Christian Weddings

What do you think of these passages for reading at our wedding

My FI chose 2 possible passages to be read at our wedding; Proverbs 31:10-31 and Psalms 45. Proverbs 31 speaks of the Character of a Godly woman but I would love to hear your thoughts about both and if you think any of these are appropriate readings for a wedding. Below is the Psalm 45:

1MY HEART overflows with a [a]goodly theme; I address my psalm to a King. My tongue is like the pen of a ready writer.

2You are fairer than the children of men; graciousness is poured upon Your lips; therefore God has blessed You forever.

3Gird Your sword upon Your thigh, O mighty One, in Your glory and Your majesty!

4And in Your majesty ride on triumphantly for the cause of truth, humility, and righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God); and let Your right hand guide You to tremendous things.

5Your arrows are sharp; the peoples fall under You; Your darts pierce the hearts of the King's enemies.

6Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; the scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.

7You love righteousness, uprightness, and right standing with God and hate wickedness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows.(A)

8Your garments are all fragrant with myrrh, aloes, and cassia; stringed instruments make You glad.

9Kings' daughters are among Your honorable women; at Your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.

10Hear, O daughter, consider, submit, and consent to my instruction: forget also your own people and your father's house;

11So will the King desire your beauty; because He is your Lord, be submissive and reverence and honor Him.

12And, O daughter of Tyre, the richest of the people shall entreat your favor with a gift.

13The King's daughter in the inner part [of the palace] is all glorious; her clothing is inwrought with gold.(B)

14She shall be brought to the King in raiment of needlework; with the virgins, her companions that follow her, she shall be brought to You.

15With gladness and rejoicing will they be brought; they will enter into the King's palace.

16Instead of Your fathers shall be Your sons, whom You will make princes in all the land.

17I will make Your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore shall the people praise and give You thanks forever and ever.

Re: What do you think of these passages for reading at our wedding

• edited December 2011
    Psalm 45 is fine, the Proverbs one is little woman-focused, unless that's what your FI meant to do for you. If you did Proverbs I think it would be nice to have another reading that's more man-focused (sorry, I've got no ideas).
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was told by my mentor that Proverbs 31 is the mother in-law's idea of the ideal woman. Just a thought...
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's too woman-focused.  At a wedding, I expect passages about man and woman together.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I love Psalm 45.  I agree with PP's about Proverbs 31 -- as a woman, I strive to be a "proverbs 31 woman" but I'm not sure if I would want a passage about the "ideal wife" or "ideal woman" read at the wedding... I would feel so completely unworthy.  

I wonder if you could include any passages from this list of suggestions:

My favorites on that page are Romans 12:9-21, Colossians 3:12-17, or Genesis 2:18-24 (which admittedly does have more woman-centric language, but might be more like your Proverbs passage without speaking so much about the ideal woman)

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was thinking the exact same thing about Proverbs. I wasn't sure what to think about Psamls, lol. I guess because it is not the common ones that you hear when attending weddings. AZDANCER8 that is an interesting spin! I do agree that I would like a passage that speaks about the marriage or man and woman.

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_think-of-passages-reading-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:3cfc0d3b-b5b6-494d-93a2-fd0a8e80a591Post:b6052f47-604b-4961-a262-66e294a2e7b5">Re: What do you think of these passages for reading at our wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I love Psalm 45.  I agree with PP's about Proverbs 31 -- as a woman, I strive to be a "proverbs 31 woman" but I'm not sure if I would want a passage about the "ideal wife" or "ideal woman" read at the wedding... I would feel so completely unworthy.   I wonder if you could include any passages from this list of suggestions: <a href="http://www.godsknot.com/Verses.aspx?gclid=CJj7ufSo8aUCFZRe7AodZQ1uoA" rel='nofollow'>http://www.godsknot.com/Verses.aspx?gclid=CJj7ufSo8aUCFZRe7AodZQ1uoA</a> My favorites on that page are Romans 12:9-21, Colossians 3:12-17, or Genesis 2:18-24 (which admittedly does have more woman-centric language, but might be more like your Proverbs passage without speaking so much about the ideal woman)
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I will check it out!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been looking for ours, too. I don't want the 1 Corinthians one because everyone uses that one and it's not about man/woman love anyway... although I do love it! 

I have a few that I have written down that are possibilities. If you can't think of one, message me and I will look them up and share.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards