Students
Options

Young bride

A little bit of background info:
I'm 19 and so is my FI
We're both students in the same college.
I'm a sophomore and he's actually a freshman (he's a month younger than me)
I'm a psychology major and he is a computer science major
We've been together for a little more than two years
My parents have decided to pay for the wedding
He's my best friend in the entire world and I cannot wait to marry him
Oh..and we're not technically engaged yet... We haven't made the announcment to any friends/family besides immediate family. (I guess you could say it's not Facebook official)
Anyway.....I'm not sure when I should make this little announcement. I would like to get married as soon as possible, but realistically we won't be able to until we both receive our bachelor's degrees (I will graduate in 2014). Then we will both go on for our masters degrees. Ugh. Talk about frustrating. So, are there any brides out there that can offer any advice? When should I officially get engaged if we are waiting until we graduate? What can I do to pass the time?

But...if we decide to tie the knot a little earlier, what kind of financial problems will I run into (we both get financial assistance from student loans)?

Oh, and I do realize that we're both young. I try not to let comments about this get to me. We're both mature and realize that marriage is a difficult thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone

Re: Young bride

• Options
    ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm a sophomore, too, and my unofficial FI is four months older than me (he's not in school). We've been together for 2 1/2 years and can't get married until the year after I graduate, during which I'm going to be in pharmacy school. Our families don't know because they disapprove of young marriages. The ring and announcement will come after he asks for my parent's permission when I'm a senior. It's nice to see so many other people in the same boat as me (none of my friends even have boyfriends!).

Best of luck. I know how horrible the waiting is. If you figure out a way to make it easier, let me know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are you worried about family or friends reactions or do you just not want a several year long engagement?
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    All I have to say is that no, you cannot be 'unofficially engaged'. You're engaged, or you're not. Just like how you can't be unofficially pregnant.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    I think I would be so excited about being engaged/getting married that I wouldn't be able to keep it from anyone!  My fiance and I have been together since high school, so almost 8 years.  We got engaged my junior year of college (2010) and aren't getting married until October.  So we'll be engaged for almost 2 1/2 years before getting married. 

And just an FYI, my Mother works in Financial Aid at a college and you will get significantly more assistance by being married; not so much in grants, but loans for sure. 

And even when you're young...if you know he's the one, that's all that matters :)
  • Options
    I'm a Sophomore in college for one more semester - FI got his undergrad in Computer Science about 5 years ago.

With Financial Aid, if you're married they will take only your income and your husband's income into account (you are now your own  household) rather than your parent's.

For you guys, you'll probably end up with MORE aid.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Hi!! I'm a young bride to-be as well. I just turned 20 two weeks ago, and my finace will be 20 in june. I have the same questions about Financial Aid as well because we are both sophomores at the same school.
    But my advice for you is that if you're ready and you have your parents blessings then go ahead and do it! I know it's hard for young married couples because there are so many people that have an opinion as to why you should wait and how we are young and have our whole lives ahead of us. But i feel like if you know that you want to spend the rest of your life with that person, then do it! I'm sure we are all to the point where we know what love is. There is no "time to get engaged". Whenever he proposes and you answer with YES!!! then you are engaged, you don't have to make it facebook official, nor wait to tell anyone. It's all up to you! IF you want everyone to know, then tell them, if not then don't worry about it!
    Good luck and best wishes!!
  • Options
    Hi! I'm 20 years old and my FI is 25. We just got engaged this Christmas. We have decided to wait until 2014 to get married so that I will be out of school and (hopefully) have a job. We'd prefer to get married in 2013, sure, but we know that living off of 1 teacher's income would be extremely hard and would put a lot of stress on our marriage. Although our parents support us either way and my parents have said they would pay for me to finish school, there are a lot of things you need to consider. Would you have the money to pay all your bills and still have some to save each month? Would you have the money to pay off your student loans in a reasonable time? What if an unexpected emergency happens and you need to pay a large lump sum of cash? I cannot tell you what you should do either way, but these are things that we considered when deciding when to tie the knot.
    In the end, if he's the one you know you'll marry, waiting until your graduate shouldn't matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards