Snarky Brides
Options

Go ahead... Be snarky

Ok so I am fairly new in the planning process and have gone to look at a few reception venues.  When I meet with their reps and we talk about the 'vision' of the wedding they keep telling me how magical it will be and that it will be the most special day of my life etc. (Let me say first that I am not someone who is super excited about planning a wedding and am doing it somewhat reluctantly because what I really want is to have a huge party with all of our friends and family.) So my question is, am I going to have to talk to every prospective vendor about how magical our wedding day will be and all of this crap that I really don't believe in anyway. I think that might cause me to want to elope, which would kill my mom. What do you think? Is this going to be torture for me?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Go ahead... Be snarky

• Options
    I like sailing.  Boats are fun. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Tell them you don't want it to be magical. Maybe that will shut them up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just told these people that I was down to earth and uninterested in having a pretty princess day.  And if they say "magical" or "your special day" one more time, I'm going  to be very angry.
  • Options

Everyone dies someday.

Photobucket
  • Options
    So my question is, am I going to have to talk to every prospective vendor about how magical our wedding day will be and all of this crap that I really don't believe in anyway.

like, duh.
  • Options
    Magical?

People telling you that your wedding will be magical is so lame.  Either tell them "yeah, David Copperfield is coming" or just ignore these morons.

I feel the same way you do about planning.  I want a huge party I just hate dealing with all the details. 
    panther
  • Options

Just go in to every vendor meeting dragging a dead unicorn. That will let them know that you aren't interested in magic.

• Options
    David Copperfield is actually coming to my wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well, you can tell them you are a non-traditional couple. That's what FI and I did. We just said we're both artists and want a low-key garden party. We wanted a reception venue that was beautiful in its own right so decorations could be minimal and used to showcase the beauty of the building.

I dunno. That's all I got.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:54630913-4050-46c9-ac1b-32825b5f7ae3">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]David Copperfield is actually coming to my wedding.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]

You lucky slore.  :)
    panther
  • Options
    Just ignore them. I don't see the big deal of them saying it, that's what gets them business, saying crap like that to brides who soak it all in. You know what you want and you'll get it regardless of what they say, and it seems a bit over the top to want to elope all because someone calls a wedding magical. If it really bugs you, just tell them you prefer not to refer to your wedding like that and would appreciate them just calling it the wedding.

If they don't listen, then at least you have options and can go a venue that better suits your needs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:3f583765-c839-40b9-8fc4-46424190e3b4">Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE](Let me say first that I am not someone who is super excited about planning a wedding and am doing it somewhat reluctantly because what I really want is to have a huge party with all of our friends and family.)
    Posted by LindseyandBrian2011[/QUOTE]

So...you want the party, but not the wedding?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    arthomas82arthomas82 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    If this is an "issue" to you, you're in for a rude awakening as you progress throughout the process of planning your wedding.
  • Options
    You COULD ask them how many stations there will be with magic tricks to make this magic happen.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:c942a149-d15e-45cf-aec3-56acbd5037fd">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Go ahead... Be snarky : So...you want the party, but not the wedding?
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    I don't get that either. if that's how you feel, go to the JOP and just have a reception. make sure you kinda invite allaboutthebenjamins so she knows you are in love with her.
  • Options

I actually had this same problem.  I finally pushed play on my boombox and started singing THIS.

Arm flailing and glitter may or may not have been involved.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:6ae2cb55-ecd9-4e86-9837-44de9cf1adff">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go ahead... Be snarky : I don't get that either. if that's how you feel, go to the JOP and just have a reception. make sure you kinda invite allaboutthebenjamins so she knows you are in love with her.
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]

See, what I got out of that was she wanted a big party but she didn't want to marry the dude.  In which case, I'd suggest buying a house and having a housewarming party.  Or...just having a party.  But I'm clearly jumping to conclusions and I'm likely an asshole.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:563c9703-15f0-4d67-b1df-d17f47ce5cbd">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just go in to every vendor meeting dragging a dead unicorn. That will let them know that you aren't interested in magic.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

ding, ding, ding!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:50b03cfa-72b2-41bb-8662-5911265f24b3">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go ahead... Be snarky : See, what I got out of that was she wanted a big party but she didn't want to marry the dude.  In which case, I'd suggest buying a house and having a housewarming party.  Or...just having a party.  But I'm clearly jumping to conclusions and I'm likely an asshole.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Ooh, I didn't think of this. I thought she was just determined to prove she was the anti-bride. Clearly your analysis is correct.
  • Options
    I think it should be magical,Harry Potter themed would be perfect for you.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Where did OP go? Damn post-and-runners.
  • Options
    Would you be happier if they said "hi, we don't care about you or your dreaded day. Pay us a bajillion dollars and leave".... Because I can host your reception if it's that easy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:3a5978a2-8ae7-497b-a217-4f5ffc894c9e">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually had this same problem.  I finally pushed play on my boombox and started singing  THIS. Arm flailing and glitter may or may not have been involved.
    Posted by TheSaltyPeanut[/QUOTE]
    I legitimately fucking love that movie. Even if David Bowie's nuts are on prominent display throughout.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    And after watching that little number again, I'm shocked David Bowie is married to a woman. A hot one, at that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:c4336195-f58b-4048-9a2a-346368838614">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]And after watching that little number again, I'm shocked David Bowie is married to a woman. A hot one, at that.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is true, but I remember hearing Bowie and Iman met when they were dating the same man.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:3f583765-c839-40b9-8fc4-46424190e3b4">Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so I am fairly new in the planning process and have gone to look at a few reception venues.  When I meet with their reps and we talk about the 'vision' of the wedding they keep telling me how magical it will be and that it will be the most special day of my life etc. (Let me say first that I am not someone who is super excited about planning a wedding and am doing it somewhat reluctantly because <strong>what I really want is to have a huge party with all of our friends and family.</strong>) So my question is, am I going to have to talk to every prospective vendor about how magical our wedding day will be and all of this crap that I really don't believe in anyway. I think that might cause me to want to elope, which would kill my mom. What do you think? Is this going to be torture for me?  
    Posted by LindseyandBrian2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Isn't that what a wedding is?  Just don't have a long involved ceremony if you want to focus on the reception.  It's easy enough to have a 15-20 min ceremony and then start the party.  </div><div>
    </div><div>As for your vendors, go in with a plan (not super involved, simple decor, whatever) and beat them to the "it'll be so magical" bit.  "Hi Vendor, my name is LindseyandBrian, and we're looking for a simple and fun reception without a huge amount of frills.  We're not super into the whole fairy tale wedding, so what can you offer?"  Or, depending on how "huge" you want it to be, look into renting out space in a park or something where they have picnic areas and skip the whole vendor issue.</div><div>
    </div>
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:6ae2cb55-ecd9-4e86-9837-44de9cf1adff">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go ahead... Be snarky : I don't get that either. if that's how you feel, go to the JOP and just have a reception. make sure you kinda invite allaboutthebenjamins so she knows you are in love with her.
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]

Yeah you've got to<em> kinda invite</em> me.  I'm kind of a big deal.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:9a0c5bf5-f695-4e87-b0df-5dd6152ffbc4">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go ahead... Be snarky : Not sure if this is true, but I remember hearing Bowie and Iman met when they were dating the same man.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]
    Well that makes all kinds of sense. You learn something new every day.
  • Options
    The vendors think you're excited about getting married and it kinda is magical when it's your wedding....if you don't want the hoopla, consider a small wedding at hotel or party at hotel
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ahead-snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2181dda4-8831-486a-abf0-f5b84711e544Post:708d21bf-e02c-4e49-8764-019b92bae277">Re: Go ahead... Be snarky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go ahead... Be snarky : I legitimately fucking love that movie. <strong><u><em>Even</em></u></strong> if David Bowie's nuts are on prominent display throughout.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

What do you mean EVEN? 

Nut-hugging spandex?  Check.
    Platinum mullet?  Check.

Both valid reasons to not be embarrassed by your love of D.B  :)~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards