Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Theme

I need a theme for my bridal shower, which is Aug 8th. Any Suggestions?

Re: Bridal Shower Theme

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, you don't need a theme for your bridal shower. 

Your bridal shower "theme" can be "Janice is getting married.  Join us as we shower her with gifts".

I've actually been to far more showers without a theme, than showers with a theme. 

You can have a color scheme instead of a "theme".  You can have a food scheme (i.e. a dessert menu), but you don't have to have "Rainbows and Puppies" and have decor, food, invitations, and more loaded with rainbows and puppies.

Also, it rather sounds from your post like you're planning your own shower.  I hope you're just asking the question because the hosts of the shower have asked what you want for a "theme".  I say that because it's very poor form for a bride to throw her own shower.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love themes.

You can get ideas from this website: http://www.hostesswiththemostess.com/themes/bridal_showers

We're going with Something blue theme, my MOH got the little blue box (tiffany replica basically) invites online at dillards. com for $33.75 (for 24 of them), I bought the matching thank you cards online, the centerpieces (round vases) from Walmart $3/each, the tablecloths from Party City, she's filling lil blue boxes from Target $20 with blue/white m&m's from Party City, 4 bags at $5.99 each, the balloons will be from Party City, blue/white round ones and 2 shower (umbrella) ones and a wedding dress balloon.

Hope this helps !
  • edited December 2011
    No I am not planning my own bridal shower. Yes my MOH have asked what theme I want. I have no clue. I have not been to many weddings. She just came up with the idea of having a red carpet themed shower. I'm very hands on and am having a hard time letting them put everything together. As long as I'm included some what I'm fine. She's decided to let me pick the menu and theme.
    edited December 2011
    Then I'd simply tell her what the menu you want is, and that you don't feel the need for a theme.

Not having a "theme" will make planning much easier and probably less expensive as well.

I can promise that no one will leave your shower saying "Gee, It was so nice to see Mrs. Burrell open her gifts.  But I didn't really like the shower because it didn't have theme."
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • pulga131pulga131 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some people on these boards are so pushy.  It is completely up to you on whether or not you have a theme.  Don't feel like you can't have one just because some people on these boards don't like them!  I have been to several showers without a theme and I also just recently hosted a shower with a theme.  We chose an ABC theme because the bride, myself, the other host, and a majority of the guests are all teachers- and I really like the way it turned out.  THat doesn't mean someone has to find a gift that starts with Y if their letter is Y.  It just means that they had to come up with a sentence explaining the gift with a y- for example"here are some dishes for you to put Yummy food on".  The bride read the explanations aloud as she opened gifts and everyone really enjoyed the creative answers people gave.  We also played word scrambles and things like that.  I don't think a theme is for everyone, but they can be really fun if they are done right and aren't super restrictive. Other themes are around the clock, around the house.  There are plenty out there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    Where was I pushy?  I was merely pointing out that she doesn't have to have a theme.  Relax.
  • edited December 2011
    Isn't "Bridal Shower" its own theme?
  • edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids chose "High Heels, Hats and Handbags" for the theme.  I have no idea what the centerpieces are but I've been told they go with the theme.  The invitation I saw (one of my guests left it out when I was at their house) it was black, white and hot pink with a cute stiletto pump at the top. 

They are tying this into the bachelorette party somehow as well.  I think it could be fun!  I'm always up for a wearing a fun pair of heels!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • christina inachristina ina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH decided on a black and white theme, which I love.  Her bridal shower theme was Hawaii in honor of her honeymoon. When I was a MOH, I hosted a "pink" shower in honor of the bride's favorite color. I've also been to a tea party themed bridal shower.

October 2010 Siggy: Wedding bands

Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker

-Christina-
    :planning bio:
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a kitchen themed bridal shower where the gifts are all related to cooking etc, b/c she's a foodie.   I also recently heard about someone having an "around the clock" themed shower, where every guest got a different hour in the day, and they were supposed to get something for the bride to use in that hour.  For example, if you got 8:00 a.m., you could get the bride a wafflemaker or a coffee press.  if you got midnight, you could get her lingerie, or a snuggly blanket.  I thought it was a very cute idea, and not overly "themey" where people feel like they don't have options of things to buy.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.  Just make sure to relax, let your bridesmaids take the reign, and have fun!!
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In general many people on several of these different board topics are pushy with their opinions, but they're just that...their opinions and everyones got one and thats ok...its all in your presentation :)

If you want a themed bridal shower go for it or don't its whatever fits your personality.  A theme can really be as simple as coordinating colors throughout or as drastic as you want it to be.
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards