Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon Websites

Hello I am trying to find a good Honeymoon website to register on so that guests who are not coming to the Wedding can donate if they like.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: Honeymoon Websites

• Options
    People are not required to bring you a present if they attend your wedding, so they certainly are not required if they choose not to go. For those who choose not to attend but would still like to extend their congrats through a gift can do so via your tradtional registry and have the gift shipped to the address you provided when you signed up or they may choose to send you a card or the like.

• Options
    Thanks but we are not having a traditional registry our reception is wishing well & people have asked how can they give a monetary donation because they can't make it
  • Options
    use www.myregistry.com. you can set up a cash registry (and name it honeymoon adventures or whatever you want), and people can give you gifts directly there
  • Options
    HM registries are seen as very rude here.  They are deceptive to your guests.  If your guests want to give you cash, they'll give you cash.  There's no need to do it through a third party website who is going to take a cut.  
  • Options
    Not another one.

HM registries are tacky.  If you want money then don't register (like you have done) and people will get the point.  If your guests who can't make the wedding want to give you money they can use what is called the United States Postal Service and send you a check in a card.

And really a wishing well...don't even get me started.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice I am new to this that's why I asked
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:d0647c16-6c75-4e1f-a22c-1865b87a075d">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not another one. HM registries are tacky.  If you want money then don't register (like you have done) and people will get the point.  <strong>If your guests who can't make the wedding want to give you money they can use what is called the United States Postal Service and send you a check in a card.</strong> And really a wishing well...don't even get me started.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I was going to respond saying this. People receive cards all of the time in the mail for birthdays, Christmas, invitations, etc. This is no different. They can send you a check or cash via a note or card.

• Options
    My fiancé and I are already established and don't need to register for things we don't need & no I don't want to get you started.. I asked a simple question I was not trying to offend anyone..
  • Options
    If people can send you a card with a check, why is that an issue? Most HM registries charge fees and you will actually get more money by just having people send you a card.

FWIW- my DH is 50, so clearly established and has owned a home since 1989. I also have owned a home since 2004. We did not have a registry, as we did not have a traditional wedding, but we can think of a million things to put on one. You'd be surprised when browsing the web how many cool things they have come out with or just would be nice to have as an upgrade to what you currently own.

• Options
    For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so snarky and downright rude when someone asks a question about a topic they don't agree with.  She wasn't asking about your personal opinion on the issue, just for suggestions since people specifically asked her where they can donate money. 
    This is suppose to be a place to get support and answers to questions you have about your wedding, not get yelled at because people's personal opinions differ.  Not sure why attacking/making people feel bad about decisions they are making is a worthwhile cause.  Do something else if you can't be at least cordial and helpful.  Set a good example for your (future) kids.  Don't be mean and a bully just because you can hide behind a computer and do it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:70c503d1-c05f-4a19-849a-23bc0f5e602a">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so snarky and downright rude when someone asks a question about a topic they don't agree with.  She wasn't asking about your personal opinion on the issue, just for suggestions since people specifically asked her where they can donate money.  This is suppose to be a place to get support and answers to questions you have about your wedding, not get yelled at because people's personal opinions differ.  Not sure why attacking/making people feel bad about decisions they are making is a worthwhile cause.  Do something else if you can't be at least cordial and helpful.  Set a good example for your (future) kids.  Don't be mean and a bully just because you can hide behind a computer and do it.
    Posted by dem068[/QUOTE]

Just so you know I would have said the same exact thing to her face.  Asking for money is rude, no matter what form you put it in and I will call someone out on it.  We also have about 5+ threads asking abou tHM registries a day so yeah, it gets a bit irritating to keep typing the same thing over and over and over again.

Also, since this is a public forum people can post however they want.  Will I state my opinion about a bad idea, you bet your butt!  I will not blow smoke up peoples rear ends to validate their ideas, that isn't how it works around here and that isn't how normal everyday life works either.

I'm sorry you don't like my bluntness so I guess the best thing for you to do is ignore my posts from now on.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:f1bf8edf-7341-43c3-a222-c566a4c3f56c">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Websites : Just so you know I would have said the same exact thing to her face.  Asking for money is rude, no matter what form you put it in and I will call someone out on it.  We also have about 5+ threads asking abou tHM registries a day so yeah, it gets a bit irritating to keep typing the same thing over and over and over again. Also, since this is a public forum people can post however they want.  Will I state my opinion about a bad idea, you bet your butt!  I will not blow smoke up peoples rear ends to validate their ideas, that isn't how it works around here and that isn't how normal everyday life works either. I'm sorry you don't like my bluntness so I guess the best thing for you to do is ignore my posts from now on.

if you don't like posting the same thing over and over again, why don't you stop?  No one asked you to validate anything, she simply asked for suggestions. I think it is fine to give opinions, but we are all adults, and there is no need to be rude about it.  I read these boards and am shocked about how rude and downright mean people are to each other.  It is almost embarrasing to see grown woman acting this way. Believe it or not, it is possible to have differnt ideas, and express those ideas without insulting the people asking the question.  You can look at any topic here and 10 people will have different opinions, that is the point, but you can still have some manners.
  • Options
    Ok, Dem, can you please point out where in my OP I was rude and mean and a bully?  I stated my opinion about her ideas, and that according to you is perfectly acceptable.  I just think you have a problem with my blunt approach.  Again, I will not sugar coat anything and asking for money is rude so that is what I told her.

Finally, if you don't like these boards then why are you here?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:c65d8707-f105-4790-9306-4beded2e0268">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, Dem, can you please point out where in my OP I was rude and mean and a bully?  I stated my opinion about her ideas, and that according to you is perfectly acceptable.  I just think you have a problem with my blunt approach.  Again, I will not sugar coat anything and asking for money is rude so that is what I told her. Finally, if you don't like these boards then why are you here?

I actually think a ton of these boards for those of us planning an upcoming wedding are super helpful!  I just don't understand what calling someone rude and insulting their idea of a wishing well accomplishes.  It is possible to be helpful without insulting.  Not trying to argue though, as it is pointless to argue with strangers online.   Not to mention that I have an amazing fiance and upcoming wedding to be excited about, and this is a place to share ideas and be happy for other people in this great stange of their lives

Good luck planning your wedding/honeymoon finallymetmyking 13, I am sure whatever you go with, it will be awesome!  (I know people who did an honeymoon registry for specific things they wanted to do on their honeymoon, and people were so psyched to contribute to that, other than buy them a crystal bowl they are never going to use, so as much as people are outspoken on this site, to each her own!)
  • Options
    OP, if your guests want to give you a monetary gift they can just put a check in a card and give it to you. You don't need to set up a gimmicky website that is going to take a cut of the money in order to receive monetary gifts.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:bee53eea-b3fb-4a22-abae-a88b978d4236">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Websites : I actually think a ton of these boards for those of us planning an upcoming wedding are super helpful!  I just don't understand what calling someone rude and insulting their idea of a wishing well accomplishes.  It is possible to be helpful without insulting.  Not trying to argue though, as it is pointless to argue with strangers online.   Not to mention that I have an amazing fiance and upcoming wedding to be excited about, and this is a place to share ideas and be happy for other people in this great stange of their lives Good luck planning your wedding/honeymoon finallymetmyking 13, I am sure whatever you go with, it will be awesome!  (I know people who did an honeymoon registry for specific things they wanted to do on their honeymoon, and people were so psyched to contribute to that, other than buy them a crystal bowl they are never going to use, so as much as people are outspoken on this site, to each her own!)
    Posted by dem068[/QUOTE]

You really didn't answer my question. I also didn't call OP rude or insulted her. I said that asking for money, in any form, is rude. That is definitely not the same thing as saying she is rude. Her idea, yes, but her no.

• Options
    OP, I'm confused--are you setting up a 501(c)3 for your wedding/honeymoon or something since you're soliciting donations?  Is this tax deductible?  Because that's really what donations are for-charities, not honeymoons.

Don't register-people will get the hint and give you money.  Those that aren't comfortable giving you money won't do so with a honeymoon registry either.  Unfortunately, these are considered rude by many, and I'm sure you don't want to offend your guests. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:70c503d1-c05f-4a19-849a-23bc0f5e602a">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so snarky and downright rude when someone asks a question about a topic they don't agree with.  She wasn't asking about your personal opinion on the issue, just for suggestions since people specifically asked her where they can donate money.  This is suppose to be a place to get support and answers to questions you have about your wedding, not get yelled at because people's personal opinions differ.  Not sure why attacking/making people feel bad about decisions they are making is a worthwhile cause.  Do something else if you can't be at least cordial and helpful.  Set a good example for your (future) kids.  Don't be mean and a bully just because you can hide behind a computer and do it.
    Posted by dem068[/QUOTE]

<div>100% agree with you on this!  This is a place for people to feel comfortable with asking questions and getting helpful answers, not being put down...</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:6416a11b-5023-486e-9305-e5db6aaec157">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Websites : 100% agree with you on this!  This is a place for people to feel comfortable with asking questions and getting helpful answers, not being put down...
    Posted by ksisto321[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ummm... wouldn't you rather somebody who doesn't know you tell you the truth, instead of finding out after the fact that you made a decision that caused people who actually know you to talk about you behind your back?  Because they will.  If you want sunshine and rainbows go to weddingbee - every idea there is "awesome!"  Gross.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, there are multiple problems with honeymoon registries.  In a nutshell:</div><div>
    </div><div>1) they are usually deceptive.  Grandma thinks she's buying you a pedicure and she's not.  When she buys you a blender from a standard registry, you actually get the blender.</div><div>
    </div><div>2) They take a cut.  So you are going to lose potentially several hundred dollars to this company.  That seems absurd to me, particularly since it's completely avoidable.  Wouldn't you rather have my check for $100 than the registry company's check for $92?</div><div>
    </div><div>3) You won't get the money until after your honeymoon is over.  That means you have no budget if you are relaying on it to pay for things.  So in this case you either odn't take a honeymoon at all (that could suck) or you charge it and start your marriage in debt (which could really suck).  It's best to plan a honeymoon you can afford regardless of how much you get as a wedding gift, and then use any cash you get for little extras - that massage or that nice bottle of wine that are perks and aren't necessary to have a great honeymoon experience.</div><div>
    </div><div>4) Many many MANY people find them tacky.  Not just these boards.  Why?  Because Aunt Sue, Grandma, and Cousin Joe all pay for their own vacations.  And in years when money is tight, they make the choice to not take a vacation that year, because it's the responsible thing to do.  So if money is tight for you this year - you are planning a wedding afterall - then the responsible choice is to wait and take that big vacation for an anniversary, or delay it until you can pay for it on your own.  Your guests do not have an obligation to send you on a vacation.  If you want the vacation that badly then you can cut out expenses for the wedding itself - in other words, you don't invite as many people - and then you can take that trip to bora bora.  It's called prioritizing.  Point?  People WILL talk about you behind your back.  It doesn't really matter what you think - what matters is what your GUESTS will think.  And they will think it's tacky, regardless of what they say to your face.
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OP - I used Honeymoonwishes.com.  The site was good, I didn't have any issues and it was easy to setup.

Not sure where you are going on your honeymoon/staying, but sometimes the hotel's have ones you can setup.  Soemtimes these don't take the fees that previous posters are referring to.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:70c503d1-c05f-4a19-849a-23bc0f5e602a">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so snarky and downright rude when someone asks a question about a topic they don't agree with.  She wasn't asking about your personal opinion on the issue, just for suggestions since people specifically asked her where they can donate money.  This is suppose to be a place to get support and answers to questions you have about your wedding, not get yelled at because people's personal opinions differ.  Not sure why attacking/making people feel bad about decisions they are making is a worthwhile cause.  Do something else if you can't be at least cordial and helpful.  <strong>Set a good example for your (future) kids. </strong> Don't be mean and a bully just because you can hide behind a computer and do it.
    Posted by dem068[/QUOTE]

I find the bolded to be really annoying and presumptive and also very condescending. Who says we all want kids? Why is that always the assumption with grown married/nearly married women? Seriously. The head patting will get you nowhere, and neither will making outdated assumptions about us just because we are women. So I guess because I don't want kids, I can act anyway I want? OK awesome. What about those women who want kids and can't have them? Super--excuse to be rude and let it all hang out. Great.

And fwiw, no one was rude, just blunt. If anyone was rude, I find it to be you, as you make assumptions about the posters on here you know nothing about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:52701603-6ba6-4a7f-b0be-1c6f40b54b04">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Websites : I find the bolded to be really annoying and presumptive and also very condescending. <strong>Who says we all want kids?</strong> Why is that always the assumption with grown married/nearly married women? Seriously. The head patting will get you nowhere, and neither will making outdated assumptions about us just because we are women. So I guess because I don't want kids, I can act anyway I want? OK awesome. What about those women who want kids and can't have them? Super--excuse to be rude and let it all hang out. Great. And fwiw, no one was rude, just blunt. If anyone was rude, I find it to be you, as you make assumptions about the posters on here you know nothing about.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I, too, am not having children. My choice. So, I guess I need to set a good example for my cats? I don't think they'll care very much since they have more of an attitude than I do.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-websites-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:45d5c0a0-030b-4cdb-9994-4b4e35bf56fcPost:8c5da8d2-b780-4654-9245-6fb18acdf641">Re: Honeymoon Websites</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Websites : I, too, am not having children. My choice. So, I guess I need to set a good example for my cats? I don't think they'll care very much since they have more of an attitude than I do.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>lmao, love it.  I too promise to set a good example for my beagle.  </div>
  • Options
    Really you guys are RUDE RUDE RUDE to each other. If someone wants go ask about a honeymoon registry let them. I'm pretty sure in this open forum they were asking questions for advice not snarky blunt comments. If you don't like the thread you don't have to respond this forum will go on without you leaving a comment on every thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards