Massachusetts-Boston

Professional Photography VS Friends

Help! I am on an extremely tight budget and I really wanted professional photographer for at least the formals. My fiance is dead set against spending any extra money on things like this (especially since we can barely afford to feed our guests!). He wants his brother to do the pictures, and he is great with a camera but he even told me himself he's not comfortable doing weddings. I see where my fiance is coming from but I really want some nice pictures. Can anyone suggest a really cheap way to get some great quality shots?
Anniversary

Re: Professional Photography VS Friends

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_professional-photography-vs-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:cd01b0e7-96f4-4570-b29b-cc80438cd19dPost:3e826b87-fd03-4a80-ba11-5a707fd75cc1">Professional Photography VS Friends</a>:
    [QUOTE]Help! I am on an extremely tight budget and I really wanted professional photographer for at least the formals. My fiance is dead set against spending any extra money on things like this (especially since we can barely afford to feed our guests!). He wants his brother to do the pictures, and he is great with a camera but <strong>he even told me himself he's not comfortable doing weddings</strong>. I see where my fiance is coming from but I really want some nice pictures. Can anyone suggest a really cheap way to get some great quality shots?
    Posted by Jessalyn2013[/QUOTE]

The bolded part would be enough of an answer for me.

I would email a few photographers to find out how much it would cost for them to come out for 2-3 hours to do the formals and ceremony so you have something to go on. 

I would try to reason with FI by reiterating what his brother already told you about not being comfortable with doing weddings. You are already spending money for this milestone in your life and after it is over, the only thing that will be left are the photos.
  • I think photos are an extremly important part, and as pp said, it's all you have left. I knew someone who got married and didn't hire a photographer and she got the crappiest pictures I had ever seen. I thought it was a shame because you want to be able to look back on that day and share those photos proudly. All she had were a bunch of grainy pictures. We have our photographer for 3 hours only....some getting ready shots, ceremony, and formal/fun pictures after. To me, that was more important than pictures of people dancing. I'd start looking around for someone for 3 hours.
  • Hiring a professional photographer by the hour is probably your best bet.  I know our wedding photog has that option.  I definitely recommend her for quality and price.

http://www.imcreativephotography.com
  • Thanks guys, I've been looking into a photographer for an hour or two but haven't quite found one that's in my budget. I will check out imcreative to see what kind of prices they have.
    Anniversary
  • Also check out New England School of Photography. There are lots of talented students who wouldn't charge a lot of money, but can still provide you with quality work.
  • Maybe some photographers will allow a payment plan that has the bulk payment the week after the wedding.  That way you can use money you receive as gifts to help pay for it.  I know times can be tough and I totally get what your fi is saying, but see if you can compromise and cut back on flowers or dinner or something like that in order to get good pictures.  This is your wedding day - don't regret anything.  Money will find its way somehow, but once the days over you can't re-shoot it.  If fi doesn't like having his picture taken he may be using money as an excuse to cut a photographer.  Let him know how important this is to you.
  • How cheap do you mean? If you're talking about a few hundred dollars then go with a student. If you're talking about less than a grand but more than $500 then there are a few photographers out there who are just trying to set out on their own. I looked at a couple in that range and can recommend them if you're interested.
    Definitely don't use the brother as he's not comfortable doing it. It sounds like your fiance is trying to convince him to do it when he doesn't want to and it is NEVER a good idea to put family in that position.
    PM me if you'd like some of those recs...
  • If your FBIL is not comfortable doing the pictures I would definitely look elsewhere.  I would find maybe a student that is trying to break into the business.  I know some students need the opportunity and you can probably get them pretty cheap.  The photos are the only thing after your wedding to look at and it would be a shame to spend all the money and have nothing to look at later in life.

Anniversary
  • I second JB.  I would say check with the photography departments of some of the local schools.

There are lots of students who would love to expand their portfolios.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've photographed weddings as a guest and it really takes away from the wedding experience. You can definitely send a note with your thank you cards asking for your guess to send a disk w a copy of th photos took, but also I believe someone else mentioned hiring a student or two...college students, especially art students are totally broke...throwing them a hundred bucks for formal and ceremony pictures could really save everyone some grief.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards