Christian Weddings

No Alcohol??

I am the MOB and I think I may have a small problem. From the beginning of the planning both my daughter and her future husband have said no alcohol at the reception and that is 100% ok with us. Now the problem we are 3 months out and about at the end of the budget and my future son in law is hinting that beer would be good at the reception. Also should I have included in the invitations that this is a no alcohol reception.

Re: No Alcohol??

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We had a totally dry reception, by our choice, but did not include that in the invitations.  We didn't even tell people, really.  I think a lot of our guests assumed we wouldn't because I was raised in a very conservative, dry home.  H wasn't, but we didn't hear any complaints from his side.  If people complain, that's their problem. 

If you are paying for the reception, and you don't want to pay for alcohol, you don't have to.  If this is something your FSIL really wants, he needs to pay for it. 
  • edited December 2011
    At this point, especially with you paying, I think your FSIL should just go without his beer at the reception.  He can always have a 6-pack waiting for him at the honeymoon suite.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    Tell the groom (or, better yet, have your daughter tell the groom), "It's too bad you've changed your mind. I thought we all agreed a long time ago that there'd be no alcohol at the wedding. Now the catering budget is pretty set, and there's no money for beer. I'm sorry."

If he puts up a fuss, tell him having beer won't just add the cost of the actual beer, it could add to the reception site fees, insurance costs, catering fees, etc. You'll have to figure out where to store it and how to serve it.
  • edited December 2011
    We are not having alcohol at our wedding, but I think people will already know that since the reception is at the church as well.

If there is no more money in the budget for alcohol stay firm and continue saying no. It's too late to add it on now.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We are also having a Dry reception.
    I'd hold firm to what you originally stated. Good luck!
    "Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You didn't need to put it in the invitations.

Do you have a good relationship with your future son in law? If so, you could talk to him or just have your daughter tell him that there is no money in the budget for beer, so if he would like to have some at the reception, he should pay for it himself.

GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have alcohol at our reception either. That was the way that my parents and I wanted it. My fiance went along with it (neither of us drink). His parents can be big drinkers, as can some of both of our extended families. We tried to make sure those people were aware that there wouldn't be any alcohol, but we didn't put it on the invitation, more of a word of mouth thing to those who asked, but most people didn't. It went over well, and I didn't hear a comment at the wedding and don't think I have heard one since.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having a dry reception (save money)...however, after the reception my FI and I are going back to his parents' house to have some champagne with a few family members.  Maybe suggest to the groom that maybe there can be an intimate family after-party to drink instead of having to pay a vendor for alcohol?
  • edited December 2011
    We ended up having a dry reception too - Groom's family would have paid for it if they had the budget for it, but as the months drew closer, they realized that they could either throw a smashing good rehearsal dinner and have the reception be dry,  or have pizza for the rehearsal dinner and have alcohol for the reception ... I'm kind of glad they chose to have the super-cool rehearsal dinner instead.  I would have been fine with alcohol at the reception, but if it's not in the budget, it's not.  That's what I'd tell them ... when they decided what they wanted, and you set up the catering (etc), you no longer have any additional $ for adding alcohol to the reception (which is VERY expensive, despite how casually people throw that phrase around on TK). 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards