Students
Options

To those in med school...

I had thought about that being my next step previously, but I kind of shook it off.  I didn't think I was smart enough, didn't think I would be able to commit the time, just about every excuse I could think of.

But now I'm coming back to it. The school I'm looking at is opening a branch in my hometown, they have a guaranteed acceptance program for people with a certain GPA (which I have) from my school, and they believe in everything I believe healthcare should be.

But med school is just SO expensive.  And it would annihilate my timeline (buh. timelines. you would think I'd learn...)

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here. What have your experiences been like? 
Anniversary

Re: To those in med school...

• Options
    Im in the 6th year of what is going to be a 7 year MD/PhD program. im currently doing both clincial stuff and finishing off my PhD. 

i started 3 years after my college graduation, and hadnt really planned to go to med school (i had planned to go to grad school in the basic sciences instead)

this is hard. it takes a lot of time, and yes, it is expensive. but if its what you want to do, then its what you want to do. 

im not sure anyone "loves" the actualy act of being in med school. we like parts of it, but what we really like is that we are getting close to the actual point where we get to practice (which is why most of us do this!) its ok to not love every moment of it. its difficult and time consuming, which you already know. 

as for cost -- i wouldnt let that deter you. there are many ways to pay back loans through matching programs in residency, serving under represented populations for a few years, etc. 

let us know if you have any questions. good luck!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi! I just graduated from med school, so I'm an intern, right now the hours are very long and it can be very frustrating at times...but at the end of the day I'm not sure what else I would do with my life.

I definitely agree with lynnie...it is hard. you will sacrifice most of your young adult life learning & being in the hospital. it is life-altering in both the good and the bad ways. I guess my advice would be if there is nothing else you could see yourself enjoying as much, then by all means go for it.

As far as paying for it, it is extremely expensive, but as others have said there are ways around this with scholarships and what not.  An option that worked for me, my life goals and what I want out of medicine is doing a military medicine scholarship (paid for all of med school + books + stipend + about 2x as much as civilians in residency).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm also a third year, got engaged in June and am getting married a month after graduation in May 2012.  I really do love med school, especially the clinical years.  The one major thing to consider is if you want to put your life on hold for this.  For me personally, I knew that if I went to PA school, I would always feel inferior to the physicians because I knew that I could've gone to med school.... so I went to med school.  I graduated college in 3 years, worked a year because I hadn't taken my MCAT until after I graduated and then started med school after working for a year, so I'm younger for my class.  I do feel like I can't start my life until I graduate, but luckily I have a supportive fiance and that is really important.  You ultimately will have a great life and will be able to tailor it to what you want and still live very comfortably, so I say if you have the drive to do it and supportive family/friends/fiance, go for it!!!  It's really awesome!  But if you want to have more of a normal life in the next few years, go to PA school.  One of my best friends just graduated from PA school, has a great job and a great life.  Hope this helps!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards