New York-New York City

Short Engagements in NYC?

Hi all,
I've been engaged for just over two weeks. My fiance and I don't want to draw out the engagement for longer than a year, so we're thinking about trying to be quick and plan for a September wedding - that only gives us five months to plan! I haven't started asking any venues about availability then, but I have a feeling it will be tough. Especially because we would like to keep it under $15k for... somewhere between 40 and 90 people. Crazy? Undoable?

Fiance is telling me not to stress over it and approach this one thing at a time - we're having a June 5th engagement party, so he's saying we should plan that first, then worry about the wedding. Thing is, he's the one who wants to have the wedding sooner rather than later, so if I chill out until June 5th, then trying to plan a September wedding will seem like an even greater mountain to climb. 

Thanks for your input!

Re: Short Engagements in NYC?

• edited December 2011
    You can do it! I'd say to plan the engagement party now, and then move immediately on to the wedding reception. Don't wait until June to start thinking about it or you'll just cause yourself more anxiety. My fiance and I are having a similar sized wedding for a similar price here in the city. We found that restaurants were the best option since they included food/alcohol (ie no additional catering costs) and were pretty well decorated (minimal flowers/decor costs). PM me if you'd like the list of places we looked at. Happy planning!
  • edited December 2011

Doable, definitely work on the venue and all the other things will fall into place.  Good luck.

• edited December 2011
    If you are looking for an amazing but affordable photographer then I would love for you to take a look at my work here www.freshinlove.com (although i am booked all but one weekend in Sept).
    cheers and chat soon,
    Melissa

• NYCtherapistNYCtherapist member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally doable.  You're actually in a great position because you can get killer deals booking this close to a date.  You can spend about half of your RH budget for that number of guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Doable.  If I had skipped the videographer, my budget would have been $15,000 for around 80 people.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards