September 2012 Weddings

When to order STDs/invites?

Hey ladies!

I was doing some xmas shopping this weekend and stopped in an invitation/paper store. The owner was awesome and gave some advice since the wedding is so far out.  She said that by this time next year we should have an order placed for everything, especialy the STD (which are going to be sent out early because we have a lot of people coming from out of town.) She said that the only problem would be that most venders have sales in the early new year-spring. She said that there are almost never sales during the fall/early winter when we would need to place an order. 

Any advice or hear anything else? I know for sure we will be talking with other stores and such but just wanted to see if anyone else heard the same thing.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When to order STDs/invites?

• Don't worry...

That's a salesperson's job-To CONVINCE you that you are missing out on the deal of the lifetime...On the other boards I visit they are always sending promo codes to one another-I know we will find deals when we need to start sending out our STD/invites.

Since you have OOT guests you should send your STD in Sept of 2011-Vistaprint.com is always having GREAT deals!!!

hth
  • First of all, your STD info needs to be SET in stone.  So only if you know the location, how many people, exact date, ect then go ahead and order them. 

Send STDs out 6-9 months prior to the wedding so Jan-March of 2012.  I'd wait.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies! I kind of was thinking that the sales women was trying to get it stuck in my head that I needed to put down $$$ sooner then I needed to. And besides...I do not have time right now to look at invites because of nursing school (I graduate in June!!!) and thats why we picked the date so far off.

We do have our church, hall and attached hotel booked. So for date and time we are good to go. We will be inviting between 250-300 people, so I for sure want all the correct information to go out!

We were thinking of sending out the STDs Jan 1, 2012. That way they do not get all caught up in holiday stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Take it from someone who's pushed her wedding off probably three or four times. Wait until you have everything as far as your date and location set in stone. Plus since you're planning so far ahead, you don't want to send them out to far in advance because people will forget.
    Countdown to being Mrs. Tirey
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding website
  • I agree with everyone else. If you really want to order go for it and make sure all your ducks are in a row, but I wouldn't send them out until at MOST a year before. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I agree with the previous posts...  I wouldn't worry about this for now - I'm sure you'll be able to find a great deal when you're ready.

We have a LOT of OOT guests, so plan to send our STDs out Sept 2011 - to give everyone plenty of time to figure out travel arrangements, if they decide to come.  (And, since it's mostly fiance's extended family - I'm hoping they all will!)
  • GrillGal1027GrillGal1027 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Congrats on almost being done with nursing school!!! I'm a nurse too, I just graduated in Dec. 2008, so i know how you feelLaughing What an accomplishment!

I'm from the south surburbs on Chicago...does anyone know a good place to get STD or invitations??

And what do you think of magnet STD...i like them but are they too overdone?

Thanks!!
  • SN:  Hey fellow Nursing students!! I'm in term 1 so just beginning my journey. Congrats to you ladies for succeeding.  I plan on being in your shoes one day.

About the STD:  Now is definitely too early.  I understand where you are coming from.  Since we opted to move our wedding to a vacation spot (Disney) I sent  out a newsletter to everyone so they would have a heads up on things since almost all the guests are traveling from the midwest to Florida.  Here's my first newsletter text.  Feel free to steal any info.  I found a great template on Microsoft and went with that. 

Our Wedding Newsletter

It’s a Destination Wedding! Join us at Walt Disney World for our Nuptials Written by the Bride and Groom – Lela & ClintWe’ve chosen the date & venue too There’s so much planning we’ve got to do  Please let us know now & we will save you a spaceWe can’t wait to see you on our Wedding Date!So come join us for some fun, in the warm Florida sun.Hello Family & Friends!

Clint and I are very excited about our wedding in 2012.  We really are looking forward to seeing you all there.  So to kick of the planning, we’ve already chosen a location and date.  The best part – we’ve moved the location to sunny Orlando, Florida and will host the wedding at  Disney World. Since the wedding is now a “Destination Wedding”, we wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan ahead for it. So here are some details to help you out:

What: Lela Chappell & Clint Myers Wedding Ceremony and Reception

When: Sunday, September 2, 2012 (Labor Day weekend)

Where: The Shades of Green Resort on Walt Disney World

About the location:  The Shades of Green Resort on Walt Disney World is a world class military resort. It is a family friendly resort set on Disney property in between 2 professional golf courses.  There are 586 rooms and suites at the resort and they are said to be the largest size rooms of any resort on Disney’s grounds.  The best part - - even though this is a military resort, many of you will be able to stay there as well.  There are rules of course but here’s how it works:

Resort Accommodations Eligibility: All active duty and retirees, as well as all honorably discharged armed forces members with a DD214 stating this status, are able to stay at the resort.  Each eligible sponsor guest is able to sponsor a total of 3 rooms (theirs plus 2 others).  AND spouses of eligible sponsors are able to reserve 3 rooms too! So that is a total of 6 rooms (minus 1 for the sponsoring couple) each couple can reserve.  Since there are a lot of military (both current and former) members on both sides of our families, we think this will be a great option for as many people who want to stay there.  

Other Resort Info –

Rates:  Current room rates based on military member’s rank are as follows -

Category 1 (E-1 thru E-5) Standard room, $95.00; Poolside room, $105.00; Family Jr Suite, $250.00; Family Suite, $275.00.

Category 2 (E-6 thru E-9, O-1 thru O-3, WO-1 thru CW-3) Standard room, $123.00; Poolside room, $133.00; Family Jr Suite, $250.00; Family Suite, $275.00.

Category 1 (O-4 thru O-10, CW-4 thru CW-5) Standard room, $131.00; Poolside room, $141.00; Family Jr Suite, $250.00; Family Suite, $275.00.

Prices above are for the current year only and may be slightly higher by the time of our wedding.  Once the date gets much closer we will advise you all of the newer rates for 2012.  Rates are the per day rate.

Max capacity per room type and other info: Above rates are based on two adults in a standard or poolside room OR four adults in the suites.  Add $15.00 per additional person, 18 and older.  Standard and Poolside rooms capacity is 5 persons; Junior Suites capacity is 6 persons; Family Suites is 8 persons.

Additional Hotel Accommodations  The Shades of Green will not be the only resort/hotel we plan to get hotel information on.  Additional hotel accommodation information will be provided at a later date.

Attraction Tickets The Shades of Green Resort has a ticket desk and as a military family, we are able to purchase tickets for Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World and other attractions at a discounted military rate.  More information will be provided at a later date.  We are asking everyone of their interest in possibly purchasing the tickets to give us an idea of who might want to buy tickets.   

Our Contact Information:
    80 said yes image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_order-stdsinvites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:83f839d8-19ed-42c4-85f5-6e05516286f6Post:da4db4b9-d556-4197-950e-ee7eb96c7da9">Re: When to order STDs/invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on almost being done with nursing school!!! I'm a nurse too, I just graduated in Dec. 2008, so i know how you feel  What an accomplishment! I'm from the south surburbs on Chicago...does anyone know a good place to get STD or invitations?? And what do you think of magnet STD...i like them but are they too overdone? Thanks!!
    Posted by GrillGal1027[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am super excited!

I am from the NW burbs and I have heard good things about a printing shop in Schaumburg by Woodfield. They are able to work with your budget....they do all the work or you can do some DIYing it to save money.

I like the magnet idea. I dont think it is too over done....I haven't seen a magnet sent out for the last few weddings we have had. We still have the magnets from other weddings on our fridge, I like looking back at them!

Good luck with everything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards