Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

So I quit smoking...

I know it was bad for me.  Duh.  It has been 4 days and I have been eating like crazy to calm the cravings.  Has anybody quit?  Trying to?  Any advice?  Tell me I'm doing the right thing?!
It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: So I quit smoking...

• Options
    Good for you.. I do not have any advice because I never smoked.. but hand in there it will get better..

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    You're doing the right thing.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I quit about 3 years ago. I quit keeping count actually, because I even felt that hindered me. You'll be fine,and you are doing the right thing. A girl in my office finally quit this week, she has to, she has emphysema.
    Just keep yourself busy, and find things like carrots, and celery to munch on. You will have some mood swings just hope everyone around you is prepared and is supportive. Are you taking anything, or on the patch?
    Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You are doing the right thing!  Keep your hands and mouth occupied.  It will distract you.  I developed an addiction to gum and sugar free hard candy.  
  • Options
    My fiance quit smoking a few months ago.  He used the commit lozenges to help, after the first few days.  He said he could go a few days then was really craving a cigarette.  They have worked.  He has slowly weaned himself into cutting the lowest dose of nicotine in half and having a couple a day.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I cut it cold turkey.  I'm doing pretty swell, but there is just THOSE times.  Ya know?
  • Options
    I'm not a smoker but I've also heard gum and sugar free candy help :)
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Like MNIN said, sugar free gum and candy can be very helpful. Great job!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I'm not a smoker, but I really encourage people to stop as soon as they can.  We all know it's bad, but when you actually find an illness because of it... oi.  Then you know you could have prevented this from happening.  Sorry, I'm on a kick about that these days because of my father.

Hit post too soon-- You are going to do a great job, keep up the good work, YOU CAN DO IT
  • Options
    4 days is awesome! Just take it one day at a time. I've been quitting on and off for years. 7 months smoke free right now. I've found success with nicotine replacement therapy and wellbutrin, but being pregnant has been the best motivation yet for me.

My best advice is from a friend of mine who quit a couple of years ago: if you hear a little voice in your head telling you that you can have just one cigarette, or a little drag on a cigarette, and it won't make you start up again, tell that voice to shut the fvck up. Because she's a lying little biitch.

• Options
    Just think an hour after you quit smoking your lungs are already of healing. And believe me you'll feel so much better. I know when we hike I feel better when I'm not wheezing and can go that much further.
    It's hard work but you can do it. And you can always get encouragement here.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You ladies are awesome.
  • Options
    Congrats on 4 days....I'm right there with you, even on Day 4 also.  FI and I are quitting together and we started out on the patches.  They work really well for him but I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and my BP high.  So I'm not using them anymore and going cold turkey.  Mostly what PP said, keep your hands and mouth busy---gum helps for sure.  And I find drinking a lot of fluids keeps me semi-occupied.  Like when sitting on the computer, I keep tea/soda/water, etc. and it helps a lot also. 

GL and congrats again, :)
  • Options
    Hurray! I quit about 2 years ago, and wish Dh would quit too. Luckily I had only started 3 years prior to quitting, he has been smoking for...20 years?

I know this sounds kind of silly but every time you want to smoke, grab a carrot or celery stick and go stand on the balcony/front step/wherever and slowly crunch away. I found I craved the outside solace as much as I did the nicotine.  I also blow "smoke rings" in the air when it's cold outside. Pursing your lips and breathing in, then blowing out helped make the jitterings go away.

This is completely worth it, I promise!
  • Options
    Katie that is SUCH a good idea.  I do miss wasting time, going outside.  It is on my mind 24/7.  Does that ever go away?
  • Options
    Congrats! I quit about a year ago cold turkey, and I'm so glad I did. I'm still out of shape in a lot of other ways, but the difference in my lung capacity is really noticeable. Also, before when I got a cold I'd have a terrible gross cough for like a month afterwards, not anymore! I know it's tough and there are those days, but just find ways to not think about it and it might not be that bad! I actually found it easier than I expected, but there were definitely times when I thought it was the stupidest idea I'd ever had. I still want a cigarette every now and then, but not nearly as often.  You're doing the right thing!

Oooh another suggestion someone gave me that never caught on for me, but might be helpful, is to drink a whole glass of water every time you want to smoke. Beneficial in two ways :)
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quit-smoking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b216cff4-51a5-4c0c-b6be-16969dcaa5e7Post:40fc481f-c433-4b3a-aea3-563cb91c624e">Re: So I quit smoking...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hurray! I quit about 2 years ago, and wish Dh would quit too. Luckily I had only started 3 years prior to quitting, he has been smoking for...20 years? I know this sounds kind of silly but every time you want to smoke, grab a carrot or celery stick and go stand on the balcony/front step/wherever and slowly crunch away. <strong>I found I craved the outside solace as much as I did the nicotine.</strong>  I also blow "smoke rings" in the air when it's cold outside. Pursing your lips and breathing in, then blowing out helped make the jitterings go away. This is completely worth it, I promise!
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

This.  I hear that also!  Thanks for the idea as well :)
  • Options
    It does eventually, and it's really nice when it's the winter. You get that "I want to smoke" bug, step outside, go "holy crap its cold" and that takes care of that.
    I also smoked (and partly why dh does now) because it was an escape at work. Inside a retail manager is chum in front of the sharks, outside with a smoke in hand, you don't fuuck with them.
    I'm hoping once we move it will help dh quit. He smokes significantly less when we're in Maine on vacation, and our new city has the same vibe.

Oh also, when you drive ( this was a biggie with me and I still struggle some days), always always have an apple or carrots in your car. When you get the itch open the window, pick one up, take a bite, then rest your hand on the window, take a bite, rest, etc. You get your fruit/veggies in and it helps make the driving craving go away.
  • Options
    I was just about to tell you to page tlv but she's already here
  • Options
    i'm on day 10 myself, and it sucks. i was pretty much ok for the first week, but this week has been horrible for me. i quit before and it wasn't this hard last time, i don't know why i'm having such difficulties.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quit-smoking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b216cff4-51a5-4c0c-b6be-16969dcaa5e7Post:44a703b3-53a7-474e-b00e-9da110c1dea1">Re: So I quit smoking...</a>:
    [QUOTE]4 days is awesome! Just take it one day at a time. I've been quitting on and off for years. 7 months smoke free right now. I've found success with nicotine replacement therapy and wellbutrin, but being pregnant has been the best motivation yet for me. My best advice is from a friend of mine who quit a couple of years ago: <strong>if you hear a little voice in your head telling you that you can have just one cigarette, or a little drag on a cigarette, and it won't make you start up again, tell that voice to shut the fvck up. Because she's a lying little biitch</strong>.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

Love it!
  • Options
    i've been quit for over 3 years, not one puff. i recommend candy canes. they help with the oral fixation.
  • Options
    4 days ago... I hit a week today (YAY! Go ex-smoking!)!

Maybe that's why my appetite has been weird.  I've been eating a lot of ice (because ice is calorie free) and chewing a lot of gum - sometimes nicotine gum, sometimes not.  It keeps my mouth busy.

And I started knitting again (so, come fall if anyone needs mittens....) to keep my hands busy too.
  • Options
    You should be really proud that you took the first step.  I really need to quit but I am being stubborn about it.  I keep putting it off but need to do it soon. Good Luck and you are definitely doing the right thing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OOT- Now it's my chance to support other people :) can you believe that was a year ago? Hopefully I'm nicer by now.

If I'm being completely honest, It hasn't been a year since my last cigarette. By some magical power, I have actually developed the ability to only have one cigarette.  I'd say I probably have about 1 every 3 months. But now my enabler/supplier friend has quit also, so I don't even have anyone to bum one from :) I think now it's been about 4 months since I had even a puff, but in the last year I've definitely had less than 6ish cigarettes.  I guess I don't think it has to be like alcoholism in the "fall off the wagon" sense, but I completely understand how it is like that for a lot of people.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    PS- Quitting smoking threads always make me want a cigarette. I don't think that's fair. Maybe just because I haven't thought about it in a while.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quit-smoking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b216cff4-51a5-4c0c-b6be-16969dcaa5e7Post:44a703b3-53a7-474e-b00e-9da110c1dea1">Re: So I quit smoking...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best advice is from a friend of mine who quit a couple of years ago: if you hear a little voice in your head telling you that you can have just one cigarette, or a little drag on a cigarette, and it won't make you start up again, tell that voice to shut the fvck up. Because she's a lying little biitch.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]
    You're my hero.  She is a lying little biitch.  Who also says "One more pack won't hurt you.  You already bummed from someone else today."

Stupid little voice.
  • Options
    teach me!

especially after a few drink like tonight... whew do I love me a cig
  • Options
    YEAH!  I love smoking with other people.  Thankfully, FI quit with me.  We wanted to be sober by the time the wedding rolls around so we aren't so stinky.  (17 days!)  A little stressful time to stop, but if we can do this, we can do anything!
  • Options
    I have no clue what my method is, I'm not craving too much of anything and not using any vices to supplement. I've been smoke free for almost 3 weeks now? This is the first time I've tried to quit not using a gum or lozenge. Unfortunately FI is still using tobacco A TON. He tried to slowly step down but that didn't work. I kept telling myself I'll quit after I finish school or in a break. I would quit in a break but then start right back up (using gum)

I do have to say the first week I kept a bag of lollipops with me instead of going for food. It depends if you snack on bad things or healthy things for the lollipops to help.

Maybe have a friend or someone to call when you want to smoke and let them talk you down?

It's really hard, but do what ever it takes, stay motivated and WANT to do it for YOU!!! Your lungs will be happier...mine sure are!

::cheers::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards