New York-New York City
Options

Need Central Park Wedding Advice

Hi!  My fiance and I already have the location for the reception but we wanted to get married in Central Park June 2011.  Does anyone have and advice or experience with how to do this?  Can we just walk around and pick a place and tell ppl to meet there or can you only do it in certain areas?  Do you need a permit?  Would you recommend a coordinator for this? We are trying to keep costs down as much as possible too.  Any additional information would be much appreciated as well ... I'm sure there's other things to take into consideration.  I just have no idea where to start and could really use some help.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

Briana

Re: Need Central Park Wedding Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011

There are designated areas and yes, you have to have a permit.  You can't apply for the permit until January 1 of the year you are getting married.  There's a whole section on the Central Park website about getting married in the park.  I think that's the best place for you to start.  CP has a designated wedding coordinator company, but when we were considering a CP wedding, we found them basically non-responsive.   

HTH!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Julez is right about the locations and the permits.

Also you should consider that you're not allowed to set up chairs at your site. You also only techinically have use of the site for half an hour.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i applied for a permit for our may 2010 wedding and was able to apply on oct 31 of last year.  not sure if that has since changed but double check; you may not have to wait until january.

certain locations only allow a certain number of people... for example our first choice in the park was bethesda terrace but they said that they don't give permits for that location for more than 20 or 30 guests so we had to pick a different place. 

and yes, as agk0125 said, no chairs... and no amplified music.  we're hiring a string duet for the ceremony music.

hope this helps!
    Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    springflrspringflr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Addendum: Central Park does *not* require permits if the gathering will have less than twenty people.  Folks elope or have very small weddings there all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards