Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tacky to plant marigolds?!

I searched online to find out when to plant the marigold seeds FI's mom gave us, and google came up with several different forums in which the members were discussing how tacky it is to have marigolds anywhere except around a vegetable garden. Apparently this is because they're associated with tractor tire planters. Has anyone else heard of this?
Anniversary

Re: Tacky to plant marigolds?!

• Options
    No. They're hearty and that's the kind of flower I need if they're going to survive in my flowerbed. I also happen to love that inchworm song about measuring marigolds.
  • Options
    Never, ever heard this and Mom has a greenhouse.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Never heard this before.  Sounds stupid to me.
  • Options
    Nope, never heard this. I like marigolds. They smell terrible, but they're pretty and hearty.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I like marigolds because they are practically impossible to kill, which comes in handy for a serial flower murderer like me. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I plant marigolds every year in honor of my grandfather (and I'm actually going to have a pot of them at my reception for the same reason.)

Since when is a flower tacky?  Silly marigold haters!

(I do hear they are good to keep around a vegetable garden though, because bunnies don't like them and will stay away.)
  • Options
    I don't really love the smell, but my grandmother had many beds of marigold in her suburban house, along with pansies, petunias, roses, honeysuckle, and snapdragons. They're just... marigolds. FWIW, she never had a vegetable garden. I've never heard that "rule" before.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Apparently these people think its ok for veggie gardens because it's a functional role and not an aesthetic one, since they repel bugs. I was really shocked to read that since I love the bright yellow and orange colors they have and think they're really pretty... plus I'm not one to turn down anything that's free. I guess some gardeners just have trowels stuck up their a$$es.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    It sounds like the people who decided they are tacky are just uppity. If they look good and arent invasive, plant away!!
  • Options
    I don't understand how a flower can be tacky.  I live one planted in a flower bed.  I just don't get it.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tacky-plant-marigolds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b28a99d8-bdde-400a-bd03-41e914733a6ePost:46e537ef-c19c-44af-a2c0-e73c47808034">Re: Tacky to plant marigolds?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like marigolds because they are practically impossible to kill, which comes in handy for a serial flower murderer like me. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

ha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards