Arizona-Tucson
Options

Newlywed vendor review

Hello ladies!

I just got married on October 17th and would like to share with you the experience I had with my vendors.

I was a bride on a budget, and made this clear to every vendor I contacted. Most of the vendors I found and hired turned out to be fabulous.

Photographer: Lorraine A DarConte (A+) -
Lorraine was absolutely FABULOUS! She worked with me and my now husband to make sure that we got everything we wanted while staying well within our budget. She was very easy to communicate with, offered up many good ideas, and was always open to ours as well. And her pictures were GORGEOUS! There was not a single bad one in the bunch.

Reception Venue: The Riverpark Inn ( A+) -
I was becoming a little discouraged in my search for a reception location until I found The Riverpark Inn. Every place I looked at just did not quite work-- reception halls required too much extra work, and most hotels were much too expensive because you could only get the room if you used thier catering. And then I found the Inn. First of all, it doesn't require very much decorating as it is quite nice on it's own. The prices were very reasonable, they provide just about everything you need (tables, linens, ect), and you have the option of bringing in your own catering. And Kacie, the catering manager/event coordinator was extremely helpful. She met with us numerous times to go over details, set up the room, and we were in constant contact throughout the planning process. A few weeks before the wedding they upgraded us to the larger ballroom, and even allowed us to set up the day before. Kacie made herself available to set up the day before, and was there the day of to make sure that everything ran smoothly. We also booked a room for the wedding night, which was very nice as well. The rooms are larger than the average hotel room, and are very airy. I was very satisfied with everything, and if I ever need a party or meeting space in the future, this is where I'll go.

Bakery: The Village Bakehouse (A+) -
The Village Bakehouse was the only bakery we went to. We were sold at the initial consultation. Missy was so nice and professional, and the cakes were DELICIOUS!! They had several different flavors and fillings, and we ended up going with the pink champange for the top and bottom tiers, and white for the middle, with a buttercream filling and frosting. We brought in a picture of a cake we wanted, and they were able to create it for us in our wedding colors, and, in my opinion, it turned out even better than I expected. All our guests loved it, and it was one of my favorite parts of our wedding. The cake was something we splurged on, but it was completely worth it.

Dress & Tuxedo: A Tailor Tuxedo and Bridal (A-) -
I had a wonderful experience with A Tailor. The girls were very sweet and patient. I was a very undecisive bride, and they spent a few hours with me, helping me find the perfect dress. This was another thing I splurged on, but my dress was gorgeous. We also rented the grooms tuxedo here, and had a pleasant experience again. The only issue I have to complain about is the alterations. A few appointments had to be moved, added, or rescheduled because certain parts were not done when they planned. Everything worked out just fine, and my dress and his tux were just perfect.

Rentals: Quality Chair Covers (B-) -
I rented chair covers and sashed from Quality Chair Covers because the chairs from the Inn didn't match my color scheme. I was not very satisfied with them at all, and would suggest that you be willing to pay a bit more if you decide to go with this option. The chair covers were stained and wrinkly, and although they suggested putting them in the dryer for apprx. 15 minutes to remove wrinkles, this did not work at all. Luckily, we could play with the lights at the Inn, and you could not notice the flaws if the lights were down low. Also, the website is not very clear at all in regards to samples. You will have to pay a processing fee, which is mentioned, AND return shipping, which is not mentioned.

Florist: Bouts N Bouquets (C) -
I was excited about them at first. They were so friendly and worked alot with me to fit everything I wanted into my budget. Unfortunately communication was very difficult and promises were not kept, so the experience was quite dissapointing.

DJ: Tony G DJ (A)-
Tony G is a family friend so obviously he was the first choice for our DJ. He did a fantastic job, and worked with us to figure out the perfect songs for our wedding. He is very energetic and fun, and I couldn't have chosen a better DJ.

Remember when contacting vendors for the first time, always be very clear about your budget and what you expect to get for your money. This will save you alot of time and stress.

Here are a few ways that I saved money:
For my centerpieces I bought about 45 different types and sizes of wine, martini, margarita, ect. glasses from different dollar stores. I then bought pink glass paint   (3- 2oz bottles at about $2.99 each) and conditioner (1- 2oz bottle at about $3.99) from the craft store and painted each glass (this gave them a pink tint). I put about 5 glasses on each table around a small mirror (provided by venue) and sprinkled rose petals around (from florist, but would also look nice with fake petals) I bought the my color M&Ms (brown, 2- 5lb bags at approx. $47 each) to fill each glass. This incorporated both of my colors (pink and brown). Without the M&Ms the total cost per table comes to about $8.50-- with the M&Ms it comes to $19, but you could always substitute for something cheaper.

I chose to have the ceremony at my grandmother's house, which was free of cost, and I decorated with items from the craft store, all of which can be reused.

It's a good idea to ask people you know if they or someone they know have certain talents. My grandmother used to do videography as a side job, my sister is a hair stylist, and a friend is an ordained minister. Each offered to help at no charge, although I did tip them each. By having their help instead of hiring someone, I literally saved a few thousand dollars.

All in all, I managed to create a beautiful wedding while staying under the budget, which was $5000, and that even included the honeymoon.

If you have any questions or comments about any of this information, please feel free to email me at: alvadeen@yahoo.com

Thank you for listening (or reading)!!

Re: Newlywed vendor review

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I should also add that I designed my own invitations using Office Word. I printed them at Staples and the cost came out to about $50 for invites, website inserts, rsvp cards, ceremony cards, envelopes (bought at craft store), and cutting. I got several compliments on how beatiful they were.
  • Options
    christi4christi4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I already signed a contract with bouts n boquets could you eloborate on what you mean by promises were not kept.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent you a private message :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards