Texas-Houston
Options

Debate

On Facebook, one of my friends asked this question. We are having a SERIOUS debate! I said $10,000. But everyone is acting like they should only use $1! What are you alls opinion?
So...if an engaged couple has $20,000 to invest in their future how much of it should be spent on a wedding?

Re: Debate

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a personal decision that only that couple could make but if it was me I wouldn't want to spend more than half the amount and then invest the other half.  I do alreay have new built home so it would only be for me to invest it anyways.
    Planning Bio
    Updated 8/24
    The Planning Blog
    Updated 8/26

• Options
    STBMrsMartinSTBMrsMartin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with FML it is a personal choice of that couple. Everyone is in a different situation. There is not perfect formula on what a couple should spend on their wedding. It really depends on your on your goals as a couple.

For DH and I we spent every penny of our budget, but our goal was not to be in debt because of the wedding so we didn't go past our budget.
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Options
    ayersfam20ayersfam20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was in the planning process I probably would have said $10k .... but now looking back, I'd say about $2k.  Take a nice vacation to a beach somewhere and get married there. :-)
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it's a personal choice. FI and I are both only childs to parents who never got to have real weddings of their own, so having a nice wedding for our family and friends would be like a gift for our parents - something they would really appreciate. With that said, I'm a believer that if you plan it right, you can have it both ways - the nice wedding and the down payment on your home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ ayersfam - i want to go away and get married, but fi was the one that wanted a big wedding by my stipulation was it would be my way....after all that i still ahve to argue him down for it to be my way, although I will say he is beginning to break, lol.
    Planning Bio
    Updated 8/24
    The Planning Blog
    Updated 8/26

• Options
    edited December 2011

I agree with all the others- of course it matters what your current financial situation is.

That said....If this is just 20K given to you- and you already are in the housing you want to be in & you're debt free... I'd spend 50% on the wedding, 25% on the honeymoon & 25% to either invest or spend upgrading items in your home (or other items of choice).

Photobucket
  • Options
    ccrabtree02ccrabtree02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...I have been thinking about this since you first posted.  I spent 1,000 on my wedding dress and have been hearing about it ever since.  You know what..I put myself through college and no one helped me at all and no one is helping me with my wedding but all are still worried about how I spend my own money.  If you have 20,000 to invest in your future and if you want to spend 20,000 on your wedding...DO IT.  It is your money......do what you want with it.  Just know that on the flip side you will be paying out of pocket when it comes to your house cars/etc. Do what you want with your money just be willing to deal with the consequences (used car instead of new, cheaper vacations. less going out to eat etc.)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CCrabTree, I like that answer! It was well put.

And thank you all for your input. FTR this was just a hypothetical question, this has nothing to do with me personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards