Texas-Houston

Texas Theme without the Cheese?

I really want a Texas feel to my wedding, but I want to keep it classy and stylish.  I'm not really into boots and square dancing.  How can I make it traditional and not tacky? Please help, thanks!

Re: Texas Theme without the Cheese?

• edited December 2011
    By "Texas" feel, I'm going to assume you mean making it feel rustic or homey?

I think you can do this by adding in some browns, coppers and maroons into your color scheme. You can also incorporate local flowers, stars and wood elements into your centerpieces. Serving Shiner would represent the Lone Star State well too.

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    what tranjuliet said. andplusalso, add in some galvanized steel (I have a few lanterns I wouldn't mind selling, also I know where to find cheap buckets and pails). use mason jars as vases, you can get a whole bunch of these for really cheap. serve BBQ.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • mksmith5mksmith5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What Pooh described was just how my Engagement party was! and everybody had a blast!  However, my wedding will be at a large white mansion.  I'm struggling with my floral and reception design...it's next May, and the bluebonnets will be gone by then.  I want something grand! Think David Tutera on My Fair Wedding.  But I can't afford him.  I wish I had a florist that could do what he does.  I'm having large sprays and some smaller arrangements.  But I need that WOW factor, and Texas themed....
  • mksmith5mksmith5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought about a Gone with the Wind theme, because of the big white mansion. But Texas isn't really like that.  There are longhorns on the grounds of the venue.  And my fiance's family and friends are from up north, so I really want to give them a big ol Texas welcome!  My colors are blue and green, and I'll add uplighting.  But could I bring in some trees or something?  I dunno
  • edited December 2011
    mksmith, try wildflowers. keep it simple. wildflowers are big in Texas. you can just put bunches of wildflowers in galvanized steel pails or mason jars. I had wildflowers all over the place at our wedding.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I really like pooh's idea of the galvanized steel and mason jars. I think you can do more for the Texas theme in your catering as opposed to floral. I can't think of any trees that are very specific to Texas the same way palm trees are to the beaches or cactus is to the desert. I think the Texas message is easier to do via food. You can add in a dessert bar with different pies (pecan, key lime, apple, etc.), peach cobbler, blue bell...stuff like that. For drinks, have options like sweet tea.
  • edited December 2011
    Decor- I'd use rustic colors and decor (utilize browns and coppers), I love the wild flower idea & mason Jars. Depending what time of year it is... bring the outside in!

Food- you don't have to do BBQ- but you could def. use lots of good strong tex flavors. We did a  bbq chiptloe stuffed potato bite... it was PERFECT. I also really like the idea of a dessert bar with cobblers/pies etc.

Favors- maybe you could do little jars of salsa, or packets of bluebonnet seeds, or Texas Sheet Cake (in a cute little baggie- maybe with a tag in the shape of TX).
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards