Tennessee

Dinner or Cocktail reception?

Our wedding is August 21, 7pm reception at 8, and we only have the reception hall until 1.  My question is should we have a dinner or should we just have cocktails and light appetizers?

Re: Dinner or Cocktail reception?

• opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest serving either dinner or enough appetizers to constitute a meal.

Here's why: even though 8 PM is later than a lot of people eat dinner, the timing of the ceremony at 7 means that people will be traveling and arriving at the ceremony location between 6 and 7 (which is what I think of as dinner time). So they won't have had dinner when they arrive at the wedding.

If you do choose to have just light appetizers or dessert (maybe an option you hadn't thought of), you need to be clear about this in your invitation so that guests know not to expect a full meal. You can say something like "cocktail reception to follow" or "desserts and dancing to follow" to clue them in.
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You definitely need dinner, or I've heard 10-15 pieces of apps per person is enough food to fill people up, though I still think dinner is best.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    Dinner may even end up being cheaper for you.  When you start adding up enough hor d'erves to fill people up (since they probably didn't get much time to eat before the wedding), it can cost just as much as some dinners.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards