Massachusetts-Cape Cod

My brain is melting...help with venues!

I got engaged about a month ago and we are now gearing up to find a venue.  My Fiance grew up on the South Shore and as such we'd love to look in the area/cape cod for a wedding in September 2012...but the sheer number of venues is making my head spin.  We are aiming for around 140 or so people, perhaps a little less, and are okay with spending 35,00-45,000 all in.  I'm dreaming of a classic, timeless, waterfront, casual, nautically sort of wedding, ideally in a venue that can have both the ceremony and the reception.  I don't necessarily need a beach, actually, I don't really see myself getting married ON a beach per se. 
In case you can't tell, I'm kind of particular.
So far my front runners are Chequessett yacht club, the Dennis Inn, and Pamet Harbor Yacht Club (which might be my fave, but i'm afraid it's too small).
We are heading up to MA over Memorial Day to visit family and try to see a few places, but I would love to have some insight so I'm not wasting my time!
Thanks much!
M

Re: My brain is melting...help with venues!

• Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know people always back away from Chatham Bars Inn due to it's pricey reputation, but check it out!  We were able to stray from their pre-arranged packages to tailor a day to our desires and budget.  They're so friendly and amenable!
    I looked at Highfield Hall, Wequasette (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), CBI, Nauticus Marina, and the Poppy.  All had great options - and Nauticus might be perfect for your size and staying off of the beach.  The guys there are really nice and easy to work with, too!
    Let us know what you pick!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    @Lobster I thought I had a winner w the Nauticus, but then I found they ended events at like 8pm or something--too early!  The CBI is gorg, and I just might drag my FI there to see what the options are...
    Thanks for your quick reply!
  • edited December 2011
    I think the Poppy or New Seabury Country Club might work well for you (same company, Poppy is on the water, New Seabury is the more traditional country club setting). Our wedding was close to your size and we did Ballymeade, which we LOVED, but its not on the water. You could do Ocean Edge in that price range as well, but for that size probably not the ballroom, but one of the other structures on the property. You can do ceremony on site at all of them. Those were our top three contenders and I think any of them would have been great. 

• Soccergal13Soccergal13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second looking at Poppy and at Ocean's Edge. Both are gorgeous and within your price range
  • shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Flying Bridge in falmouth sounds perfect for what you are looking for.  It is right on Falmouth harbor, lots of boats, nice docks for photos.  You can get married on site under a nice tent. Nobska Lighthouse & nice little beaches are all within 10 minutes if you wanted options for photo spots. 
  • yoyowynnyoyowynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Sea Crest in Falmouth. They are undergoing major renovations and it is one of the most scenic resorts on the Cape.
  • clage22clage22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you have checked out the SeaCrest in Falmouth. It is almost done being completely renovated. We will be getting married there this summer. It it right on Old Silver Beach, therefore you could do a beach wedding. But, they also have a nice courtyard with trees, flowers, and such where the ceremony could also be!
  • edited December 2011

Wequasett and Wychmere are both options you should check out.  Wequasett is a bit pricey, but gorgeous (we ended up having the brunch the day after our wedding there).  We got married at Wychmere and it was amazing, they also just underwent renovations over this past winter and I'm sure its even more beautiful.

• ND2011ND2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The new wychmere is BEAUTIFUL and fits right within your price range. There is a beach there, but you can get married on the lawn overlooking the water instead...you get the best of both worlds :)  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Chatham Bars Inn you will LOVE it!
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_brain-meltinghelp-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:e9a17b9e-98f9-4a18-86c7-fcca9edc536aPost:9b3f2a3c-5eb2-4089-8a6a-dbf6586bc868">Re: My brain is melting...help with venues!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chatham Bars Inn you will LOVE it!
    Posted by nantucketirish[/QUOTE]

Agreed. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Falmouth and I also suggest the Sea Crest - Falmouth is nice because as one of the bigger towns, it has LOTS of accommodation for guests as well as things to do around town, and it has the great Shining Sea Bike Path - a rail-trail 10 mile path that goes from North Falmouth to Woods Hole.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions!  I think we are going to check out Ocean Edge, Chatham Bars Inn, Wychmere, and, if we have time, the Sea Crest.  I will let  you know how it turns out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there Knotties...we had QUITE the busy day on Sunday looking at venues, but Ocean Edge really won the day.  The Bay Pines Pavilion is PERFECT for what I am envisioning. 
    Now we just have to cross the other locales off our list...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards