Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Prenatal vitamins for hair growth?

This may sound silly but I guess its a question lots of people have, because I've asked some friends who are curious as well...

Has anyone here ever taken pre-natal vitamins just to promote healthy hair growth?  What was your experience with that?  Were there any side effects?

My hair is relatively thick and healthy, and I have a little over 10 months until my wedding, but I REALLY want to give it a growth boost.  I've also heard they make your hair healthier and thus more shiny.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with this?

Re: Prenatal vitamins for hair growth?

• Pre-natal vitamins do work for many people, but it's the biotin in the vitamins that promotes healthy hair and nails.  You can just take a biotin supplement every day, about 5000 mcg.. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks!  BTW, if you don't mind me asking - did you go to Univ of Central Fl?  If so - ME TOO!
  • I also take biotin, 1000 mcg/day. however, it doesn't make your hair grow FASTER (that is genetically predetermined) but biotin does make the new growth STRONGER. stronger hair = less breakage = your hair is able to grow longer before it starts breaking, splitting, and needing a trim = you have longer hair. my hair is shinier and healthier than it has been in the past, and I started taking biotin last winter.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • prenatel vitamins are great for all sorts of things. many drs are pushing women to take them as there daily vit. just because. Mine is even tho i'm still on B.C. so really the hair and nail growth is just a plus compared to how healthy they are for you. not to mention you can get them cheap at walmart or cvs!
  • I'm currently on prenatal vitamins but it  hasn't helped my hair growth whatsoever! It's a bit frustrating because I was expecting it to. I'm thinking it hasn't helped any because it doesn't have any biotin in it. Lately, hair growth options have become my new obsession. I read good reviews about the Mane N Tail shampoo, so I bought some today along with the conditioner-and hopefully it at least adds some shine! If all else fails, there's always extensions-even though I absolute abhor them. You do what you gotta do! haha
  • I graduated in 2008!  :D  So happy we stomped Tulane the other day!  Glad to see another Knight on here... I mean, there are 40k+ of us every year, so its not surprising to run into one! ;)
  • I started using them in the spring and I can notice a difference.  
  • Yes, I also take a pre-natal vitamin as well as a biotin. My dr was the one who told me to take the pre-natals and then my hair stylist suggested I just get the biotin. I take them both every day and I have noticed a difference. My skin and nails also look better.
  • I took a 5,000mcg biotin pill every day for a few months but I stopped a week ago after realizing it was the culprit of the unexplainable little bumps all over my face. They were there for months and didn't respond to anything I tried. Last week I saw a YouTube video review for biotin where the girl experienced the same thing. I googled and found that it either helps with your skin or makes you break out in either cystic acne or the little bumps I had. My skin looked back to normal 2 days after I stopped taking it. 

Anyway, that's just a warning if you experience the same thing because I was left confused for a few months, haha. 

As far as whether or not it actually worked for my hair, yes. My hair was stronger and healthier and thus sustaining better growth as PP said.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_prenatal-vitamins-hair-growth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:0e7354f7-9222-4993-8348-33b55bea973cPost:7ad5c4e1-e30f-4005-87d3-bea286ec9b72">Re: Prenatal vitamins for hair growth?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took a 5,000mcg biotin pill every day for a few months but I stopped a week ago after realizing it was the culprit of the unexplainable little bumps all over my face. They were there for months and didn't respond to anything I tried. Last week I saw a YouTube video review for biotin where the girl experienced the same thing. I googled and found that it either helps with your skin or makes you break out in either cystic acne or the little bumps I had. My skin looked back to normal 2 days after I stopped taking it.  Anyway, that's just a warning if you experience the same thing because I was left confused for a few months, haha.  As far as whether or not it actually worked for my hair, yes. My hair was stronger and healthier and thus sustaining better growth as PP said.
    Posted by kelseymw[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of that side effect, but thanks for letting us know! 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards