Wedding Party
Options

Injured MOH

Help! My matron of honor broke her heels three weeks ago and at her follow-up appointment on Friday they said no walking on it for three more weeks - my wedding is in two. She is devastated! I of course still want her in the wedding, but any suggestions on how to get her down the aisle in the least-humiliating way for her? I feel like a wheelchair is kind of drastic and people might treat her like a cripple. She has crutches - is that the lesser of the two evils? Should I have my girls walk in with the groomsmen, so she has someone to lean on? (but she'll still have to basically hop, cuz she can't put any weight on it)

Any ideas?

Also, I'm still gonna have her stand closest to me, but should one of my other girls fix my train? I don't want her to feel jipped on that duty, but I also don't want her to be miserable trying to maneuver around to get it straight!

Re: Injured MOH

• Options
    Did you ask her?  Seems to me she should be the one to decide how she gets down the aisle and what she's most comfortable doing.  That really isn't something that needs to be decided until the rehearsal, after all.  And she doesn't have to "walk" down at all. 

She can be seated up front when the processional begins, if she's not up for walking down.  If there's a side door, she can just come in the side when the GM do.

As for fixing the train.....really?  I think you're overthinking what an "honor" or "duty" that is.  Just have someone who's up there fix it. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Don't ask a girl with a broken heel to fix your train.  Take a step back here and look at the situation objectively.  Think about the bigger things now, not the little things.  One of your BM will surely volunteer to do it.  This is one of those "ask on the day of" things that BMs are happy to do, not a "worry about it two weeks before the wedding" kind of thing.  Chillax.

She should be allowed to sit during the ceremony.  I sprained my ankle in high school and couldn't stand on my crutches for very long--I don't know if you've ever used crutches, but your wrists and armpits get very sore from leaning on them and that is sometimes more painful than the foot injury.  So I think it's actually the greater of two evils.  A wheelchair isn't humiliating.  People will see a cast on her leg and put two and two together.

Ask HER what she'd feel most comfortable doing.  Let her take the lead.  Being kind in situations like this is the sort of thing that pays dividends way down the line, but micromanaging it and making it more about how she'll "look" during the wedding is the sort of thing that will make her upset with you after the wedding.  You'll be so distracted during the ceremony that you won't notice and you'll be glad that she's comfortable.  One of my BMs almost passed out during our ceremony and had to sit for the rest of it.  I wasn't concerned about the "look", I was just glad she was okay.  You will feel the same way, I'm sure, because you're not a bad person.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Ditto bablingbrooke. Ask her and let her decide what she wants and is capable of for the wedding.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs.

Ask her what the best situation for her will be.  Everyone recovers differently so the only person who can tell you how she will be is your MOH herself.
  • Options
    Well it is not my intention at all to TELL her how she's gonna do it. I just know she's really upset and worried about "ruining everything" and I thought if I could present her with  options of how other people had done it, it would reassure her that I could see it all working out and she had nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    I think you're doing your best to be very courteous.

Just say, "If you can even BE there than that's all I care about.  You tell me what would work best."

And then the two of you can work together to come up with a plan.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs - but stop using the word "jipped"  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Agree with pp's and stop using "cripple" too, please and thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards