Honeymoon Discussions

HELP! What's a good price for a flight to London?

Hi all!
   Our wedding date is June 15, 2013.  We want to do 2 weeks in Europe and leave within a few days of the wedding.  I KNOW that western Europe's tourist season is at this time.  However, before I pay an arm and a leg for airfare, I wanted to know what a "good deal" is for June.  Anyone know?  I live in Tampa and there are direct flights to London for about $1100 right now.  I am just wondering if I should book this rate or wait a while and hope they go down since I have 8 months.  
    Also, we wanted to do a week in the UK and a week in Greece.  So we assumed it would be cheaper to fly in and out of the same airport, probably London and then find a cheap flight roundtrip London Athens and fly back to Tampa from London.  Is this the best route?  Or would you suggest booking a one-way into city one and a one-way back home from city #2?

Thanks!

Re: HELP! What's a good price for a flight to London?

• I may not be too much help, as I have ever only ever traveled to Europe during shoulder or low season. However, I have never paid more than $950/person for the flight. the best time to book is around the 3-6 month mark. Since June will be busier there, maybe 6 months is a goos spot for you. Go onto kayak.com and create an auto search for your flight. It sends a daily price summary to you via e-mail and shows you how much it has gone up or down. Also, Bing may have a price indicator for that route. It doesn't have it for every route.

• The price is good but you may want to go talk to a local travel agent for recommedations & help booking. They can probably provide you with pricing options to help you figure out your best way.

a. fly into london then fly to greece, fly back to london & then the states
    a. fly into london, fly to greece, fly back to states
    a. fly in greece, fly to london & back to greece & the states

Also consider checking into the costs & time it would take to maybe travel from London to Greece via train. It would take longer but you would get to see so much more of the countrysides of eurpose that way.

Another thing to check out is organized tours. They might be able to help you find one that starts in London & ends in Greece. You won't get a full week in each town, but you would still get to see all the big sites in each town plus towns along the way. Then you just have to pay someone else to do all the work of booking hotels, transportation, and tours in all the towns.
  • We booked our trip to Europe using European Destinations.com and it worked out great. We had an open jaw flight like the other ladies were talking about and for everything and upgraded rooms we ended up paying about 2k each for a 2 week honeymoon. We went to London and Paris so it is a little different but I think you should check that website out.

• It really depends were you're flying from and when.

We did an open-jaw/multicity flight from O'Hare to Amsterdam, and London to O'Hare this spring.  I used Yapta.com to track flight costs (it was one of the only options I found to track multicity flights).  About 4 months out the price dropped to $899, which was over $100 drop so we booked that day.  I continued to track the flight and the prices just continued to rise, literally 2 days after the big price drop.  Before we left, the flights were up to $1500each.

Like pp's suggested, I am a proponent of multi-city flights because then you get to spend more time vacationing and less time physically traveling to get back to your original city.  Plus, when you include a one-way flight from say Athens to London, that's often more expensive than originally booking a multi-city flight.  Not only do you save the flight time, but also at least half a day with checkin and customs.
  • well, the fares are out so you can price them out.
    1100 rt to london sounds reasonable.
    you should check airports closer to you as well-atlanta, washington etc.. to see if the flight options are better or worse.
    you can split it up like tampa to atlanta to london and then athens to washignton to tampa. do the multi-city search on the different travel sites.

• My fiance and I will by flying to London from West Palm Beach. We paid just under $1000 for each ticket. Maybe wait a month and see if the prices go down!
  • I would wait a bit - my husband and I bought our tickets around the first of the year, and flew out 3 months later.  Since it was off-season we paid around $1500 total for flying into Paris and out of London (took the Eurostar between the cities).  It worked really well for us, though remember there may not be a direct flight from Athens to Tampa.  It really depends on what airline you decide to go with.  I stalked Expedia and USAirways for months before we finally pulled the trigger. 

If you're interested in staying in a rented flat in London instead of a hotel, try aplacelikehome.co.uk - we used them and I *loved* it.  Much cheaper than a hotel and we were staying in Chelsea. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards