Catholic Weddings

Let's talk about sex... Holy Sex!

Anyone read it?

I admit, I flipped right away towards the back, the interesting part... the chapter, "The Anatomy of Infallible Loving: The Good Stuff."

And what was I greeted with?

"Before we begin, I have a little announcement. Ahem. 
I imagine some curious readers and bookstore flippers (you know who you are) might jump ahead to this chapter because they want to get to the good stuff and see what I have to say about 'doing the deed.' If you're one of those readers, all I can say is if you approach sex like you're approaching this book -- all in a rush to get to the big finish -- no wonder you need help! As Monty Python said in The Meaning of Life, 'Let's not go stampeding toward the clitoris, shall we?' I'll be sure to offer up a rosary for you. Make that two. Now, kindly flip back to page 1 and begin at the beginning. You've got a lot to learn before you're ready for this.
To the rest of you patient and thoughtful readers who have made the long journey with me to this point, I say, 'Welcome.'
This chapter will simply not have the same impact for anyone who has not been along for the whole ride. Unless you have learned the tools for distinguishing Holy Sex from eroticism and discovered everything we have discussed about what it really takes to become an Infallible Lover, you won't be able to appreciate what this chapter has to offer."

Lol... um, oops.
So, back to the beginning I went...

Now I'm about half-way through, and it seems pretty good. For someone (like me) who doesn't need a lot of convincing about the benefits of NFP or whether you're supposed to "use" people or not, I found some of it to be rather elementary (although presented in a very interesting and readable way!) 

However, I have been struck by at least one thing so far...
He provides several different quizzes, with some really great questions (that I would love to go through with DH!) and one thing I've noticed about my answers, is that while I always answer the questions of "what do you think/what do you believe" perfectly, it's the more personal, "what do you DO, how do you TREAT people" questions that I'm not so perfect on.
Interesting how they don't quite line up as neatly as I would like...

But I suppose that's kind of what the book is aiming at... to help us uncover and correct our sinful inclinations in how we treat people, which will, whether we like it or not, affect how we treat our spouse in the bedroom.
Anniversary

Re: Let's talk about sex... Holy Sex!

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I read it. He was a presenter at the TOB congress last year. I think its just yet another avenue to reach people.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, here's my duh moment for today: is the name of the book "Holy Sex"?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Never mind, I found it! Gregory Popcak...he is a FAVORITE of mine. I use his books in a therapy class I do, on relationships (unfortunately, minus the Catholic details since I work for a state facility). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards