Christian Weddings

BYOBible?

We are getting married in our Kingdom Hall, I don't know if any of you have ever been in one but they do not have pews as seating, just chairs in rows. Therefore, we do not have extra bibles just lying around. Everyone has their own. My entire family are not religious. But as part of the ceremony, bible verses will be read and it is customary to bring your bible and follow along. The question: Should I put this on the invitation? Like "Please bring your personal copy of the bible." somewhere at the bottom? Or just leave it blank? Thanks!

Re: BYOBible?

• katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm. I have never brought my bible to a wedding, nor would it occur to me to. I have never seen people use the bibles to follow along with the readings before either.

If it's something that is customary or important to you and your guests, I would probably make arrangements to provide the bibles. I don't think I would put it on the invitation.
  • On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.

I wouldn't put it on the invitation. I would either arrange for there to be extras, if people would want to follow along, or spread it by word of mouth.

Out of curiousity, is it customary for Jehovah's Witnesses to bring their own bibles to a wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes it is customary. We usually follow along with the speaker as he is talking. Mostly its for visitors who aren't Witnesses to see that we are doing and saying what Jehovah says, not men.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In that case I would figure out a way to provide bibles. If your family isn't religious, they may not have one or know where it is. I would keep an extra stack for your family who wouldn't think to bring one. Maybe you can ask around from friends to borrow extras? I know I myself probably own 4-5 bibles, so maybe between a few friends or your family you could round up enough extras.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Are you going to have wedding programs?  If so, you could just include any scriptures that you would like for people to follow along with, and then you won't have to stress about getting enough Bibles together, and having to get them to their rightful owners, etc.
    Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If someone is not "religious", they probably aren't interested in seeing that the scripture is actually in the Bible and they probably would not want to follow along.  I can understand what the objective is, but people who do not read the Bible are not likely to feel comfortable looking up the scriptures and following along. 

Also, people who don't read the Bible or aren't religious could be confused by the difference between the version of the Bible that is being read and the one that they are looking at.  It seems like it would be more meaningful to have them listen to the scripture reading rather than to follow along  with the reader.

I think I would be inclined to just let it go. 
  • On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also look into maybe getting a few (10?) copies (Wal-Mart has bibles for $5 a piece), and then after the ceremony you could donate them to your church for people to have, or give them as a gift for those who would like them.

I also like the idea about the programs, and printing out any scriptures that would be used during the ceremony so people could follow along there.

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think, if I'm understanding you, that the point of using the Bible is for non-believers to see that what is being read is from the Bible.  So I don't think the programs will accomplish that, but it is a nice idea for your guests to have the words in front of them (as long as you aren't reading a lot - then it could get too long).
  • bfroeschbfroesch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be kind of tacky to put BYOBible... The program idea is really neat tho! maybe make bookmarks with the scripture passages that are being read so it can be a souvenir as well as having your selected passages available. :)
    Then, you could tuck the bookmark into the programs.
  • edited December 2011
    We decided against asking guests to bring bibles on the invites. We're just going to spread it by word of mouth and if people remember, they remember, but if they dont, inbd. Thanks though! :)

oh, and we aren't having programs..
  • edited December 2011
    definitely.  i think that might have been inappropriate (and offensive) to some.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards