Second Weddings

This board is S-L-O-W

Come on, ladies.  We need some excitement.  Ok, to get the conversation started, what's everyone doing over the weekend?  Anyone planning for their Thanksgiving meal?  What do you do that's a non-traditional dish for Thanksgiving? Do you actually give thanks, or is it a feasting and football extravaganza? 

Anything controversial you want to discuss? 
image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.

Re: This board is S-L-O-W

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm living and working in the UK right now, so I won't even get Thanksgiving day off from work...

This weekend I'm going to start some Christmas shopping...starting early since stuff will have to be shipped back to the states.   Plus, no Thanksgiving = no Black Friday here:-)
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    There is no giving thanks at my house.  And no football, usually.  We are not really college football fans.  There is always a playing of the long version of Alice's Restaurant on vinyl.  With singing. By us and our terrible voices. 

No real non-traditional foods served.  We usually include shrimp in the appetizers, but I don't think that's so unusual.

Pie baking reminds me of my Dad, he was an awesome baker.  So I always bake too many pies and throw some away a week later.

Controversial?  Hmmm (Where's Mac when we need her handfast?)
    How about - cats on the counter, dogs licking the dinner plates -- Is it OMG get the level 4 biocontainement field up?  Or hey, I kiss them on the mouth, Mi germs es su germs? 
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_this-board-s-l-o-w-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:1a5d77bd-1926-41e1-b113-e7bafa30b61bPost:4fa31839-cfce-4dd3-a116-61fbc99c8a1c">Re: This board is S-L-O-W</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is no giving thanks at my house.  And no football, usually.  We are not really college football fans.  There is always a playing of the long version of Alice's Restaurant on vinyl.  With singing. By us and our terrible voices.  No real non-traditional foods served.  We usually include shrimp in the appetizers, but I don't think that's so unusual. Pie baking reminds me of my Dad, he was an awesome baker.  So I always bake too many pies and throw some away a week later.<strong> Controversial?  Hmmm (Where's Mac when we need her handfast?) How about - cats on the counter, dogs licking the dinner plates -- Is it OMG get the level 4 biocontainement field up?  Or hey, I kiss them on the mouth, Mi germs es su germs?</strong> 
    Posted by right1thistime[/QUOTE]

Just TRY keeping a cat off the counter.   I swear, the second I leave the house, he's up there....though, once he walked across a hot cooktop (glass top) -- guess he's not smart enough to know that the little red light means it's still hot.    But yeah, his germs are my germs....
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    I hear you Avion, but there's something to be said for those little furry paws were just digging in the litterbox, you know? 

I guess my perspective is, I don't invite the cat onto the counter.  I don't feed the cat there, and I brush them off when they are up there. My kitty used to jump up anytime the can opener ran, hoping it was tuna.  She got brushed off every time.  I've been to houses where the cat food is on the counter to keep the dog out of it, meaning the cat was up there all the time.  That makes me a little squicked out, I guess. 

I am not a fan of the dog licking the dinner plates clean, but more because its bad for them.  The dishwasher kills all the cooties. 
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    How about the cats licking the dinner plates whilst ON the counter?  <sigh> bad habit I know, but wait until Mama comes for her Christmas visit......those cats will be flying off the counters.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what's everyone doing over the weekend?  CLEANING HOUSE!!! My daughter wanted to move upstairs from her basement room (which she took over when my son left 2 years ago). That meant major shifting of furniture and "stuff" which is now all jumbled together in bags and on the floors of "spare" rooms and needs to be sorted.                           

Anyone planning for their Thanksgiving meal?  My son is planning on driving home from DC with his new "galpal", seems to be serious (he changed his FB page to "in a relationship"). Ergo, the above mentioned massive cleaning project.....much of the "stuff" is in the spare/guest bedroom.  Galpal is a vegetarian (no we are not having tofu-rkey) so there may be a bit more of the veggie side dishes than normal. I'm even contemplating setting up the Xmas stuff the weekend before because now that they are a couple, he might end up going to her family's in Kansas for Xmas.......no need to miss my "mini-Martha-Steward-holiday-display" to impress upon her what a great future MIL I'd be Wink

What do you do that's a non-traditional dish for Thanksgiving? Nope, normal stuff. But now I have to make my stuffing/dressing with veggie broth, not chicken

Do you actually give thanks, or is it a feasting and football extravaganza?  I always give thanks, but in a non-religious way. We live near Detroit. We have a football game on with our gridiron heroes at noon every Thanksgiving. Now we can watch it on the 42" plasma we splurged on last month, which is set up in the family room, right next to the dining room Laughing. No room divider. GO LIONS!!!
  • edited December 2011

.....WELLLLL, while in Pittsburgh a few weekends ago (to meet the FMIL & family) DF invinted them all to thanksgiving here.  Which is great (I think) I love entertaining and have family around, but he is not close with them, our visit a few weeks ago was his first in 10 yrs, we live in Ohio.  I told him since he invited them we had to redo the main bathroom (we co-hab).

I am just nervous, and I know it, everything will be fine as long as the boys get along and my son listens....which is highly unlikely.

The bathroom is going to be a fun project!  I love home improvements and am rather handy, and he is very handy as well.  We work well together, he knows just what to do without me asking (in the kitchen) so the meal will be easy and enjoyable from that aspect.

We will have a traditional dinner, turkey, stuffing, greenbean cas. ( only b/c DF loves it) mashed pototo/gravy ect.

I am sure football will be on, not that I will be watching it......maybe I can sneak in a period movie!  --DF  just advised me that football was coming to Saturdays LOL!

ok, i have gone on enough!

Thanks for reading!

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_this-board-s-l-o-w-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:1a5d77bd-1926-41e1-b113-e7bafa30b61bPost:21982673-b3ce-42a1-9497-78dfd25e5c05">Re: This board is S-L-O-W</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hear you Avion, but there's something to be said for those little furry paws were just digging in the litterbox, you know?  I guess my perspective is, I don't invite the cat onto the counter.  I don't feed the cat there, and I brush them off when they are up there. My kitty used to jump up anytime the can opener ran, hoping it was tuna.  She got brushed off every time.  I've been to houses where the cat food is on the counter to keep the dog out of it, meaning the cat was up there all the time.  That makes me a little squicked out, I guess.  I am not a fan of the dog licking the dinner plates clean, but more because its bad for them.  The dishwasher kills all the cooties. 
    Posted by right1thistime[/QUOTE]

The cat isn't ALLOWED on the counter:-)   I shoo him off whenever I see him up there, and I certainly don't keep his food on the counter.   But I know that when my back is turned, he's probably up there, so I ALWAYS wipe the counters before I start preparing food, or any time after I've seen him up there (non eco-friendly, but I go through a lot of lysol wipes). 
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    This weekend I'm working today (always work Saturdays).  Tomorrow, we are going to a really cool party store in the area to pick up our plastic champagne flutes for our toasts.  We'll probably also get some plates to serve the cupcakes on at the reception.

Thanksgiving...  FI and I will be continuing our tradition of eating out for lunch.  We take a trip every year to the town we'll be getting married in - which is why we are getting married there Thanksgiving weekend.  We'll have Thursday and part of Friday to ourselves.  Friends and family start arriving Friday and the wedding will be Saturday.  Yay!

Cats on counters...  We keep them off the counters and table when we are home.  When we're not home - pretty sure they get on them anyway.  Alas.
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I don't know about your cats, but I am pretty sure that our cats, when we are not at home, are watching PBS and reading Dostoyevsky.  Of course that's only when they're not cleaning their own litter boxes and paying the bills online.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_this-board-s-l-o-w-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:1a5d77bd-1926-41e1-b113-e7bafa30b61bPost:be9ca394-2487-4acf-9185-e67a9f53da06">Re: This board is S-L-O-W</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know about your cats, but I am pretty sure that our cats, when we are not at home, are watching PBS and reading Dostoyevsky.  Of course that's only when they're not cleaning their own litter boxes and paying the bills online.
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the picture of the cat on the couch with the remote and a beer?  That's our cats.  ;)  They will occasionally get up and around to wrestle each other like they're in the frickin' WWE, but that's it. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My cat musta been slow.  All she did was climb up on the table to perform her "personal grooming" tasks.  Oh, and climb the Christmas tree.  Something very creepy about coming home to a tree that's moving, and see 2 glowing eyes looking back at you. 
    edited December 2011
    We're putting up the "big" tree this year so I suspect we'll have Bo in the tree at some point.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know what I love about this board? We can start off talking about Thanksgiving and end up with a discussion about cats on counters.  :-)

Todd's cats, Pepper and Max, wrestle too.  When my dog was alive, he used to play policeman and charge them and they would break it up.  He was the best.  EVER.  We don't allow them on the counters, but I'm sure they're up there when we're away. I have found Pepper up on the counters when I've walked in the door.  She's a weird cat.  If she thinks no one is home, she grabs whatever she can in her mouth, like a sock, or a facecloth, and walks around the house meowing in the most mournful way.  Like she's REALLY lonely.  This happens sometimes when I'm telecommuting--she forgets I'm there and starts in. I have to yell Pepper!  I"M HERE!!! And she runs in and jumps in my lap.   This usually happens when I'm on conference calls.  :-)

She was the one who was stabbed during the burglary last year, so even though she's a pain in the patootie, and decides that she needs to pee on things, we're grateful she survived the a$$holes who broke in. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • coopsbabycoopsbaby member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This is our first real holiday for FI to celebrate with my family, and my son will be bringing his new girlfriend, so that should be fun. We are toatlly traditional with the foods since my mom is totally OCD about those things!

After dinner we play board games, some of the guys watch football, depends on who is playing. Unfortunately FI has to work that day, so he has to leave right after lunch. And ds is going to a second T-day super with wis gf family, so my guys will be gone. Boo!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • awayagainawayagain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think its dirty when cats get on the counter because of all the activities they do during the day , such as bringing me home presents from the woods aka dead mice. And digging around in the litter box, but I give my kitty kisses so I guess it makes me contradictory. On the other hand, I did a design project awhile ago for elderly people that have cats, and the thing we came up with was making a lift so that the elderly didn't have to bend over to feed the cat, but rather put the bowl at waist level making it easier access. I can see why some older people who have pets would put the dish on the counter because it saves them from throwing out their backs to feed their fur babies. I'd rather wipe off the counters when I get older then hurt myself trying to feed my animals. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards