New York-New York City

WARNING - do NOT go to Adrienne's Bridal!!!

If you are a NYC bride or know anyone who is, tell them to NEVER WORK WITH ADRIENNE'S BRIDAL on the lower east side.  They were listed on NYMag as a recommended salon and I found the perfect dress for my August 2011 wedding at a reasonable price there.  I paid my deposit in November 2010 and was given a tentative arrival date for the dress in May.

Then I look them up online... Oh man...
They have terrible, terrible reviews all over the internet of horror stories like the dress not arriving in time for the wedding, getting it a week before, getting the WRONG dress, and even fraud.  Better Business Bureau and Attorney General complaints and I think people are even seeking legal action.  I got a little freaked out, but since the deposit was in I figure I should wait it out and see what happens.

May rolls around and I send a cheerful email asking for an update. Response: They have a call and email out to the designer.  I should check back in June.

June rolls around. A cheerful follow up email has them say that my dress should arrive within two weeks.  The two weeks go by with nothing.  I call the dress designer and they say this isn't the first time they've heard of problems with this salon.  Unfortunately they can't confirm that my particular dress was ordered, but orders for dresses in my style have been placed at various points throughout the year... the very helpful customer service rep (this is Jim Hjelm Blush) says I should keep calling Adrienne's every day.

I start calling and leaving messages every few days and emailing every week.  Still all very cheerful and not accusatory.  Last week (July!) I finally get a response that the dress will be shipped on Friday.  I'm giving them until the end of the day today before I follow up.  At this point I have no confidence that the salon owner is telling the truth.

Thank god I have a plan B!  Whatever happens I am taking the dress to another salon to be altered.  If the worst case scenario happens and the dress doesn't arrive (I'm giving myself a cut off date of July 22nd for this) I have asked the other salon if I can buy the dress sample that they have in store.  Ugh, I don't even want to think about how much more that would cost!!!  My fiance went to law school and has lawyer friends, so hopefully if the worst happens I will be able to get my deposit back.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my vent, and keep your fingers crossed that I hear from Adrienne's soon!  And spread the word to never work with them!!!! I am going to post on the attire board as well.

Also a PLUG for The White Gown in Brooklyn.  They are the salon I will be using for alterations and the potential emergency sample purchase.  They are wonderful!  Very professional, very sweet and helpful, and they have great reviews online :-)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: WARNING - do NOT go to Adrienne's Bridal!!!

• edited December 2011
    I am very sorry you need to go through this.  Good luck hope everything works out.
  • edited December 2011
    I am sorry too!! The 'Blush' dress is soooooo beautiful! Fingers crossed.
  • edited December 2011
    You should maybe also post on the NJ board - some of the brides do their shopping in the city.
  • StarIzInkdStarIzInkd member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice but I wish you didn't have to go through this. How awful!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Good call mcjay.  I will!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Vonetra224Vonetra224 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry to hear that! This is the same bridal shop that was on Fox 5 news I believe a year ago (Shame, Shame, Shame segment) Can't believe they still in business..

This is the link to Fox 5 news segment:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/counterfeit-designer-wedding-dress-20110421
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Don't marry the person you can live with, marry the person you can't live without."
  • edited December 2011
    I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience.  However, I was married two years ago and ordered my dress there and I had a wonderful experience.  In fact, they tailored my dress to fit my body and was 100% satisfied.  Maybe there has been a change of management in the past few years...
  • muimui37muimui37 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I would like to share my experience with you...

Stay away!!! You get better customer service at McDonalds than Adriennes's bridal (AB). I originally went there to try on a Jim Hjelm dress and brought along my cousin and two bestfriends. The owner, Mariann, was late to my first appointment by 15 mins. I shrugged it off, but this was an indication of what's to come... That same day my cousin Anne (also engaged) wanted to try on a wedding dress for fun (she had no intention of buying) but ended up falling in love with a dress. The dress was nothing special, in my opinion, it was extremely outdated. (Imagine a quinceanera dress in satan) Mariann offered her a deal, 1k alterations included. Frankly, we paid Mariann a thousand dollars to take an old dress off her hands!!!

We went back for three more dress fittings ...

Fitting number 1- Mariann was late, again! We arrived promptly at 11am for our appointment. We were not allowed into the store because the owner did not arrive. Even though the seamstress was in the basement, she was strictly told not to let anyone in, even if they have an appointment. Luck for us the weather was not that bad in March. Can you image if it was January?!?! We patiently waited outside the store front until Mariann arrived.

Fitting number 2- There was a miscommunication breakdown between us and Mariann. I wanted my mother to see my dress and my cousin's at the same time. My cousin's availability clashed with my mom's so we stuck to the regular 11am appointment schedule. Somehow, Mariann thought we would both show up at 6pm that day. Under the assumption that our appointment was at 11am, we arrived AB and she was no where in sight. Her assistant, I can't recall her name (but should be either a family member or employee of hers) blamed us for showing up at the wrong time. Did not apologize or take any responsibility for what happened. Kept telling us that Mariann was on her way... we waited over an hours and a half until her 12pm appointment arrived. Another man, also came in to pick up a dress that morning and walked out empty handed because Mariann was working on it the night before and was late on delivering the dress. Her 12pm appointment came in to try on a bride's maid dress and had to come back because Mariann's assistant didn't know how much the dress cost.

Fitting number 3- Mariann was barely on time here. Not much to complain about here. Everything seemed like it was running smoothly...

Fitting number 4- We learned our lesson... My cousin asked Mariann what time she was able to show up since 11am seems to be a problem for her. Mariann said at 12pm, my cousin would be able to walk out with her wedding dress in hand. I arrived a little early and bumped into the UPS delivery guy and did some small talk. He basically said, Mariann is the worst business owner ever! He has to ring the buzzer 10 million times just to get the seamstress to open the door to pick up Mariann's delivery. Her business hours start at 11am, but no one if ever there! One hour later, Mariann is nowhere in sight and her assistant (the same one that gave us a hard time at fitting #2) arrived on Mariann's behalf. My cousin had one final fitting to see if any work needed to be done to it before we paid the other 50%. Mariann's assistant said it's ready, I just have to press it. If you WANT to try it on, she'll press it afterwards. It's not that we WANT to try it on, we NEED/SHOULD try it on. We tried the dress on and found stains still on the dress. She said and I quote, "Maybe you guys did it?!?!" and then suggested that my cousin's 16 year old tattoo on her wrist might be the cause of the stain!!! WHAT?!?! We scanned the dress and found more stains, it was still damp from recently being cleaned and the beadings on the dress were hanging off by the thread. It seems like the just started working on it the night before. My cousin wanted me in the fitting room with her when she took the dress off, but Mariann's assistant ran into the fitting room with us and said she's responsible for the dress and that she needed to be around. WHAT?!?! You guys had two weeks to take care of this dress and now you want to take responsibility of this dress?

We are now approaching 1:15pm and Mariann just walked into the store. Approaches her assistant and says, "I am so tired, I worked all night on the dress (referring to another client's dress)." Says "hi" to us and breezes down to the basement and disappears for 45mins! We kept asking how much longer? "She's almost done cleaning, she is bagging the dress right now." We don't want you to bag the dress, we still need to inspect it! At 2:30, we see Mariann and the wedding dress, there are still stains and some of the beadwork is still hanging by the thread.

We are pissed now! I told her that I have another appointment later at 3, her response "You can do to the appointment, you don't need Anne (my cousin)." EXCUSE ME?!?! Did I just hear that correctly? Why would I - 1. not want to be here for my cousin's final fitting, since I'll be the one to put her in the dress during the wedding and I'm responsible for the trying the bustle?!?!? 2- Go to my venue appointment alone?!?! 3- Who gave you the right to tell me how I should be planning my own wedding?

At this point, it was so late that Mariann's next appointment already arrived with her entire family for her dress fitting.

My cousin demanded a refund. Mariann said, "NO!" We selected a sample dress and this is what we get. She insisted she gave us a good deal. This dress is so outdated, we did you a deal by taking this off your hands! Either way, we paid for something and we expect the dress to look brand new, clean and bead-work and threads attached to the dress. At this point her face is red and tears are starting to come out.

We argued and explain that a common courtesy call to inform us the night before to tell us that the dress might not be 100% ready. We would have been okay with that. We just did not appreciate her wasting our time and blaming us for something we did not do.

My cousin threaten to picket outside the store until she got her refund. At one point Mariann offered us to take the dress as is for $500 dollars. She turned it down and wanted the refund. Whenever we see this dress, we'll associate it to this terrible experience we have. Finally, Mariann agreed to the refund and insisted that we were making a big mistake as my cousin was signing the refund receipt.

In the store, I looked up the reviews on saw 2.5 stars out of 80 reviews. Almost 99.9% had something negative to say about their experience. This place was also on fox 5 news - the report suggested that they would sell you fake designer wedding dresses.

I called another bridal salon, Wedding Atelier, told them our story and booked us an appointment within the hour. We walked out of there in 2 hours with a potential wedding dress that was 100x better than the first one at AB. Our experience there was night and day. Keep in mind, we have exactly 1.5 weeks until my cousin's wedding, and they have 7 days to alter a sample size wedding dress down to a size 0! Our sales associate Jessica made everything better. She worked with her budget and was really honest with what would look good on my cousin. We did not feel pressure despite the pressing time frame. The store was clean and bright. Just go to WA!!! Trust me, you will not regret this.

Wish I read the reviews about this place before hand.

O yea, when I was across the streets at Adrienne's bridesmaid store- I left my purse in the front and forgot to take it with me to the fitting room area. I think that's where Mariann's sales lady dug into my wallet and stole $200 dollars from it. The store was closed off to the public, if people wanted to come in they would have to be buzzed in order to come in. I thought it was safe... should have known better. The only time I have ever let me guard down, I get robbed.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards