJ. He also stated that he handles business in this way so that there is no confusion or "he said, she said" conflicts. Is this normal and do other company's have policies like this? If not, then does anyone have any recommendations as to how we should handle this matter? Some of my family members seem to think that I am over reacting because they say that the photographer would not refer me to someone that would not provide quality services since he will also be providing a service for us. Thanks in advance for any insight:)
    Posted by ajt04c[/QUOTE]

I would be concerned! To me, it was important to know who is going to be MC-ing and get a feel for their personality. We're meeting with ours twice before the wedding to go over the order of everything and special songs.

Do you have any references for the company?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be nervous about not meeting with the actual DJ until your wedding day. I agree with PP to try to get references since they won't let you meet with them.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    jandrews_85jandrews_85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem!  The biggest mistake of my life!  I cannot believe I ruined my reception by trying to save a few bucks on the DJ.

I'm out of St. Louis, MO.  Here is my story.

I am dissatisfied with the service SOSDJs provided. I tried my hardest to have a good time, but my reception was a disaster. My family members continue calling, explaining how beautiful I looked, but how the DJ was appalling.

-The wedding party arrived, and the DJ announced the Best Man and Maid of Honor as "Mr. and Mrs. Mueth."  Then he corrected himself. Now, here's Mr. and Mrs. Mueth. I specifically asked him to announce "Mr. and Mrs. Dan and Jennifer Mueth.

-Speaker issues. He said it was a wire issue. He claimed to have fixed it. It was out all night.

-Weddings tend to go in a specific order. He pretty much slopped things together. Not the order I requested.

-The DJ played the wrong song for the mother son dance as well. He began playing the wrong song, then as I began approaching the DJ table, realized it and quickly, and obviously changed the song. Very unprofessional.

-The music did NOT flow. Songs would end, then silence. He would play a song, quickly switch to a new song, and switch again, all before songs would end. Why not fade out and make it less noticeable?

-I specifically requested in my submission through the wizard, NO Bouquet Toss!  I wanted to surprise my mom and play Somebody's Hero. He played "put a ring on it" and asked the single ladies to get on the dance floor. I asked where my song was, since we had just discussed this. He said "You didn't put it in the Wizard."  It was the 1st song on the wizard list in his hand. I finally agreed to do the bouquet toss, then he found my song. He quickly played my song. In the middle of me tossing my bouquet!  So I had to stop, ask the ladies to sit down, find my mom, and explain things to her. He made this special moment an utter failure.

-I used SOSDJs based on the fact that "And to make sure that the excitement of your special day lasts even after you've danced away the night, you are also provided with a complimentary CD copy of all of your music requests, as SOSDJs' gift to you. SOSDJs' entertainment and efficiency is unparalleled across the nation…  and SOSDJs will take your event from the ordinary to the extraordinary."  This IS NOT what I received. This was supposed to be "the most memorable day of my life."  It is, but not b/c of the DJ. Because I was forced to fake a smile and force back tears during MY reception. I did not receive the CD either.

-I hired SOSDJs, because "At SOSDJS we maintain high goals of excellence. We believe that providing state of the art sound, cutting-edge music and fun personalities is only half the job. Helping clients in advance with the details of their function, and having an office staff always on hand to serve is the other half."  The sound was awful. He did not stick to my music selection. What personality?  We couldn't hear him.

-They claim to "thank the guests for their requests and their participation."  My uncle came up to the DJ and told him NO ONE is dancing. He needed to choose from my list and spice it up. My uncle then asked to request a song and was told, "I CANNOT accept requests!"  Are you kidding me?  He told several guests no requests. That is the point of a DJ, to make requests.

-"Personalize the event" All he did was make it dreadful, for everyone in attendance.

-I was told the DJ would be wearing a Tuxedo. He was wearing dress pants and a tie. No tux.

-"All St Louis DJs sound systems are checked and certified "Ready to Play" one day prior to event."  It did not work. "In the unlikely event of equipment failure on site, our DJs sound systems have key replacement parts. These parts may include; speaker parts, fuses for amps, back up CD player, back-up mixer."

-The dinner music was so loud that we could not "mingle" with our guests.

-I understand from the website that I will receive a CD of music I submitted on the Wizard. When do I get my CDs?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Omg jandrews- that sounds dreadful!!!  So sorry you had that experience :(

I agree that saving on a DJ is not really the way to go.  No one's going to remember the centerpieces, most won't remember the favors, or if you were wearing a $5000 dress.  They're going to remember food and music... at least that's what I remember about most weddings I've been to!

I'm totally in love with our DJ- he met with us up front before any contracts were signed.  He also made it very very clear that we were allowed unlimited meetings right up until the event.  Just that night he was meeting last minute with a bride that was getting married in a few days.  He seems like he'll be very accomodating.

I think it's incredibly odd that you aren't allowed to meet with your DJ.  If it were me I'd try to save somewhere else to be able to spend a little more on a good DJ.  And just because your photographer recommended this person doesn't mean they're good.  It's not a photographers job to recommend- thats the job of a wedding planner.  You're paying him for his services, not vendor recommendation. 
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would not hire anyone, DJ or otherwise, for my wedding without meeting them in person (or a very comprehensive phone call for people planning from OOT).  A DJ is super important, they are basically representing you the whole night.  Not to mention, there are so many cheesy, over-the-top DJ's that don't give a crap about you, they want the whole reception to be all about them.  Personalities meshing is important.

I also do not like contracted vendors.  You may or may not ever meet with your actual vendor and they can choose to change it up on you at the last minute.  These are companies that only care about getting a check, not that they perform well.

I would be very cautious hiring this DJ, I would absolutely demand meeting with them in person and if they are unwilling to do that, I would find someone else.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work as an assistant to a wedding DJ and this is not normal. We REQUIRE meeting with our clients a a minimum of 2-3 times before the wedding and we also make sure to email back and forth quite a bit. I would be concerned about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards