New York-New York City
Options

I've got NYC wedding price blues :_(

My fiance and I are in love with the idea of doing a 1920's vintage hollywood theme for our wedding (complete with speakeasy), and we finally found the perfect venue (Pratt Mansion) and a gorgeous church in our denomination just 8 blocks north.  The problem?  Both of these venues are $5K before catering, and all the catering prices I've been quoted (by about 20 venues now) are around $150/person, which means catering alone is pretty much our entire budget.  Specifically, Pratt only allows certain caterers and all of them start at $150/person.

Unfortunately, I'm glued to the idea of a gothic revival church, and we love the idea for our theme.  Does anyone know of any caterers or venues that could pull this off that are not that outrageous in NYC?  We considered another city, but that would leave a lot of our NYC friends in the dust.  We're to the point of postponing the wedding a year.  Or eloping.  How can you settle for anything else when you've found the perfect place?  Help appreciated.

Re: I've got NYC wedding price blues :_(

• Options
    softjsoftj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with the gorgeous church 8 blocks north. I had the same problem when my fiance and I were looking for venues. We love Governor's Island and wanted to get married there, but the cost was outrageous! On top of that, they required we use their caterer. No way! We ended up booking a beautiful venue for both our ceremony and reception for a fifth of the price. In Manhattan! I'm biased of course, but my fiance runs a personal chef company and they also cater weddings. If you're interested just let me know. I'll give you his website/talk about it. 

Good Luck! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the catering is the big problem - the on site caterers at this mansion are quoting us basically our entire budget!  I know people are like "decide what your priorities are" but I'm only getting married once and I don't want to regret not getting married in the church of my dreams.

What venue did you use in Manhattan?  I'm curious.  And yes I'd love your husband's company info!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Consider the 3 west club.
    In the same neighborhood with a great vibe itself, and much cheaper with delish food onsite, no caterer needed!
    www.3westclub.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been looking at them.  Only problem is they have a "spending minimum" for saturday and sunday weddings.  No fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you set on having your wedding in Manhattan?  If not, I suggest you look to the outer boroughs instead of Manhattan.  I'm not paying anywhere near $150 pp.  Creating the speakeasy feeling will really depend on how you decorate the space.
  • Options
    suseehumansuseehuman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Venues that come with caterers are not going to have a good range of prices on catering.     You may want to find a good, affordable caterer first and ask them about venues as who would know better.    The "speakeasy" theme can be carried out with your music, decor and  gowns having that 20's influence.     You may want to check in with Anstice Carroll Catering.    Anstice has been in the business for years, her food is delicious - one of the few in Zagat's, and she can help you plan your reception by guiding  you to  choices for your food and rentals  that are cost effective but won't make your event any less grand.     
  • Options
    whitts79whitts79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always look into renting a raw loft space. You can decorate to give you the feel that you're going for and have the option of pricing out your own caterers.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    jmarchionnijmarchionni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about the price, but before I found my venue I was considering looking into  these:

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/about/?weddings

http://www.landmarkonthepark.org/

• Options
    krusso24krusso24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Riverside Church is expensive, esp if you're not a parishoner!!

But Landmark on the Park is a really cost effective option...
    Soon-to-be Mrs. C

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a similar theme at a restaurant on the upper west side (107 West)

It has a lot of laquer, dark wood, metallic and glass that can be instant art deco/old hollywood with the right touches. My florist is turning it into a masterpiece. All my vendors are on my blog www.foreverisntfree.blogspot.com
    nylon26
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards