North Carolina-Outer Banks

transportation for event home wedding

I am looking for a venue to have in Duck, possibly.  We have found a beautiful event home that we both love.  Our only concern is the transportation of guests to and from the wedding.  THe rental company said that we can use a nearby grocery store or either their parking at their home office.  We have looked at some shuttle services that we have looked at, but It is hard for us to pay for someone to sit and wait until we need them.    I am wondering is there any one else that has had this issue to get about 75- 100 ppl to your event home.  I am desperate for any suggestions, or any thoughts that anyone else has had.  We have also thought of renting a van or something and having a friend/family member to shuttle but we dont want someone to feel obligated to doing that  and not be able to enjoy themselves at our wedding.  I would appreciate ANY SUGGESTIONS OR THOUGHTS..

Thanks
Amy

Re: transportation for event home wedding

• We are having my daughter' s wedding at an event home in Duck and will be using Sandy Beach Tours to shuttle all the guests (115) to the house. Sandy Beach Tours came highly recommend by all of our vendors. When we contacted Sandy last year around this time she "penciled" us in for the wedding date. Made me a little nervous we were only " penciled" in. When we were in OBX in August we stopped into her scooter store to met her and discuss how the transportation all works. She is very good at thinking out all the scenarios and how to get the guests to the wedding. But we were still in her book but no contract yet. In January Sandy called me to confirm that we still needed/ wanted transportation and finally we signed a contract and gave a deposit. She offers multiple options for pick up to get the guests to the wedding and other options to shuttle the guests home. Hope this was helpful. I will send you a private message with my email address if you want more info.
  • Thank you so much, I will call them to see if we can get "penciled" in too.  This is the biggest worry that we have.  It is soooo hard to try and plan every detail.  I wish you all the best at your daughter's wedding.
  • As the mother of the bride, transportation and parking has been my biggest stress. Sandy of Sandy Beach Tours is very conscientious about the money part of hiring her. She offered options so that we would not be wasting money on an idle bus and van when we would not need them during the reception.

We also strongly suggested to our family and friends if they were going to rent a house, to try to find one near us. I gave them maps of the area and names of multiple rental companies that have homes in our area. My daughter also included this info on her wedding website. We have three relatives(families) that will be renting homes that are: 3 streets from us, one mile away and 2.5 miles away. We will be using their homes to park the cars/vans of all of us that are staying at the event home. We need to have the parking at the event home open for the vendors. We will move all our vehicles to their homes the day of the wedding. Except keep one car at the house in case of an emergency. 

Also we gave our guest only two hotel options, Holiday Inn in Kitty Hawk and Hampton Inn in Corolla. In hopes that they would all stay only at these two, which will make shuttle service easier. Sandy starts her buses/vans on the pay-roll clock at the Wright Memorial and works her way north, so a stop at the Holiday Inn is on the route. (We were going to choose the Hilton Garden Inn but their "blocks of rooms" service were all taken up) We are also having a shuttle bus go directly to Corolla and make it's way south to the event home in Duck.

We will see how this all works out this summer! Smile

• Thank you so much for your information.  I will definately give Sandy Beach Tours a call.  Our event home is in Duck, fairly close to the Hampton Inn so maybe we can have all of our guest there. Also some family members will stay in another home.  Hopefully we can get everything worked out!!  I hope it all goes well for you for this summer!!
  • Congrats and welcome!

Also, look into Corolla Shuttle @ http://www.corollashuttle.com/

• Amy-

I'm assuming you haven't booked an event home yet..My fiance and I LOVE Duck and stay there every year and really wanted to be married on the beach and have an outdoor, tented reception at an event home there. Some of the issues we ran across were: finding a home that would allow 100+ ppl, finding a home that allowed tents (and had a yard big enough for an outdoor reception), finding a home that had parking nearby so that we could avoid the added expense of a shuttle, finding a beach that allowed chairs/benches (without having to sneak them on & off), finding a home that didn't charge an event fee and had a hotel nearby. This lead us to broaden our search criteria and we found Pelican's Landing in Corolla. You don't have to rent it for the whole week, it's oceanfront, parking for 50 cars is one block away (parking for an add'l 50 cars is 2 blocks away), it comes with most of the items you would need to rent (tables, benches for ceremony, plates, silverware, glasses, dance floor, bar, firepit, tiki torches) but you still need a tent, linens and chairs. The owner sets up the tables and chairs and benches on the beach (free) but you need to decorate. You also need to hire Coastal Provisions Catering but their food is great and some of their drop off food starts at $10/pp. Hampton Inn Corolla is 6 miles down the street. That venue solved the majority of our issues :-). Happy Planning!
  • Hi Amy,

We have parking at our venue but I was just so nervous about people drinking and driving  - that transportation was a must for us. We booked the OBX Trolley for our wedding transportation. It is pricey but we are getting it for 14 hours and plan on using it to transport everyone back and forth. Downfall - they don't have pricing options for the hours that you won't need it (during ceremony and reception) like some other transportation companies give you - you pay for every hour. But the trolley is just so cute - I couldn't stop thinking about it after I saw it . :) 
  • We are using Sandy Beach Tours AND OBX Trolley.  We managed to get a deal from OBX Trolley for them to block off time for us from 9:30pm and 12:30 am (a few runs, not everyone will want to go home at the same time...) because they already had an event earlier in the day.  We wanted to do it for the whole day but couldn't.  We are going with a 35 passenger bus from Sandy Beach Tours to take people from our ceremony, on the beach to our venue 108 Budleigh.  Sandy is GREAT!  IF you are looking at Duck, also look at the Saltaire House.  We considered it but its not Oceanfront...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards