Wedding Invitations & Paper

80 vs. 100-lb paper for double-sided printing?

Hi there. We are ordering programs for DD's wedding and an available upgrade is going from 80 to 100-lb paper. It's about a 20% upcharge and the blurb on the website says it's ideal for printing on both sides, blah, blah, blah but of course they just want me to upgrade. The program is just text on one side and text and graphic on the other, both sides full color. I want them to look nice but hey, it's just a program so don't want to spend money needlessly if it really doesn't matter. 

CN: Do I spend the extra moola for heavier paper or just go with the standard? 

Re: 80 vs. 100-lb paper for double-sided printing?

• I always used 100lb paper back when I made these things. I think it would be worth it to use the thicker paper when printing double sided - plus if they're going to be folded or anything, I think it just looks better with a heavier cardstock. 

Do you have samples of both that you can play around with and see if it's worth it? Every paper is different, I'm just more inclined to upgrade if there's a doubt, ya know?
  • I think that 80 lb card stock would suffice for a program. Save the money :)
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Actually, Leisel, the invites for my Dad's bash came from the same place and are on 80 (they were one side only). So I will look at those and see. I don't want them to look/feel cheesy!

• I used an 80 lb. paper with an embossed border around the front of the invitation. You can see through slightly, but I don't think they look cheap or flimsy.
  • LeiselEBLeiselEB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_80-vs-100-lb-paper-for-double-sided-printing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:57c5d9a3-a987-41cb-8d06-f6fc8ae0da01Post:8327defa-8550-415d-ab22-3bd8ef46c6b7">Re: 80 vs. 100-lb paper for double-sided printing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, Leisel, the invites for my Dad's bash came from the same place and are on 80 (they were one side only). So I will look at those and see. I don't want them to look/feel cheesy!
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I'd check those! I think 80 would be fine, I just am really picky about paper and whatnot. </div>
  • If it was me, I would go with the upcharge for the thicker paper.  I went with 220lb instead of 110lb for my invites and the upcharge was work every penny!  We had a lot of debossing, so the thicker paper was worth it for the deeper imprint.  

If you aren't doing an embossing or debossing then I don't think it's critical.  However, for me the feel of thicker paper in your hand is much more satisfying.   And now I'm done making it sound like I'm in a love affair with card stock.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards