Pre-wedding Parties

Help! How to word it so that guests know they have to pay for own drinks.

We set up a couple of get-togethers for out-of-towners. One is drinks at a bar the day before the wedding and one is a picnic the day after. The picnic we are covering everything for food and drink. For the drinks at the bar we are not, only the wedding party and family are invited to the actual rehearsal dinner since most people are from out of town. Please let me know if you think I worded this so that people know we are not paying for drinks at the bar and if you have any better ideas??

http://alexisjameswedding.com/AJ/Friday_and_Sunday.html
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Help! How to word it so that guests know they have to pay for own drinks.

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just say "The bride and groom will be at X bar from (time frame).  The average cost of drinks there is $Y if you'd like to join them."
  • BriDeZEEluhBriDeZEEluh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_word-guests-pay-own-drinks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:254493c7-87d8-49e4-83a4-5d930bffcb2aPost:6404e981-a1d2-4ab2-8799-ae74859f606d">Re: Help! How to word it so that guests know they have to pay for own drinks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just say "The bride and groom will be at X bar from (time frame).  The average cost of drinks there is $Y if you'd like to join them."
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Yeah this ^^^
    Or, maybe you could say something like "meet us for an unhosted drink". IDK though maybe some of the others will have better suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    What if I just throw a (unhosted) or (cash bar) somewhere there?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I think it makes sense the way you wrote it.  First I would not expect you to pay for my drinks the night before your wedding.  You also indicated that you would be at  "x" location from "y" to "z" time and there was no need to RSVP.  That makes me think that it is a casual come and go event.  Knowing you said no RSVP neccessary makes me understand that you aren't gathering a head count for budget purposes. 

It made even more sense to me when I scrolled down and read the Sunday event information. 

I don't know why but I hate the way "cash bar" or "unhosted bar" sounds.  It also may be tricky to give an average drink cost as people drink anything from cheap beer to expensive wines and well vodka to top shelf martinis. I like the wording you have right now, sounds like a casual evening at the bar with friends and family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_word-guests-pay-own-drinks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:254493c7-87d8-49e4-83a4-5d930bffcb2aPost:88ebc427-e828-4456-a378-cd01df12f6fa">Re: Help! How to word it so that guests know they have to pay for own drinks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if I just throw a (unhosted) or (cash bar) somewhere there?
    Posted by AlexisLA[/QUOTE]

I would just say "The bride and groom will be at X bar from (time frame).  The average cost of drinks there is $Y if you'd like to join them."
    Posted by banana468

This is a much nicer way of saying the same thing.. i wwas thinking "cash bar" too until i saw this ^^^ do that :)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone Visit Omaha.Weddings.com Visit Sports.weddings.com
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards