Florida-Central Florida
Options

Children....

So the FI and I have been going back and forth on the issue of children at the wedding. My grandmother is against it, and my Mom is not a huge fan of the idea outside of his nieces and nephews and my goddaughter (all whom are in the wedding). Plus 2 of my bridesmaids will have boys who are just 1. Here is the problem: his cousins who all live up north, mostly Kentucky, all have kids. He says they won't come if they can't bring the kids, I don't think most of them will come anyways. 2 are due this summer and one of those has a 1 1/2 year old already. Another has 2 boys 1 will be 2 1/2 and the other 7 (he's a brat too). Another cousin has 2 kids I cannot stand, at his grandmothers funeral they were running around the funeral home, they are going to be 13 and 9. Lastly, his other cousin who he doesn't even speak to (and didn't say 2 words to me at this gmas funeral) has 1 little girl who will be 7.

What are you thoughts on this? Kids under 12 will only cost us $12.99 for a chicken finger plate. But, its not like we can invite 1 cousin and their kids, and not another.

On a side note my only cousin with kids is leaving hers in PA, all 4 of them, and my family is much closer than his. Also, our local friends will not be bringing their kids.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
225 image Invited
127 image Making the Trip
98 image Missing out
0 image MIA
RSVP date February 19th

Re: Children....

• Options
    Blonde407Blonde407 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You said it yourself... you can't invite 1 cousin and their kids and not another.  If you are having a flower girl and ring bearer you could do children of family only... that is what we did.  I think most extended family that are out of state such as cousins don't usually end up going anyways... especially when they have to plan travel for all their kids lol
    **Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote no kids, but thats because I can't stand kids running around at formal events. What I am doing is have one of my moms friends daughters (she is an elementary ed major and is graduating in may) babysitting in one of the rooms at the hotel. In the people you invite with kids you can add a note that a babysitter will be available if they bring their kids to orlando for $X an hour or if you want to pay for it then leave out the $X an hour. I know its hard because we are in a vacation spot that many guests will want to extent the wedding weekend and use it as a family vacation. Make sure on your invites you only list the parents so they know that if they don't use the babysitter during the ceremony and reception their kids will not be allowed at the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE kids running around at weddings. :) That said, I believe that when you see hellions tearing through a dance floor and screaming, they only behave that way because of poor planning and poor parenting. None of the families we are friends with are poor parents, and we are providing lots of games and activities for the kids to do (in their own special kids' area) so there will be no poor planning either. Those two things make all the difference.

Also, I agree with you and Jess. You can't say that some kids are allowed but not others. If they're RBs or FGs I suppose that's different, but if I was at a wedding where I was told no kids were allowed and then they had RB/FG kids, I might be irked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, its either all kids or no kids. Like was said- all kids of the family or none. Like for me I am not having a RG/FG. I think FI's cousins are coming (15 amd 13) but I have no other cousins that are that age, all are over 18 and are invited of under 6 and are not invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies, I was thinking of doing the kids table and/or babysitter. I want people to enjoy themselves, and not worry about kids running crazy. Eventually I will let you all know our decision!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    127 image Making the Trip
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you can't invite one and not the other. I saw someone do a kids table - they put puzzles, toys, coloring books, candy, etc.. that was placed far on one end of the room.. away from the dance floor and it seemed to work out well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The kids at our wedding were all involved in the ceremony but one (RB, FG, program and guest book attendants) and they were all either siblings, nieces or nephews. The one who wasn't in the wedding was only two months old and still nursing. He's DH's baby cousin and he and his parents came all the way from Seattle.
    That's Mrs.skWhitneyAmanda to you!

You're my true love, my whole heart ♥ ♥ ♥ <-- Married Bio <br>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards