Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Food amounts for cocktail hour

We are trying to figure out how much food to order for the cocktail hour.

We are having about 200 people at the wedding.

We are having an unlimited amount of 4 passed hors d'dourves (portabello mushroom puff pastries, mini deep dish pizzas, pigs in a blanket and mini egg rolls) and a carving station that will serve 150. 

Then we are having a fruit, cheese, and vegetable displays and a mediterranean-type antipasto display (with hummus, olives, tomatoes, marinated veggies, etc.). 

We are having trouble deciding how many people to order the displays for.  I know we don't need to get it for everyone.  I don't want to be short, but I don't want to waste a ton of food but over-ordering.  Our venue suggested we order the displays for 100 people. 

Any advice? 

(Our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception all take place at the hotel.  The ceremony will be about 7-7:30, the cocktail hour from 7:30-8:30 and the reception from 8:30-1:30.) 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Food amounts for cocktail hour

• Options
    lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the 100. It seems that since everything is there, everyone will attend the cocktail hour. But you do not want the guests full before the wedding. I would trust what the venue tells you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, I thought for 75 would be plenty because you're having a lot of carb heavy apps
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with displays for 100.  My place recommended that we order appetizer displays to feed 75 for our 150 person wedding.  Most people attacked the passed appetizers and only nibbled at the cheese and antipasto.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would not want to chance not having enough. I would order for the amount of people you have, 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the what the venue calls for.  Not everyone will eat everything, and you do have a ton of food that should fill people right up.
  • Options
    idsilvaidsilva member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with what the venue suggested because they are very familiar with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards